• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

https://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-SciFi&series=Journey Into Space
According to the listings, that should have all series including the 80s revival for stream or download.
They have a solid archive of old shows although they are mostly American.
thanks wam i listen on the pc but it dont seem as good now as it did on my radio back in the 50s:grinning:

Remember it well, and the sense of exciting adventure, quite tame to todays special effects, recordings, but for a 50's lad with not much, it was Dan Dare from the "Eagle" brought to life!!

What a legend Les Ross was on BRMB, I ate a lot of toast and porridge while laughing at his “Yesterday Never Comes” in the mornings all those years ago. Does anyone else remember Miss Take, the part-time SAS group leader (nim, nim, nim) and the other characters that lived in “Little Wittle, not far from Wattle?”

This is for all people of a certain age - Meet The Huggetts is on BBC Sounds 4x at the moment. Haven't had time to listen to it as I've been listening to Paul Temple. I'm pretty sure it was Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison in the main parts.

This is for all people of a certain age - LP is on BBC Sounds 4x at the moment. Haven't had time to listen to it as I've been listening to Paul Temple. I'm pretty sure it was Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison in the main parts.
i love the old progs on 4x......you are correct LP .... Light-hearted comedy-drama starring Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison as Joe and Ethel Huggett,

when i was on nights and the roads were quite ( long ago) i would sit in my patrol van and listen to radio 4.,and the world service when it swiched over to it "Sailing By" is played every night on BBC Radio 4 at around 00:45hrs before the late Shipping Forecast. Its tune is repetitive, assisting in its role of serving as a signal for sailors tuning in to be able to easily identify the radio station

i have a marine radio on listening to chanel 16. 24/7

You can still hear it every day on BBC Radio4
Yes, they have a daily snigger about it interrupting the Test Match commentary on BBC Radio's Test Match Special, if you are listening on Radio 4 Medium Wave (particularly the Aussie commentator Jim Maxwell :)).

The shipping forecast is particularly useful ii you live by the sea. Where I live the WX reports for Plymouth - lets you know what is likely to head your way - and Portland where the WX is imminent. Gives you time to 'batten down the hatches' if necessary.

Hi,

For those who have a short wave receiver, the Dutch Coastguard broadcasts a forecast
daily at 0940 and 2140 GMT, in English then Dutch, on 3673 kHz USB.

Kind regards
Dave

i have a ham tx/rx radios vhf uhf all modes am fm up
As I’m sure you remember, up until perhaps the mid 2000’s the shortwave bands were full of English language broadcasts from all over the world and listening to them could be a real education. Most of my listening was done on old, multi band Soviet built Vega Selena/VEF radios bought second hand. That spurred me on to buy newer radios with SSB that allowed me to receive ham transmissions, military communications, weather stations and the mysterious number stations. Sadly, the vast majority of state operated broadcasts went online and disappeared from the airwaves but the other stuff remains. Capable shortwave radios can be bought a lot cheaper nowadays and it’s always worth having one around.

i was watching a movie last night and they were using cheap handheld radios on the ham bands repeater freq. naughty naughty

i have a ham tx/rx radios vhf uhf all modes am fm upper usb lsb
recives most transmisions and a hf radio 500 kh to 70 megz

Hi Pete,

That sounds like you have an Icom 7300 - very nice.

I still use my FT857D for most things, but I do have a few other bits and bobs which
rarely get used.

Kind regards
Dave

my sis lived just over the river from the station right by the masts. a few times her astra car would not start,the rac had to tow it upthe rd a bit away from the masts, makes you think. i did have a nose around the station when i visited sis.
my FT 897d and icom kenwoods are packed away now. i use vhf/uhf the cheap baefung radios they work just fine. out in the field.

Last edited:
my sis lived just over the river from the station right by the masts. a few times her astra car would not start,the rac had to tow it upthe rd a bit away from the masts, makes you think.
The P38 Range Rover had a bit of a reputation for being immobilised by stray radio fields. I always fancied one, but stopped at the RR Classic, after 4 of them in succession, which wasn't stopped by anything.
Andrew.

when they fitted radios to our triumph patrol bikes. when you key'd the mike the engine cut out. alarming when you was riding along the road in traffic

Back