• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Geach Street

hi jean..if you now go to the william st thread i have reposted my pics of that street for you...

lyn

Thank you for the info, Shera. Seems like another lifetime doesn't it?

I wonder if you would be able to find an Edward and Jean Murray( nee McNeill) my nan and step-grandad who lived in William Street please? Nan worked as a cleaner at the Lucas factory for many years. Can't recall grandad ever going to work!

Hi jeanbee
I had a quick look for you and came up with the following. I have Edward Murray living at 5 court 24 william st in 1924, but living with a matilda Murray,Edward and Matilda Murray are still there in 1927 and also upto 1955.

I hope this helps you.

Stars

Thank you Stars but not the right ones. My nan' s name was defiantely Eliza Jane and she (supposedly)married Grandad in 1943. Haven't got the certificate yet to prove it though. Grandad could have been married before to matilda?

in 1945 living 5 back 106 william street is edward murray and eliza j. mcneill.
in 1950 at same address is edward murray and eliza j murray
in 1955 as above.

in 1945 living 5 back 106 william street is edward murray and eliza j. mcneill.
in 1950 at same address is edward murray and eliza j murray
in 1955 as above.

Yes thank you Shera, this is the correct address! and the correct names. My parents married in 1943 and I remember mom telling me that nan wanted her to have a double wedding with them but dad wouldn't hear of it so Edward and Eliza appear to have married later than 1945. A few more clues for me to follow up on.

View attachment 90940View attachment 90942View attachment 90941

Hi, just joined forum and have these pictures of Geach Street (?) that my Dad took on Coronation day (along with those on post 5).
Believe the first is looking up street from the end of our entry (lived at 2/11, next to grandparents at 1/11) away from Summer Lane; Second is outside the Geach Arms; Third no idea where this is but it was with the other Coronation photos.
View attachment 90945View attachment 90944View attachment 90943
The three pictures above are of our Nan Whitmore, in the 60's, when she worked at a factory which I think was behind Geech Street. They used to coat/dip metal parts there, does anyone know its name?
Mom, David & Brian.jpgDavid & Brian 8.jpgDavid (26).jpgDavid (4).jpg
Family photos, Mom with my elder brother and me on step of 2/11; Me and David outside 2/11; David reading the Despatch outside1/11 - note the chickens behind the fence!; David between 1 and 2/11.
Hope this is not too boring for the regular users of the forum.
Brian

My post did not show most of the photos I put on so here's trying again.These are the first three again. No idea where the third one is.

Coronation Day (1).jpgCoronation Day (2).jpgCoronation Day (11).jpg

Family photos, Mom with my elder brother and me on step of 2/11; Me and David outside 2/11; David reading the Despatch outside1/11 - note the chickens behind the fence!; David between 1 and 2/11.
Hope this is not too boring for the regular users of the forum.
Brian
Hi Brian - Welcome to the forum -old family photos are never boring - thanks for putting them on they are lovely ...
oldmohawk

John a warm welcome and as others have said photos are always welcome particularly family ones with a bit of information. It may be best to add just a few photos per post as I think that adding more may cause problems.

BernardR

Hi I am looking for anyone that might have known the Collett's family at N0. 42 Geach Street. I know they were there around the 1939 but not sure how long they lived there..I know my mom told me about my Grandad being a care taking as he got older for either William Newmans or Norman Tonks. Might have also be there as a manual worker too as a Builders Brass Dress, but which factory it was I'm not 100% All I know for sure It has to be Lozells because that's where they lived. And either next door to it and the other side of the house was a police station. Mom was evacuee when she was almost 5 years old she went to live in Malvern with her brother Raymond with a spinster Ms Arnold Jones. The also at some point lived at Bridge and Elma Street! And when my mom came back from Malvern she went to Lozell's all girls school. I remember her talking about Blacks, a shop or office not sure. Her mom and dad had Eve, Beatrice, Freda, Joyce, Ray and then there was my mom, Barbra.. Nan cleaned the factory and took in washing.. Anyone got any pictures relating to these streets or factories. Kind Regars Suzie nee Wilkins

you may find this link of interest...william newmans are still in hospital st which is in newtown and is just off geach st..the only police station around there is on the corner of bridge st west and summer lane also still there..i guess it could be that either newman tonks or william newman(who eventually merged) also had a place near to the police station when your grandad worked there

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/William_Newman_and_Sons

lyn

Last edited:
ive got 2 more pics of geach st..will scan and post asap...

lyn
Hi, If I grovvell nicely, is there any way that I could quire one? My family have been traced to there in the 1871 census.
Pretty please??

If I can help any one out in the Broughton department and extended family, please do not hesitate to contact me, I would love to hear from you.

Hi I am trying to find out any info re my late father who was the Licensee of the Geach Arms sometime around the late 1920's/early 30's. His name was Alec (or Mac) Rorison and his wife died, suddenly, in the pub in August 1934, her name was Dora or Annie. A long shot I know but I don't know where else to look. Thank you

so pleased to find this one...its the first pic i have come accross of geach st(i was born in the next st which was paddington and i still cant find any pics of there)...the geach arms pub would have been on the right on the corner of the street where it meets with summer lane...

geach st from guildford st late 50s...

lyn
A sad story Lyn, I knew quite a few people from Geach Street but not a boxer. Probably when that happened to you it was after my father died and we moved to a council house in West Heath. In my memory there was an outdoor (an off licence to non Brummies and youngsters) on the corner of Rodway Street which was off Geach Street, about a quarter of the way down from Guidford Street. There were some nasty people around then as there are now, they didn't get in the newspaper in those days.

does anybody remember Betty and Sam Toon she used to sell toffee apples from her front door in geach street she lived opposite the betting shop
and on the other side of the road from Harry davis's

factory
Betty Toon was my Nan, I am the granddaughter, Joyce Toon being my Mom, yes the Toffee apples were yummy

yes those coconut one were yummy, she was a lovely lady we used to call her aunty bet, her two youngest children were the same age as myself and my sister
we used to exchange clothes hahahah the family were Jeany Joany janet Samuel everlyn and susan unfortunatly there is only jeany janet and susan are left now
my niece has two children who are related to them small world we have so many wonderful memories of that area, i yearn sometimes to be back there as it was
life was so simple then take care love Lynda Upton (nee Shakespeare) 232 farm street.
Hello, Loo Loo, how do know my family so well, your name Shakespear is very familiar

The Toons toffee apples were a symbol of Summer in the 40s and 50s. There is no food these days that is anything near the quality of the Toons toffee apples
I lived just around the corner in Guildford Street. The name Shakespeare also mentioned were a family I knew

The Toons toffee apples were a symbol of Summer in the 40s and 50s. There is no food these days that is anything near the quality of the Toons toffee apples
I lived just around the corner in Guildford Street. The name Shakespeare also mentioned were a family I knew
Yes I know the Shakespears, one of them moved to telford near where I am now.

Nos 34-36 guildford St, which seems to be the building on the corner of Geach St is listed as a beer retailer up to 1921, but is not listed al all from 1932 onwards. I can't find a pub name listed in the directories or electoral rolls, but its absence after 932 would seem to indicate that, while it amy have been a pub once, it had stopped that use before 1932
Mike

Back