• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

pretty sure i have the location now...i think its taken at the no 5 terminus at villa road...i knew that part of villa road down as far as hamstead road junction was pretty leafy so checked my villa road photos..below is the photo in question showing a shed like building with gates to the left...the next photo shows the no 5 at the terminus also showing the shed like building with gates to the left..church on the corner of soho road and villa road slightly obscured..

2129A83E-1FBB-4051-9540-0A87B044BA55 (1).jpegVilla Road no 5 terminus.jpg

Well done Lyn, definitely the same shabby gates and stone gateposts. I'm not familiar with that part of Birmingham so it's really good to see all your pics. What was the name of the church?
hi pen not certain of the full name but its a methodist church...i would have to check back but from memory i think it was the one our late peter walker attended from a child and was in the choir in later life i think he also made a lovely replica of the church which could still be inside the church...church is still there

lyn

That’s great detective work ! Thanks Lyn and all who’ve contributed. If Mods agree, please could posts #461 to #488 be moved to the Villa Road thread. Many thanks. Viv.

My Grandad Thomas Paine had a Gentleman's Outfitters Shop on Lichfield Road Aston not far from the Station . He also worked for a pawn brokers in Aston and later as a clerk at GEC Witton

Attachments

• 55EEA060-441E-459B-AE0E-0C222FA7DE1E.jpeg
    55EEA060-441E-459B-AE0E-0C222FA7DE1E.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
An article in the Evening Despatch on 18th August 1939 gives the location of the fire as on the corner of Waterworks Street and Lichfield Road and names the occupier of the premises as Mr B J Banning.
There was a tyre company still owned by a descendant of the Banning Family on Lichfield Road Aston up until 2018.

Hi everyone

I'm trying to find any old pictures of Litchfield Road in Aston that might shed some light on a bit of family history. The census for 1881 shows a William H Harrison and his wife Caroline owning / running a butchers at no 94 Litchfield Road. They had a couple of servants working for them so I'm assuming it might have been a quite respectable place. Any old pics of this area giving an indication of what the area looked like back then would be greatly appreciated - as would any links to other places of research.

Thank you very much in advance

Kind Regards

Mike Holmes

Hi everyone

I'm trying to find any old pictures of Litchfield Road in Aston that might shed some light on a bit of family history. The census for 1881 shows a William H Harrison and his wife Caroline owning / running a butchers at no 94 Litchfield Road. They had a couple of servants working for them so I'm assuming it might have been a quite respectable place. Any old pics of this area giving an indication of what the area looked like back then would be greatly appreciated - as would any links to other places of research.

Kind Regards

Mike Holmes
hi mike we always advise members to start reading a thread from post 1 because you may miss something...in this case you missed a photo of no 94 which was still a butchers shop many years after your family had it...you will find the photo on post 38 and also when you come back to a thread always start reading it from the last post you made again in case you miss any info posted

lyn

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Kind Regards

Mike Holmes
Have you seen this photo?

Attachments

• lichfield-rd-#94&96.jpg
    lichfield-rd-#94&96.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 5
Back