• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

My name is Susan Leane new Thorpe and I too went to Harry Lucas albeit for very short time in the early 60's. I emigrated to Australia with my parents in 1963 and often wondered what happened to Linda Shakespeare. I note that Linda also now lives in Oz and if she sees this post I would love to hear from her.

Hi Lynda, I my name is Susan Leane - nee - Thorpe and you and I were friends before I emigrated to Oz. So many times I wondered how and where you were and just by sheer fluke I decided to try the Harry Lucas school site and there you were and ironically in OZ. Not sure if you check this site at all but would love to reconnect with you.

Carolina,

The only school I can see on Burbury St on the map is this one at the junction of Farm St.

Attachments

• Newtown Farm Street School.jpg
    Newtown Farm Street School.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 50
Phil if its by Villa street, then its Farm Street School. Harry Lucas is on the same side but further down towards Burbury Park.

Was it a small School because I can't see any indication of it on my 60's map, I'll have a look at an earlier one.

Carolina, I'm even more mixed up than ever now, perhaps you could indicate the school on the map.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 33
Its actually at the end of Farm Street by Ventnor Road before you turn into Burbury Street - you can see 'Sch' shown.

Well done Phil, we got there in the end. I am sure all the other HL scholars will be chuffed as well. We have really struggled to find photos of the school. I was one of the first to go there when it opened in 1958 and was the eldest as I had already done 1 year at a grammar school in Bartley Green so I went straight into 1st year again. Once again thanks for your efforts.

Caroline, Only you and other ex pupils can confirm if this is indeed the correct school because I still haven't a clue.

#82 is as stated on Phils photo. Farm St School taken from Villa St. Turn right on the picture which is Farm St and about half way down towards Lucas factory (Burbury St) was Harry Lucas School.

I agree with Topsy. The picture is not Burbury Street School (later Harry Lucas) but as stated on the image, Farm Street School. I went to Burbury Street School in the forties. The school was of a similar style to the photo but the frontage was off the road and as I remember, a little later in style. It is a pity as I have always wanted to find a photo of the school but one has never turned up. I don't remember any other forum member saying the went to Burbury Street School although several went to Harry Lucas.

As I said only an ex pupil could confirm if the photo of the school I posted was the right school or not. So can anyone confirm that Caroline got the location on the map right and I will continue looking.

Carolina had it dead right Phil. Although alongside Ventnor Road (the boys toilets were on that side) the front entrance was on Farm Street and the back entrance at Bridge Street

Whilst searching for a photo of the school I came across this newspaper clipping concerning Birmingham's first lollipop man. I have no idea where I picked it up or how long I have had it, but is that the school in the background?

Attachments

• Lozells Farm Rd first Lollipop Man.JPG
    Lozells Farm Rd first Lollipop Man.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 47
The head teacher in the forties was Mr Margerison (or similar spelling) was proud of the paintings around the school which he told us, all had a special meaning. I particularly remember the one in his study, Hope by G F Watts, a very cheerful picture. One teacher I remember well was Mr Warriner. He warned the girls about becoming Jezebels by using shampoo to wash their hair; 100 strokes with a hair brush was the correct way! Eating chewing gum, well, that led to the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Phil, that is the crossing to the school, unfortunately the cameraman is on the school side pointing the other way. What we are seeing on the corner is the factory opposite the school, the corner of Farm Street and Burbury Street

What about this one from one of Carl Chinn's magazines? the photo is c1953, I don't think I have the magazine any more or else I might be able to elaborate. If anybody can confirm this is the school I will have a good search.

Attachments

• lozells junior & infants.JPG
    lozells junior & infants.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 44
Phil, that is the crossing to the school, unfortunately the cameraman is on the school side pointing the other way. What we are seeing on the corner is the factory opposite the school, the corner of Farm Street and Burbury Street

That is correct Mike. the photograph is looking down Burbury Street towards the main entrance to Burbury Park which was opposite Defford Road.

I am almost sure that the factory in the photograph formed part of an annex of Lucas'?

I used that crossing every morning going to school....... Mabz

Phils photo #100 is taken outside my old school Lozells St Primary. The kids are crossing Gerrard St from the Senior side which i also attended. This picture is the School they were crossing over to The Lolipop lady was Mrs Owen.lozells-primary-school-viewed-from-the-junction-of-gerrard-st-and-lozells-st-op.jpg

Back