• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mrs Keelings corner shop, Nortons Birmingham

D

dolores

I have lived in Gloucestershire all my life but my paternal family is from Aston & Handsworth. My father was killed in WW2 and my mother wanted me to keep in touch with my father's family so we used to go regularly to visit my Grannie's in Handsworth. She lived in Clarence Road, and there was a sort of back alley to the house. at the end of the alley was Mrs Keeling's shop. I had my first ice lolly there.
My Grannie & my Auntie used to take me to a big store in Birmingham, I think it was called Nortons. I used to visit Father Christmas there. It was like real maguc to me.
When I had my own children, and later grandchildren I used to take them locally to see Father Christmas, but I never recaptured the magic of the big store in Birmingham

Nortons

Hello Mary
The other thing that I remember about Nortons was that the cash was put in a small "basket" and went on a wire system to the accounts office. I had no idea about accounts offices etc in those days, funny because now I am an accountant!
I used to think it was magic the receipt and change would wing it's way back to the shop assistant. I would just stand there and try to work out what was going on. I used to think it was magic.
Your Mum might have been up there at the time!
Dolores

I've got a photo of Nortons ...it was in Key Hill. in Hockley.. if that is the one. I've also got a catalogue of the things that they sold...I think it is dated around the 30's if not earlier looking at the fashions. Will try and put it on here if I can work out how to do it...if not I can email you acopy...just let me know. I never knew the shop but my husband's firm is now built on it!!!!!!

what a lovely photo... it is the shop.. my photo seems to be taken coming down Key Hill from Great Hampton street ... I haven't seen this before... I remember when I was about 7/8(1957)...I must have been ill and not at school... I came to meet my dad, with my mom, at Lunch time...he worked at LENCHES. Arterwards we went shopping..it must have been at these shops 'cos I know it was near. I was treated to a boook at Wooolworths..I remember the wooden floors and what seemed to me very tall counters!!. The book was Little Women...(one of theclassic series that were printed on cheap paper with a little man with a top hat on.) !!I always wondered what that road looked like... I never went there again as we lived in Great Barr

Seeing the 'photo of Lodge Road, Key Hill and Nortons brought back memories (a very long time ago) of my mother taking me there on a Saturday. I can't remember whether Nortons sold clothes or household items or both. Does anyone know what they used to sell?
Anthea

Thanks, Postie. I had an idea Nortons sold the kind of things listed, but I think my Mom took me there for my clothes. Anthea.

Back