• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone to Australia

bryce1

Can anyone help in tracing my great great grandfather, John Caller.
According to his Australian death certificate he was born in Birmingham c1810, father's name James, and he travelled to Australia c1835. In Sydney he was a Baptist, and worked as a shoemaker.
I have tried the Birmingham Baptist church microfilms at the Mormons but without success- Bond St 1750 –1837,Cannon St 1785-1837,Lombard St 1785-1836, Zion Chapel 1821-37.
The only possible link I have been able to find in Birmingham is an Ann Caller, died aged 9 months buried at St Martins October 1830.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bryce1

hi bryce,

unfortunately i cant help, but can tell you that ann caller who died aged 9 mths and buried at st. martins, bham on 17 oct 1830 was daughter of cornelius and margaret caller. residence - london apprentice street.
i cant see any further records for caller in birmingham

Hi Bryce,
The only item I found was the link to the Harding family tree, assuming your John Caller died in Ryde NSW - is this your tree anyway? If not, I will forward you the other details on it, but they don't show other relatives except his wife.
Have you looked at the Australian records to see if he came there with anyone, that may shed more light, their records for the 1900's are really good and their archivists are very helpful too.
Also do you know if went to Australia voluntarily or was he transported - Premier Ancestry membership will give details of that if you have it, or someone on the site may be able to check for you, there is a John Sellars b1811, transported in 1836, but was tried in Buckinghamshire, so not really that close, but could be worth checking.
Sue

Last edited:
Back