• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

Re: guilford street lozells

hi dave p.. so glad you like them.. i reckon dad must have cleaned most of the windows in guildford st...and he has many stories to tell..there is one event he recalls very well from the terraces where old toms horse and cart is parked but due to the fact that relatives of the person involved would most probably still be alive or indeed the actual person it would not be appropriate for me to post it. i always say its great to have our memories but coupled with photos they always seem so much more real..

regards

astoness

Astoness hi, John Houghton had an article in a newspaper and a picture showing the brook culvert when it was uncovered during the clearing of the old Alligator works. It's on here too. This area has been gone over before but there are newer members who may not have found the information yet.

hi rupert.. yes i did know that.. me and me bro were down there taking pics when it was uncovered. fascinating stuff... you could see the chaneling of the brook. i beleive that the two buildings left standing are protected and will not be demolished. i suppose thats something at least.

astoness

rupert have you seen the pics on the factories and offices thread.. its under the title martindales.

astoness

Michael. what a wonderful picture. It also brings back a lot of memories of when i was a youngster,I came from Paddington Street but left when i was about 8/9. Didn,t move far though. ( Clifford St) I remember a friend living somewhere there named Julia Lutwytche. Does anyone remember Ronnie Clayton from Paddington St?

Topseyturvey, I had a friend called Ronnie from Paddington Street. I can't remember his surname but I think he had fair hair. He lived on the right side of the road as you walked away from Guildford Street. I bought my first guitar second hand from him, paying something like £6. Eddie Madeley, another friend lived a few doors from him.

hi folks..not a lot of the street to see but someone may remember the corner shop...clyde tower is in the background...

guildford st dated 1968

guildfordst.jpg

love that pic on post 141 topsy...just by the 2nd lampost on the right is the turnoff for paddington st where i was born...ive got a few more of guildford st will put them on later on when ive woke up lol

lyn

You don,t realise when you are young what a long road it was. My brotherinlaw worked on a milk round when he first left school and delivered to guilford st and gower st.He said he had 900 drops to do.

My brother-in-law Dennis Sanders, who lived at back of 29 took the photo #141 in the mid fifties

morning mike...that photo really is my favourite of guildford st...thank goodnes your brother in law took it...i would have been living in paddington st in the mid 50s when it was taken.

lyn

Morning Lyn, I used to swing on the first lamppost, just outside our house. Rudhall's shop was by the lamppost, and was mentioned in the book My Mother's Son by Patrick Hughes - refered to in a recent thread. Patrick's mom could be one of the women on the left in fact

morning mike...ive looked at that pic in detail in the hopes our mom and dad maybe on it but i dont think so...just uploaded a few more..will post them now..

lyn

Re post #141
Dennis who took the photo was born in 1929 and lived back of 29 Guildford Street. He had a patchy education as most people of his age due to the war and went to Gower Street
School. He had a talent for being thrown out of places.
As a boy he was thrown out of the Newtown Picture House for throwing a plum at the screen. When I was a boy he got us both thrown out of the Birmingham Science Museum for touching one of the
exhibits and setting an alarm off.
After the war, instead of doing National Service, Dennis worked as a bricklayer for a couple of years but then studied to become a Methodist Minister at
Handsworth Wesleyan College (shown below) then later at Cliff College in Derbyshire. he was ordained in the mid fifties.
The other photo is of Dennis's wedding to my sister Olive. You will find me on the right at the back somewhere.The fourth women from the right is Molly
Rudhall who ran the shop by the lampost in picture #141.The wedding was at the methodist Central Hall in Birmingham, performed by a well known Methodist at
the time, Rev Dr Maldwyn Edwards. Later Dennis was minister at churches in Coventry, Warwick, Cornwall and finally South Wales

handsworth_weslyan_college.jpg

olive_dennis_wedding_1956.jpg

Last edited:

What a lovely Wedding picture Mike and story to go with it . As Lyn said thank heavens for people like your brotherinlaw who took the pictures which we can all enjoy looking at now.

smashiing account of dennis.s life mike and what a great wedding pic too...thanks for adding to this thread...

lyn

this is the closest i have come to finding a pic of paddington st where i was born...paddington st on the right...

Picture007.jpg

Re post #153 Rudhall's shop to the right of the lampost, looking at the photo. Our house, the old shop next door to the left of the lampost. The last time I saw these two shops and houses must have been a few months after this photo was taken. The houses either side and across the road had been demolished. All that remained were the two shops 24 and 26 and the back yards. Guildford Street, and Paddington Street, had become Desolation Row. These photos are all that are left now and all of our memories of course; even the geography of the streets has changed.

Back