• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Derek

I don't quite understand what you mean, the garage was at the junction of Nechells Place and Saltley Rd . If you are referring to the large building in the background that is The Old Evesham Breweries building in Cato St North which has been mentioned in several posts on this forum. The Matthews was quite a way up the road from here on the corner of Willis St & Great Lister St.

Phil

Hi ya John nice to here from you,
i,ve always thought it could have been the bookies runner for Billy Wier just below us?
Derek

Ernie,

Here is one especially for you the corner of Henry St and Lupin St. The date on the photo puts it at 1960, but I would think it at least several years earlier than that.

Phil

NechellsLupinSt.jpg

Phil. Thank you so much for posted the photograph. I cannot remember the Building which is bricked up so I guess it was after my mother moved away from Lupin Street. There were Two shops on the corner of Lupin Street ,one was Slim's and the other was Web's ( I am sure I am right but my memory fails me a bit at times.) On the other corner was the Salvation Army and Silk's Coffee House on the opposite corners of Henry Street and Coleman Street. My Aunt Amy Lived up the entry of the tallest building with the attic windows.

Ernie

I have replaced that copy of the photo with another one, its much plainer, you can see that it is Henry Street that stretches away to the left and Lupin St that goes off down toward Willis St. The other one was a bit too low res to make out the street signs. While I am on here is another one that I don't think is on here it is Scholefield Street taken from Great Lister St. It shows the Corn Merchant on the one corner and the Café on the other.

Phil

NechellsScholefieldStGrtListerSt1960.jpg

Some more local Nechells Streets that I don't think we have seen before. Well at least not these photos, Little Francis St, Adams St and Lingard St. Not sure of the exact location in each street except Little Francis St - Great Lister St. So perhaps someone can tell us.

Phil.

NechellsGreatListerStreetLittleFrancisStreet.jpg
NechellsAdamsSt1964ad.jpg

NechellsLingardSt1965ad.jpg

Phil nice photos mate would that be The Municipal Bank on the corner of Little Francis St half hidden.

Adam St was down by the Green man on Dartmounth St.

Lingard St was down by the Library I think. Dek

Hi Dek

Thanks mate, but it wasn't the location of the streets that I wasn't sure of. I knew where they were, but the it's actual part of the street where the photos were taken that eludes me, save for Little Francis St. If I walked right to the bottom of our street Francis St then Little Francis St was a continuation. It wasn't a very long street at all as it only ran from Lupin St to Great Lister St. On the other corner of the street was the Lister Tavern.

I was wondering what corner of Adams Street that shop was on, and were the shops in Lingard st at the Great Lister St end or the Fowler St end?

Phil

Phil. Great photographs once more, I have a copy of Kelly's somewhere when I can find it.
I would say that the first photo I will consult Kelly's to pinpoint Atkin's sweet shop along there.
The second photo would be taken from Great Lister Street looking up Adam Street and the shop on the corner was a Chemist in my day, the opposite corner was a second hand clothes shop I believe before Fletcher's came and now they had closed when I was that way last year.
The third photo I was not too familiar with but again Kelly's could help maybe.
Thank You for those visions of yesterday Phil.

A poor photograph of Windsor Street Gas Works.
Top left is Richard Street and just below is Windsor Street, If you look close Avenue Road and Rupert Street can be seen. Lord Street and Proctor Street seen near the right hand corner along the bottom edge of the scan.

Not sure if I had posted these poor quality scans before. This is said to be Great Lister Street and I can only guess it is the corner of Henry Street as it is before my time.

Sorry if some of these poor scans have been here before.
This is Linguard Street with the old fire station on the left ( Will Hay and his pals have gone to a fire ) The Library is on the right.

Congratulations Gervan, this is a truly great informative and interesting Thread that is only a few views away from an incredible 100,000. Is this a record? Keep em coming folks. I nick more pictures from here than any other....

Yes Dennis there are many knowledgeable Nechellites who have refreshed my mind from childhood which I am most grateful. Dek

Ellbrown this old pub holds great memories for me never been a big drinker but had my very first pint in there longer than I care to remember ago. It used to be at the junction of Ashted Row and Prospect Row. Dek

The only memories I have of it is waiting to pick my nipper up after disco nights in the car round the corner (mustn't be SEEN to be doing that of course, too babyish). He was just under age, as were 90 percent of the clientele in the early 80s I was told. Does it still have the rep as the tweenies watering hole I wonder...

Think it is a student pub, not sure if it is still open though. Don't think local Science Park office workers would go here.

That wall around it is not ideal (and it needs repairing).

It looks like te wall belongs to the highway, so in the present financial situation it will probably stay like that

I really can't understand why they would choose to drop the highway by that depth, it used to be level with the pavement almost. I suppose they had their reasons.

PHIL

NechellsBlackHorse.jpg

The Black Horse used to be a Butlers house before the amalgamation with Mitchell's. The pub was rebuilt around c1925, though a back room sports a mirror engraved 1846 supposedly from the original pub.

Phil

Congratulations!

This great thread is probably the first on the Forum to exceed 100,000 views. That's quite an achievement.

Re: Congratulations!

just finished this thread about 2hrs! just a few queries i noticed SHEDMAN had posted images but all i could see was THIS IMAGE REMOVED BY PHOTOBUCKET so i could not see the image but other readers were discussing these images and saying how good they were plus there are other posts on here with with images that will not open even when there is a paperclip and saying imaged attached any ideas?
phil

I really can't understand why they would choose to drop the highway by that depth, it used to be level with the pavement almost. I suppose they had their reasons.

PHIL

Phil, I'm a retired HGV Instructor and in Manchester where I previously practiced, kerbs which were almost level with pavements-particularly the narrower ones-safety groups advocated a "structural significance" to minimise the risk of back wheels taking out pedestrians. The slope in the direction of travel would also disencouarge a meandering of the vehicles tracks.

Back