• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

priddy william charles

worcester

proper brummie kid
william charles priddy
eliza amplias fox
married 1897 2 quarter
vol 6d 213

any body links /info
greatly appreciated

regards worcester

Worcester, As you have this information I would say it would be worthwhile sending for the certificate. This will give you a lot of information. Birmingham registry office is brilliant and you can do it on line.

Worcester the marriage is 1896.

Perhaps this will help.
1901 census
69 Gladys road,Smethwick
William PRETTY age 27 b.Birmingham Brown Saddler
Amplias wife age 26 b. West Bromwich
Henry age 3
Charles age 4 months

Bell barn Lane
William PRETTY age 48
Ann age 43
William age 18 Saddlers apprentice
Florence 13,Edith 11,Ellen 9,Richard 7,Emily 3,Harriet 3 months

thnx
alberta/moma p
bell barn lane any ideas? gladys road ?
family folklore says he was a saddler/boot master??
and worked/lived in wellington road perry barr at the turn of the century
had four boys

harry?
charlie
harold james b 1905 260 wellington road my maternal grandfather
berty ? poss died aged 5

any body recognise / researching these names
regards worcester

Hi worcester

Right, here we go, children of William and Eliza. I searched through all the years and didn't find one Priddy that i could say was yours so as that 1901 Census said Pretty i thought i would check them out --

William Henry Pretty 1st qtr 1898 Birmingham 6d 30

Charles Walter Pretty 2nd qtr 1901 W Bromwich 6b 921

Harold James Pretty 2nd qtr 1905 W Bromwich 6b 830

Richard Herbert Pretty 2nd qtr 1907 W Bromwich 6b

Death: Richard H Pretty 3rd qtr 1911 W Bromwich 6b1057 4yrs old.

I would say these are all your Priddy family, these was all isolated, in other words, plenty of Pretty around but not in these areas. Looks like they lived in Brum after they wed then moved between 1898 and 1901 to WestBrom, her home town.
I must say that is the most consistent bit of mistranscription i have seen OR as happened in my family, Eliza was illiterate and with her accent Priddy always sounded like Pretty to the registrar, feasable ?

Hope this helps, let me know what you think or anyone reading this.

Bren

Me again

Alberta was correct, the marriage was 1896 not 7 and the name was Priddy

Bren

Sorry, just noticed i missed the page number for Richard Herbert birth--

W Bromwich 6b 853

Bren

Priddy was not mistranscribed the surname of this family was Pretty if you follow William snr back through all censuses.

Worcester have you seen the original certificate?

I have checked all Williams family back through the censuses and although they have many spellings on entries on the GRO originals it is always Pretty.

Thanks for that Alberta, obviously i don't know the family history of this family and was just going by worcesters first post, now if you had said that at the start of the thread you could have saved me from looking for Priddy :) . Still, at least we now know that those i have posted are more than likely the correct ones and the marriage one was mistranscribed, we get there, eventually LOL.
Once again, thank you for clearing that up.

Bren

apologies bren/alberta

as you can tell a lot of this info is family folklore

only concrete evidence i have about william charles pretty is
grave no and burial date

everything else has been gleaned by census and info supplied by other sources..as you probably know this is not an exact science..
hope this explains mysterious postings

i will keep digging

regards worcester

Back