• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Mike

So the Bingley Works was the building that later housed the Tow Rope Café that I spent so much of my misspent youth in and later the establishment shown I this photo.

Attachments

• City Broad St ex Tow Rope Cafe.JPG
    City Broad St ex Tow Rope Cafe.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 108
Many thanks lads...good work as per....nice map mike...QUESTION....I'm trying to do a piece on Moor Green and the houses therein...and this one looks a belter...Moor Green Hall...and this is the only ref I can find, courtesy of you Phil I think! I nicked it yonks ago? Anyway, does anyone have a proper shot of this nice building by any chance...or a map of where it was precisely? Ta...

charlotte-chamberlain-s-ex-libris-plate-shows-the-family-home-moor-green-hall-charlotte-was-born.jpg

And does anyone know if this lovely old house. which I understand was once a Nursing home of sorts...is still with us in another restaurant, guest house form, on the corner with Cotton Lane....? Ages ago on a past thread ...mike tracked it down to 38 Wake Green Rd....corner of Cotton Lane...I'm hoping it's on Google...or if not, whatever replaced it! Your mission, if you choose to accept...! Cheers...

The Dingle, Wake Green Road.jpg

Dennis
I think it must have been largely rebuilt,in a vaguely similar style, but they still seem to have a very tall chimney at the cotton road end, which might be original. At one time it used to be OK to almost rebuild an old building in restricted areas, provided at least one wall of the original remained.
Moor green Hall can be seen on this c1916 map

map_c_1916_showing_Moor_Green_Hall.jpg

Brilliant...thanks mike...you are a star....and my next query.....this was posted by Tom Burke this morning...on FB...and it is captioned the Moat House, Lyttleton Road, Hay Mills....? Now Lyttleton Rd Stechford I know well....and there ain't no water or stream anywhere near....but Hay Mills....never heard of it? Anyone any clues as to where this might be?

Moat House, Lyttleton Road, Hay Mills....jpg

Mike,

Thanks very much for the map of Bingley Works - I'll add that to the article on Genton & Kessler.

Phil,

Thanks very much for the photograph too - I would imagine it was the same building - it certainly has the appearance of factory premises.

Maurice

Brilliant...thanks mike...you are a star....and my next query.....this was posted by Tom Burke this morning...on FB...and it is captioned the Moat House, Lyttleton Road, Hay Mills....? Now Lyttleton Rd Stechford I know well....and there ain't no water or stream anywhere near....but Hay Mills....never heard of it? Anyone any clues as to where this might be?

View attachment 96318

Dennis

I have the same photo as you tagged Stechford, but I also have this one tagged Sheldon, I'm willing to bet they are the same house. The map (not a very good one) locates the moat house just down the road from St Giles Church on the other side of the road.

Attachments

• Sheldon Moat House & Moat c1920.JPG
    Sheldon Moat House & Moat c1920.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Moat House.JPG
    Moat House.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 42
Dennis

I have the same photo as you ragged Stechford, but I also have this one tagged Sheldon, I'm willing to bet they are the same house. The map (not a very good one) locates the moat house just down the road from St Giles Church on the other side of the road.

Brilliant deduction Holmes.....I heartily concur.....Hay Mills indeed! A million thanks...I can now be clever on the RB site and everyone will think I'm a genius, instead of you...as per usual...I always take other people's credit.... sigh...it's s burden, but one I've got used to now....!:tranquillity:

and for more info...try this...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1543169045933094&set=gm.584228608375376&type=1

Last edited:
It is Hubert Road to the right of the picture.and Gristhorpe Road to the left just before the lady.I used to live just off Gristhorpe road.Happy Happy days.

devonjim,

I think your photo has more chance of being taken from just before the junction of All Saints Rd with Abbots Rd, here.

Attachments

• All Saints Rd.JPG
    All Saints Rd.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 57
A busy day in Bradford St, mind you every day was busy in Bradford St at one time. I have a memory about this photo concerning the shop just adjacent to the lead bus. This shop was later a hairdressers shop that was owned by a mate of mine Arthur Brittain, This would have been in the mid to late 60's, did anybody use it?

Attachments

• Camp Hill Bradford Street from City [1].JPG
    Camp Hill Bradford Street from City [1].JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 122
The second bus coming up Bradford Street is a number 32. It was one of the routes I could catch, from Hall Green Parade, to go into town. The other main route from there would be a number 37, which would go to Camp Hill and then Digbeth and eventually Albert Street. The lead bus does not have a route number so may be a "short-working". Incidentally, I have a photograph in a book of bus registration CVP 127, which looks exactly like CVP 160 in the picture. So we may be looking at a 1937 DaimlerCOG5/Metro-Cammell 1060. They worked the Birmingham routes for over 20 years. Great picture of Bradford Street. Dave.

Bus 1060, CVP 160, was most likely on of the pre-war (WW2) buses pressed back into service, from storage or snow plough duties, when BCT took over some former Midland Red services to New Oscott and other parts nearby around 1957/8 I believe. There were, I gather around 40 of the 1937 Daimler buses involved. They were all withdrawn by the end of 1960. Incidentally bus 1022 CVP 122 had its top deck removed and the lower deck was decorated as the cities Festival of Britain bus in 1951. It toured the city: I saw it in Hall Green. I did get permission from BCT to photograph the bus which was based at Kyotts Lake Road.

£rearof  old manor house green lane 1912.jpgCame across this today anyone any idea where the Manor House Green Lane Small Heath was I have looked on the couple of 1880 maps I have but I can't find it

It might be Phil all the other big houses are on the maps I have but I don't know what they looked like 1912 is quite late for the area which was quite built up by then so that is one of the few remaining options .

This is from an old Small Heath Local History 'Book' "ABC of Small Heath and Bordesley Green" by Bob Marsden, a local historian - from 1987....
hope it helps....

Old Manor House.jpg

Well done Dennis, this explains why the building looked so small and cottage like for what was supposed to be a Manor House, when there were some very large excellent houses in the area.

That would make it the pink building in the c1889 map. From the map it liiks like the main entrance was from Grange Road, so this view would be from Green Lane

map_c_1889_showing_cottage_labelled_as_old_Manor_house_in_postcard.jpg

Cheers Lads thanks for the help and well done Dennis , Bob's a better historian than he was barber do you remember his shop on Bordesley Green by Carlton Road

Cheers Lads well done Dennis Bob's a better historian than he was barber do you remember his shop on Bordesley Green by Carlton Road

No sorry Bernie...I used Tony East in Albert Road, Stechford....! But Bob's books are ace...although the photos are not much bottle, but the text is good, if a little primitive! And thanks to mike and Phil for their input..

Highfield Rd, Edgbaston c1966, when I first saw this I asked myself why would a number 8 bus be in Highfield rd. It was then that I realised that it must have been due to a diversion, perhaps the building of the Five Ways underpass. Was it as early as 1966?

Attachments

• Edgbaston Highfield Rd.JPG
    Edgbaston Highfield Rd.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 96
Back