• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goldingay Aston

Welcome to the forum Paul, we will need a little more information to be able to help you.
A christian name or some idea of the years you are searching will help.
Alberta.

Do you have a first name for your grandfather? There are quite a number of Goldingays on the 1939 reg. Not to mention several possible deaths around 1955.

A bit of a punt.

John Goldingay b 1880 married Emma Price 1899, living 9 Cuckoo Road in 1939 listed as Gouldingay. Died 1960.

A son William C Goldingay b1916 married Amelia Wilson 1937, living 105 Cuckoo Road in 1939 also listed as Gouldingay.

A son Paul W Goldingay, original poster?

I used to live next door to a family with the surname of Gouldingay , Leslie was the name of the father, Betty was the mother, Robert, Jean and Jeffery were their children, we lived in Clarendon Street, I believe that Leslie was once a bargee ....but not to sure this was over 50 years ago when we lived next door to them ...

We even had a Brummie Goldingay living out here in Crete 16 years ago, but sadly she passed away a good few years ago now. When I remember her first name I'll pass it on.

Maurice :cool:

A bit of a punt.

John Goldingay b 1880 married Emma Price 1899, living 9 Cuckoo Road in 1939 listed as Gouldingay. Died 1960.

A son William C Goldingay b1916 married Amelia Wilson 1937, living 105 Cuckoo Road in 1939 also listed as Gouldingay.

A son Paul W Goldingay, original poster?
all sounds correct. I now have a lot more than I did. Many thanks for your help. Paul Goldingay

John b 1880 is the son of George Francis Robinson Goldingay (cannot find birth details but he was born 1854 and registration wasn't compulsory by law until later).
On some census you will find entries with surname Robinson as his mother Phoebe Robinson didn't marry Josiah Gouldingay(Goldingay) until 1856
His first wife,( I believe Ann Griffin) who he married in 1833 died in 1849.

Marriage 15th May 1856 St Peter, Wolverhampton
Josiah Gouldingay , full age , father Henry to
Phoebe Robinson, full age , father George
both gave residence as Canal street.

1861 Stokes buildings Tipton

Josiah Gouldingay age 45 born Castle.Bromwich Boatman
Phoebe age 40 b Birmingham
Henry age 22 son born Water Orton, Boatman
John age 11 son b. tipton
Charles age 10 son b. Tipton
George F age 5 son b. Tipton ( on later Census entries George is Francis Robinson)

Last edited:
John b 1880 is the son of George Francis Robinson Goldingay (cannot find birth details but he was born 1854 and registration wasn't compulsory by law until later).
On some census you will find entries with surname Robinson as his mother Phoebe Robinson didn't marry Josiah Gouldingay(Goldingay) until 1856
His first wife,( I believe Ann Griffin) who he married in 1833 died in 1849.

Marriage 15th May 1856 St Peter, Wolverhampton
Josiah Gouldingay , full age , father Henry to
Phoebe Robinson, full age , father George
both gave residence as Canal street.

1861 Stokes buildings Tipton

Josiah Gouldingay age 45 born Castle.Bromwich Boatman
Phoebe age 40 b Birmingham
Henry age 22 son born Water Orton, Boatman
John age 11 son b. tipton
Charles age 10 son b. Tipton
George F age 5 son b. Tipton ( on later Census entries George is Francis Robinson)
thanks for all your help, if I could find out from the details you have on my grandfather who my great grandfather was and hopefully my great great grandfather was ,and years these relate to this would be fantastic. regards Paul Goldingay

From Alberta's post...

George Francis Robinson Goldingay was your great grandfather. He was born before his parents married.

There doesn't appear to be a registration but there is a baptism on the 15 Sep 1854 Wolverhampton, listed as Goulding but parents match and there is also one for his brother Charles. So I don't think there is any doubt about his parentage.

Josiah Goldingay was George's father and your great great grandfather. He is born about 1815 in Castle Bromwich and lists his father as Henry on his marriage to Phoebe.

From Alberta's post...

George Francis Robinson Goldingay was your great grandfather. He was born before his parents married.

There doesn't appear to be a registration but there is a baptism on the 15 Sep 1854 Wolverhampton, listed as Goulding but parents match and there is also one for his brother Charles. So I don't think there is any doubt about his parentage.

Josiah Goldingay was George's father and your great great grandfather. He is born about 1815 in Castle Bromwich and lists his father as Henry on his marriage to Phoebe.
I cannot believe how you have managed to get all this information for me, I really appreciate your time and effort, and wonder how far it is possible to go back, do records start to get hard to obtain? again thanks Paul Goldingay

Thank you MWS, I should have made my post a bit clearer.
Paul
Josiah born Castle Bromwich the son of Henry
Henry Goldingay b 1791 Castle Bromwich your g/g/g/grandfather he was the son of another Josiah
Josiah Goldingay b 1750 Castle Bromwich potentially your g/g/g/g/grandfather he was the son of another Henry.

Alberta.

In answer to your question, records are not too difficult after 1837 but before that they take some sorting out.
Members on the forum who help others with their queries belong to subscription sites that help greatly.
Searches can often be made difficult because often names were spelt a few different ways and ancestors changed their given names to those used by their parents,,eg George Francis Goldingay was possibly called Francis by his parents so on some records he is George on others Francis.
Often surnames are spelt various ways on records, as many people could not read or write their name was written by officials as it was spoken ,often with a regional accent.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Coincidently in 1871 Henry Goldingay is an inmate of the workhouse, Erdington. A discussion of which is going on here...

Again following on from Alberta's post.

There is a possible Henry Goldingay baptised Over Whitacre 1728, son of a Joseph.

Then back to Castle Bromwich for a Joseph Goldingay (spelt Golddingga) baptised 1702, son of another Henry.

Henry - Joseph 1702 - Henry 1728- Josiah 1750 - Henry 1791 - Josiah 1815 - George 1856 - John 1880 - William C 1916 - you -

So there's at least 300 years and 10 generations of history.

Last edited:
Again following on from Alberta's post.

There is a possible Henry Goldingay baptised Over Whitacre 1728, son of a Joseph.

Then back to Castle Bromwich for a Joseph Goldingay (spelt Golddingga) baptised 1702, son of another Henry.

Henry - Joseph 1702 - Henry 1728- Josiah 1750 - Henry 1791 - Josiah 1815 - George 1856 - John 1880 - William C 1916 - you -

So there's at least 300 years and 10 generations of history.
thats fantastic, can you get back to the 1600s or is that too hard. regards Paul Goldingay

It's tricky, your name is a help and a hindrance. Being distinctive allows you to be fairly certain the people found are correct but when it's spelt incorrectly it can be harder to track down.

Henry father of Joseph would have been born in the 1600s but I can't find him.

There is a Henry Goldingay baptised 1627 Castle Bromwich and it would be easy to assume that he could be the Henry's father but it's not certain.

A relation probably but he could be an uncle or there might only be one Henry and he had a younger wife.

Henry's father is listed as William but there are other Goldingay baptisms around the same time with a different father so could be either line.

may I thank you for all your help, it seems it stops here but as been very informative, where would you say the surname originated from, I always thought it was a Jewish name.?? regards Paul Goldingay

There are number of sites about name origins and they don't always agree.

One suggests it's from Golden's hay, hay meaning an enclosure. Another suggests it's a corruption of something else - Golding, Goldingham etc.

Names can change over time especially as people couldn't read and write. My step brother's name is Mayo which you would have thought was Irish but when I traced it back the first appearance was Mayall in Gloucestershire.

Hi well i have been searching for my dad on Ancestry and have found him.Goldingay are related to me Josiah is my 3x Great Grandad.Also Weaver famillies, Robinson.I have done my DNA.So if you want any info or if i can help i will try.

Back