• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Rosie, l never knew what is was to be without hot water, we had a Ascot heater ( Gyser) as far back as l can remember...l guess it came from the gas department as every so often the gasman would come and do matenance on it....we never had any heat in the outside loo though and many a time l came home from school and the pipe had burst after a thaw water was everywhere l know dad would always hamer the pipe flat untill the pipe could be replaced.....did'nt we have lead pipes then??? it would never be aloud to-day...Brenda

Winter clothes never seen these days:

The old knitted woollen balaclava. My mother would always knit me one for the winter. Also I loved my duffle coat, complete with hood. I would walk around the City Centre in that coat, and feel really modern and 'arty'. Eddie

John Bradbury 002.jpgMe. the height impared one and my club mate John Bradbury wearing our club sweaters than MOMs knitted. Knit one pearl one drop one, my Mom would say as she sat by the fire knitting away. Now you go to the store to buy them. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Snowy Colorado USA

Another possible use those discarded Xmas present boxes.
Done it ourselves and it came out good. Great for the kids to join in as well.
THE XMAS FAIRY CASTLE.
image.jpg

" MUST TRY AND CATCH THE POST MAN "
Going back a bit I reckon quite a few Mums had this thought cross their minds as Xmas approached. It was pretty wide spread I think that households would reward the Postman, the Breadman, the Milkman and the Dustman with a few pence as thanks for the delivery service over the previous year ( something like a Pint of Ansells mild or an M&B bitter would be the money equivalent offered I believe )
" THANKS MISSUS AND A HAPPY XMAS TO YOU TOO ".

Hi Roy. We still do try and catch the postman, especially if it has been the same one for the whole year. The Winter of 2013/14 was fairly mild down here but some years the postman has to trudge through deep snow. We usually put a £10 note (more than a few pence these days) inside a Christmas card addressed to "Mr Postman". Milk and bread are bought from the supermarket. Dave.

Our Postie looks after us well so we always make sure he has a little something to warm his Christmas.

Our Postie is lovely and we always give him a Christmas box. I ran after him the other day to give it to him. He then gave me a kiss, that caused some curtain twitching in the street. Michael found it very amusing.

£10 notes and kisses, no wonder my late brother-in-law (who was a postman) looked forward to Christmas time. :biggrin:

Wendy one of our bin men a couple of years back now got fired for some think like that for receiving a fiver from an house holder
And that was an old tradional thing that was carried out for donkeys years as I recall the old dezrs of the day tipping the postmen the milkman
And the struggling bin men carrying those big heavvt miskbins of sloops and the other of ashes on there shoulders
It. Etainly is a different world down here in Worcestershire I can tell you leven the laws of the land the police still use laws going back 1800 s
To prosecute you where anywhere else its a warning it a slapp on the wrist
Any way best wishes and have a merry Christmas and new year ,, Alan,, Astonian,,,,

I wonder if our giving tips to the postie etc. is showing our age, LOL.
Telling a couple of my younger neighbours that I was looking out for the postman to give him his tip they were really amused with remarks like 'he gets paid to do his job just like the rest of us'.
That will be one tradition that will die out then I suppose.

My father always used to press a glass of sherry on our postman when he made the Christmas morning delivery. - i'll repeat that...when he made the Christmas morning delivery - and I suspect that a number of his other customers did the same. Goodness knows what state he was in by the time he sat down to his own Christmas dinner.

Chris

Last edited:
" APPLES TO EAT AND NUTS TO CRACK, HERE WE COME WITH A RAT- TAT - TAT ".
( Have'nt heard this one for a while ).
Sometimes this was the final vocal bit to the kids going round the houses after singing a Xmas carol and hoping for a penny or two to be given at the front door.

Alberta,

The way the Royal Mail is heading, it could be the traditional postman that will be on the way out, before the tradition of 'tipping'. Eddie

Brenda I refer to your post about the slides in the playground at Burlington Street School. The night before my eldest sister got married I was told to go out to play as there was so much to be done, and they didn't want me as an 8 year old getting in the way. It was the 15th March 1946 and I was having a great time on the slide when I fell on my face, I ran home which was just over the road, all my sister was concerned about that I would spoil her wedding photographs, she was right as I had two large "scrages" on my face and as I was a bridesmaid I was on most of the photos.

Following on from the postman/chimney sweep stories, I am reminded of some of the other trade delivery man that seem to be fast disappearing off our streets.

The baker man; the milkman; the coalman; the fishmonger man; It now seems more like the Asda van man; the Tesco van man; the electric goods van man;

The old 'door to door' insurance man is long gone; Telephone boxes are disappearing, and there must be other trades people that are disappearing.

One final thought. When we were young, should there be a death in a house, the curtains would be drawn closed, and we were taught to walk past, quietly, and show respect. Does that still happen? Eddie

My Dad for years was a Insurance man, I remember him going door to door collecting payments. He had a book with all records kept in it. Here in the USA phone booths or boxes are long gone. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

I hae just received this lovely poem from my old buddy, John (Old Brit). Thought some of our older members might like to read it. A bit long, but fun to remember.

A POEM THAT SOME OF US CAN RELATE TO;

I remember the cheese of my childhood,
And the bread that we cut with a knife,
When the children helped with the housework,
And the men went to work, not the wife.

The cheese never needed a fridge,
And the bread was so crusty and hot,
The children were seldom unhappy,
And the wife was content with her lot.

I remember the milk from the bottle,
with the yummy cream on the top,
Our dinner came hot from the oven,
And not from the fridge in the shop.

The kids were a lot more contented,
They didn't need money for kicks,
Just a game, with their mates in the road,
And sometimes, the Saturday 'flicks'.

I remember the shop on the corner,
Where a pen'orth of sweets were sold,
Do you think I'm a bit nostalgic?
Or is it....I'm just getting old?

I remember the loo was the 'lav'
And the bogey man came in the night,
It wasn't the least bit funny,
Going 'out back' with no light.

The interesting items we pursued,
From the newspaper cut into squares,
And hung on a peg in the 'lav',
It took little to keep us amused.

The clothes were boiled in the copper,
With plenty of rich foamy suds,
But the ironing never seemed ending,
As Mum pressed everyone's @duds@.

I remember the slap on my backside,
And the taste of soap if I swore,
Anorexia and diets weren't heard of,
And we hadn't much choice what we wore.

Do you think that bruised our ego?,
Or our initiative was destroyed?
We ate what was put on the table,
And I think life was better enjoyed,

Now, if you can relate to all of the above,
You have been on the retired list for many years now!!

Many thanks John. Eddie

" COUNTING SHEEP "
( Christmas Eve ).
Dads just told us that Father Xmas will have already started to deliver his presents in some of the places far away.
So it's off to bed for us. Problem is I'm not in the least bit tired and it's like that thing, like it was last year, where even though I squeeze my eyes shut and try to go to sleep, nothing happens. I feel like I'm going to be awake forever. Can't stop thinking about what might be our presents from Father Xmas.
Ive asked for a Cowboy outfit this year. I've seen them up at Lewis's up town. They've got every thing in a big box, there's a Cowboy hat, a Cowboy necker scarf, a Sherffs badge, a gun, a gun holster and a pair of Handcuffs.
My sister Betty ( she's older than us other two ) has asked for a set of Hair Brushes and a posh Bracelet. Mom has told me that our little Charlie might be getting some coloured building blocks and a Doggie toy.
How do I get to sleep to-night though, that's the problem.
( Early Xmas morning).
Got to sleep somehow. I don't know how I done it. I woke up to the feel of some thing on my feet at the bottom of our bed,it was still dark outside but when I reached down with my toes I could hear paper crinkling. I could just see that it was our presents and that Charlie's and mine were in pillow cases, just like it was last year.
Oh boy! He's been.
I wondered what time it was. I wanted to put the light on to see what Father Xmas had brought us but Charlie was still asleep and I reckoned that if I did that, it might wake him up and that might be trouble. I thought about sneaking downstairs with my sack but there again I might wake someone up and get a telling off.
What's the matter with everyone? When are they going to wake up?
(Later )
I stayed in our bedroom and spent a long time ' feeling ' my presents. It started to get lighter outside and then I heard someone moving about in our Mom and Dads bedroom. It was our Mom and when she came out onto the landing I dived out to meet her. The first thing she did was to put a finger up to her lips. SHUSH.
Jeez, I had been shushing for hours already.
I had to wait on again until everyone else woke up and came downstairs before Mom would let me open my presents.
We all sat down in our little lounge and opened our presents.
Everyone was very happy with their presents.
I loved those Xmas's.

Roy that was wonderful and really brought home how our Christmas eve/mornings went. I can remember thinking I heard Father Christmas on Christmas eve and got into bed with my brothers as I was frightened.

WHAT'S THE CHANCES ?
Could these be some of the Media Headlines for 2015 - 2016 ?
(1) All Gas and Electricity prices to be reduced by 48%. ( Daily Impress, front page ).
(2) Food unwrapping, Tin and Bottle opening to be made easier for the elderly. House of Commons all party agreement
( Side column, front page Daily Dither ).
(3) Children on the move. More Children are taking themselves to School, climbing trees and getting into Sport. Health experts have carried out ............ ( Daily Mumble, front page ).
( 4) WBA vs BIRMINGHAM CITY. The FA CUP final. Tickets for the Wembley final are all sold out. ( Birmingham Wail ).
(5) Space Exploration to be Axed. Money to be spent on Hospitals, Care for People and Housing Worldwide ( Daily Wail, front page, side column).
(6) Aston Villa crowned " Premier league Champions. (Weekly Wonder, back page ).
(7) Over the Counter ' Banger ' fireworks to be banned. Will be replaced by bursting melodic musical sounds, suitable not to awake sleeping babies or frighten Grandmothers, Dogs or Cats. ( Daily Wonder, side column, page 4 ).

YOU NEVER KNOW YOUR LUCK.

All I can remember as a child going to the Panto was when I went up on stage and someone gave me a Toy Tortoise that moves it's legs when you used the hand pump on the end of a pipe.

Hi All,

As a child playing in the street I remember an older boy, who today would be classified as 'learning impaired'. I believe he lived on Bordesley Green or nearby. When we saw him coming down the street someone would shout "Look out. Here he comes". We would then scatter and hide. Why I do not know because he had never hurt any of us, in fact, he never got near enough. He would get to where we had been playing and stand there a moment or two looking puzzled. He then turned and made his way back slowly up the street.

Fast forward to 1980 when my beloved grandson Steven was born. Steven was born severely mentally handicapped. He went to a special school where he had many friends. Come the school holidays he was alone and bored. I then remembered the lad we had hidden from and realised that all he wanted was to play with us. I wish I couild have turned the clock back and welcomed him into our fold.. He was older than us but probably younger in mind.

Steven has now passed away. He was a lovely lad and would not have hurt a soul. Neither would the lad we ran away from.

Old Boy

Old Boy

Dick Buttons and Puss and Boots at the Hippodrome? Comes to mind. Like all we went every year to the Pantomine. Great fun, lots of laffs. Got an Email last week from my Nephew Mark in Clent, that they where going to the Panto, so it is still around. John Crump Parker. Co USA

Old Boy ( post #446 on this thread ). Absorbing your post ' Old Boy ' , I'm thinking that many of us might recall those occasions , as kids, whereby in the Empathy category, we didn't score too high. I guess it partly comes down to the fast
' adventure / activity ' learning curve that presented itself to us kids. The doubts we had on some occasions when we were a bit choosy about who we would accept as ' friends'. I think of the times we were not happy to have with us the ' slowest '
or the ' clumsiest ' and tended to leave them ' on the side '.
There's probably many of us that have that little niggle " If only I could go back to that situation again I would handle it a different way "and I guess that knowing the right way mainly comes from the experiences that we gain as we get a bit older.
But Old Boy if we finally get there at least that's some thing.

We used to have a boy walk up our street who obviously went to grammar school as he always worn a uniform. We used to wait and really ridicule him and call him posh boy. Move on a few years and both my brother and I went to grammar schools. Perhaps it was jealousy at the time.

JUST THE SOUND OF THAT WORD.
Something came up the other day on the TV which mentioned ' BORSTAL' and that brought back some thoughts from our days as kids.
in our early years there was a line fed to us, for a misbehave, that went something like " If you keep on doing that, the Bogey man will get you ". I always thought this one had a limited effect and might be fairly quickly forgotten.
As we got older there was a much more poignant and disturbing threat suggested to us to bring us back into line.
That was the words " If you lot start doing things like that, you'll be likely to end up in Borstal".
We hadn't really got a clue what this ' Borstal ' business was about but somehow it threw up a ' dark image ', enough to make us think again about what we were up to.
It was the Straight and Narrow now for us.
Climbing street Lamp posts, throwing stones in the street, Scrumping, climbing over the fence at Sutton Park to get in for free.
NO SIR, NOT US SIR.

Back