• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HMS Birmingham - Tompion

chocks2

master brummie
Found this today. A "Tompion" (the bit you put in the end of a ships gun to stop the bad wheather getting in). It must be from the WWII HMS Birmingham. Thought it may be of interest to someone?
View attachment 60425

I can remember having a fund raising event at Yardley Wood Senior Boys, some the crew came along, you could join
Royal Navy quite young in those days, not sure but I think she was a Destroyer, not doubt some member of the
Senior Service will enlighten us very soon, there was a "Class" of ships with town names, Coventry, Sheffield etc;
Bernard

She was a light cruiser Bernard. The later post- WW2 one was a destroyer.
There are some details of the one mentioned here at https://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-06CL-Birmingham.htm, with a picture, though not a very good one. There was an earlier cruiser during WW1 also. I presume that the Tompion (I didn't know what that was till chocks explained) wouldn't have come from this earlier one as it was sold (presumably with Tompion ) in 1931. There seem to be plenty of pictures of the earlier one, but a shortage of the WW2 one
mik-

The Tompion could have come from either of the Cruisers, both had 6" guns and this tompion has a 6" Diamiter plug

There have been 3 HMS Birminghams.
The first was a Town Class {sub division, Birmingam Class} light Cruiser serving from 1913 to 1931.
The second was a Town Class {sub division, Southampton Class} light Cruiser from 1936 to 1959.
The last being a Type 42 Destroyer, serving from 1976 to 1999

View attachment 60464 View attachment 60463 View attachment 60462 View attachment 60461

I didn't know what a tompion was either...thanks Chocks.
The official pin up girl of the middle H.M.S.Birmingham,was someone I know.:):):)
The last one at it's launch was visited by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham...George Canning,an ex navy man.

I didn't know what a tompion was either...thanks Chocks.
The official pin up girl of the middle H.M.S.Birmingham,was someone I know.:):):)
The last one at it's launch was visited by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham...George Canning,an ex navy man.

Ray.
I remember the launch and I remember George Canning but for some reason I always seem to miss out on the pin up girls.
Such is life!

Found this today. A "Tompion" (the bit you put in the end of a ships gun to stop the bad wheather getting in). It must be from the WWII HMS Birmingham. Thought it may be of interest to someone?
View attachment 60425

Chocks,

It may be me but I have my doubts about this Tompion, ie what are the three holes for, as far as I can remember they pushed into the barrel and I don't remember them being brass but it was a long time ago and as I say it may be me but if anyone was going to buy one they would be wise to contact the RN museum in Portsmouth.

Chocks,

It may be me but I have my doubts about this Tompion, ie what are the three holes for, as far as I can remember they pushed into the barrel and I don't remember them being brass but it was a long time ago and as I say it may be me but if anyone was going to buy one they would be wise to contact the RN museum in Portsmouth.

I must admit that I'm inclined to agree with you Darby but most of the plug is missing and it has been wall mounted so it may be worth me investigating further

At the Cambridge cenotaph yesterday, I stood next to an old sailor who served as a stoker on the "Amathiest" and was involved in the Yanksee River incident in the late forty's or early fiftys , very interesting conversation.
paul

The crew of H.M.S.Birmingham the third were invited to Brum.and given the freedom of the city,this involves being allowed to draw a sword in the city,and also to drive sheep down the street,(very useful).
H.M.S.Birmingham had to berth at Birkinhead during this event...the closest port to Brum.

Thanks Dave. I see by that picture that the Tompion has a moulded rope frame like most ship badges. So that proves the one I was offered is a fake

Chocks

Chocks I believe some items from HMS Birmingham are in the council office,

might be wrong also :(

The tompion in your photo is an original (it's mine!!!), but it is form one of the 4" guns (Port No 2 to be precise) and not the main 6" guns. I attach photos of the front and back. It's a lovely thing although if somone else has another £600 is a bit steep (£350 is more the mark). I also attach a photo of a pattern for one of the 6in tompions, it doesn't have a rope border either. I suspect the ship had several sets over her life some wioth rope borders and some without; the only rule with thing Royal Navy is that there are no rules!

Regards

Mark

View attachment 65426View attachment 65424View attachment 65425

The tompion in your photo is an original (it's mine!!!), but it is form one of the 4" guns (Port No 2 to be precise) and not the main 6" guns. I attach photos of the front and back. It's a lovely thing although if somone else has another £600 is a bit steep (£350 is more the mark). I also attach a photo of a pattern for one of the 6in tompions, it doesn't have a rope border either. I suspect the ship had several sets over her life some wioth rope borders and some without; the only rule with thing Royal Navy is that there are no rules!

Regards

Mark

View attachment 65426View attachment 65424View attachment 65425

Thanks for the info. I refused the original offer as I suspected some kind of con going on. Interesting to note that the picture I was sent was yours. Kind of proves it doesn't it? I guess I would have sent the money and recieved nothing in return. Glad I asked questions now. Interesting to see that it is the genuine Tompion though. Thanks

Back