• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hockley hill post office

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all....i was very kindly given permission this morning to look round the inside of hockley hill post office...its 100 years old this year..i was also very touched at the ww1 war memorial they have inside the building to honour those who worked at the post office but died in action...the post office is still used for sorting mail and to collect mail that could not be delivered but of course the main post office section is now closed to the public..most upsetting to hear that massive saws were taken to demolish the wondeful old serviing counter that was there...will they never learn i ask myself..anyhow here are a few pics and many thanks to tony fearn the manager for showing me around...

lyn

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 031.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 031.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 8
  • hockley 1.4.11 012.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 012.JPG
    674.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
...the photo is of sergeant albert gill killed in action july 1916..if you save and zoom into the plaque names will be clearer...

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 028.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 028.JPG
    602.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
sorting office..

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 022.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 022.JPG
    708.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
the locker room...original flooring..

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 035.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 035.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
  • hockley 1.4.11 036.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 036.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
tony fearn the manager and that wonderful table is still used today...

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 038.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 038.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
these pics are of what used to be the customers post office room...again all original flooring.. the empty area is where the serving counter used to be

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 051.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 051.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 4
  • hockley 1.4.11 052.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 052.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
  • hockley 1.4.11 053.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 053.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
2 more of the post office section

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 054.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 054.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1
  • hockley 1.4.11 047.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 047.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
staircase...

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 045.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 045.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • hockley 1.4.11 046.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 046.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
last 2 for now...the loading bay and boiler room...

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 039.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 039.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 0
  • hockley 1.4.11 042.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 042.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
staircase...

These are great Lyn. Can't you just feel the 100 years of hands that have used that stair rail? Beautifully curved wood at the end. The quality cupboards too give a little taster of the earlier furniture. Lovely. Thanks Lyn. Viv.

must say i really enjoyed going round and when i got to see the actual post office section the years just rolled back..its been all of 40 years since i worked in vyse st and i went through those wonderful doors as as office junior to take the mail in..ive a few more pics of the upstairs that were as offices and are in quite a state at the min and the future of the building is not known but at least for now it is still in use and for that we must be externaly grateful..will post them later when i have time...

lyn

thanks both..]must say i really enjoyed going round and when i got to see the actual post office section the years just rolled back..its been all of 40 years since i worked in vyse st and i went through those wonderful doors as as office junior to take the mail in..here are a couple more of the upstairs and the future of the building is not known but at least for now it is still in use and for that we must be eternally grateful..

lyn[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• hockley 1.4.11 057.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 057.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 1
  • hockley 1.4.11 062.JPG
    hockley 1.4.11 062.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
These are great Lyn. Can't you just feel the 100 years of hands that have used that stair rail? Beautifully curved wood at the end. The quality cupboards too give a little taster of the earlier furniture. Lovely. Thanks Lyn. Viv.

i know just what you mean viv...must let you know though that if you are referring to pics 6 and 7 they are not cupboards but the entrance doors from hockley hill although i can see what you mean...

Last edited:
The contrast in the buildings along that stretch of road is good to see. It's interesting that the Gem building was built only a mere 2 years after the PO. The Gem building must have been ultra modern for it's time. I expect the PO stuck to an older style in order to maintain an air of respectability, a place you could trust. Viv.

i know just what you mean viv...must let you know though that if you are referring to pics 6 and 7 they are not cupboards but the entrance doors from hockley hill although i can see what you mean...

Yep, just zoomed in. Lovely quality doors!! So are these a sort of inner door on the other side of the entrances? Viv.

yes viv thats right...they are really super...and heavy if memory serves me right....

lyn

Thank you, Lyn, for taking the initiative & to the manager Tony Fearn for his kindness in showing you round this striking building.

Many thanks Lyn. As I've said before, my dad used to work out of here, and delivered post around the South Road/St Michaels Hill area so it's wonderful for me to see inside.

thanks all...i just hope this building remains for a long time to come...charlie what years was your dad there...

lyn

Lyn., my dad worked there for years, certainly from 1945 (which is as far back as I can remember) until he retired around 1960. I remember he always wore the thick serge uniform with cap and carried a large brown bag over his shoulder - whatever the weather.

It's a shame there are no photo's on this thread due to the hacking, this was taken today and the building looked magnificent in the bright sun

Old 010.jpg

​bren

Last edited:
bren i am pretty sure that i still have the inside shots i took a couple of years back...will try and find time over the weekend to re post them for you...

lyn

Lyn I've got 21 that you took, not sure if that's all. So if you can't find them I'll post them

I was in there Wednesday collecting a parcel.
Was talking to the guy as there is a lot of hammering and banging going on inside.
The collecting office which at moment is door far right is moving to door far left.

Back