• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FRYER Family of 43 Nelson Road, Aston, Birmingham - 1920

rprfryer

proper brummie kid
I was born in Bloxwich, Staffordshire.

I have been tracing my family tree since November 04, 2004.

My paternal great grandfather, Henry Joseph Fryer, hatter, was born, about 1843 or 1845, in Wellington, Shropshire.

His wife, my paternal great grandmother, Jane Griffiths (Fryer), was born, about 1847, in Bilston, Staffordshire.

They were married, in the December Quarter of 1869, at St. Bartholomew Church, Wednesbury, Staffordshire.

At the time of the 1881 Census, they were living at 144 Vicarage Road, Aston, Warwickshire.

At the time of the 1891 Census, they were living at 160 Vicarage Road, Aston, Warwickshire.

His brother, Robert Fryer, wholesale hatter manager, was born, about 1841, in Ireland.

My other paternal great grandfather, Alfred Bryon, painter and glazier, was born, about 1838, in Birmingham, Warwickshire.

His wife, my other paternal great grandmother, Frances Ellen Hickman (Fryer), was born, about 1845, in Birmingham, Warwickshire.

They were married, on Monday, September 07, 1868, at Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwickshire.

In 1920, my paternal grandparents, Harry Victor Reginald Fryer, carriage builder and metal worker, and Emma Bryon (Fryer) ran a shop, downstairs, at 43 Nelson Road, Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

They also used to sell to Aston Villa Football Club fans, outside Villa Park, before the bus route was extended.

My father even played several practice matches for Aston Villa Football Club.

Apparently, Emma also ran a shop, at her parents’ home, at 6 Court, 8 Bevington Road, Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

I have lost contact with living members of my branch of the Fryer family in the Birmingham area.

I would like to renew contact with them, particularly with Fryer family history compilers, as I would like to eventually know "chapter and verse" about all of my extended family members, especially those who lived earlier than the aforementioned paternal great grandparents.

Thank you, very much, in advance, for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Regards, R. Paul R. Fryer

Last edited:
Hickman

Hi There.
When we lived in Bevington Rd in the 1970/80s our neighbours Maiden name was Hickman and her dad lived in Nelson Rd at No 11 or 13, she still lives there to my knowledge.Sorry I can't help with the people at the bottom of Bevington Rd.
Pete

1841 Church Street,Wellington
Thomas Fryer age 30 Excise officer
Ellen age 30
John age 5
Robert age 3
Thomas 1 month ,only thomas born in the county.

High street ,Coleshill,Warks

Thomas Fryer age 41 b. Ireland Excise officer
Ellen age 38 b. Ireland
John age 15 b. Ireland
Thomas age 9 b. Wellington
Henry age 8 b. Wellington
Catherine age 5 b.Wellington
Mary age 4 b. dorrington
James age 2 b. Dorrington

Robert fryer age 14 lodging at the home of Michael Byrne in New Walk, Birmingham(St Peters)
His birth year throughout is given as 1837/38 Ireland.

Pete,

Thank you, very much, for your reply to my post.

You are the first person to acknowledge an acquaintance with my possible Hickman relatives.

I have always wondered whether the 13 Nelson Road Hickman family is related to my Fryer family.

As they were living quite close to 43 Nelson Road, it seems that they could be.

Should you meet them again, and get some further family and contact information, please let me know about it.

Regards, R. Paul R.

Alberta,

In one "swell foop", your reply to my post made me very happy!

I was elated and laughing at about 00:55 A. M. Pacific Standard Time on Thursday, March 27, 2008.

I stayed up until 04:00 A. M. Pacific Standard Time, entering the new information into my Fryer family database, only getting about three and one half hours sleep in advance of a doctor’s appointment!

I have been trying to determine whether Thomas Fryer and Ellen (Fryer) were my great great grandparents for quite some time.

Without the 1841 Census information, I could only speculate that Robert was their son.

They were the best candidates, based on Robert’s birth date, birthplace, and the fact that he was the manager of a wholesale hatter, while the occupation of his presumed brother, Henry, was that of hatter.

I knew that different records had both Henry Fryer and Henry Joseph Fryer recorded as being born, within one or two years of each other, in Wellington, Shropshire.

The 1861 Census records told me that Henry’s middle name was Joseph, linking him with Thomas and Ellen, that he was living with his brother, Robert, in King’s Norton, Worcestershire, now linking Robert with Thomas and Ellen, and that his future wife, Jane Griffiths, was a servant (whose?), living at the same address.

Also Robert was born in Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland, as was John Fryer, as recorded in the 1881 Census.

Robert’s son was Charles Fryer and his daughter was Sarah Stubbs Fryer, probably the Miss S. Stubbs Fryer, Head Mistress, in 1900, of Lenton Boulevard Girls School, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire.

Apparently, Charles also had the middle name of Stubbs.

As Charles Stubbs was born in 1858, Sarah Stubbs was born in 1860, and Stubbs Wightwick, of Great Bloxwich, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, died in 1858, there may be a connection here.

Stubbs was the husband of Dorothea Fryer, the daughter of Richard Fryer, Member of Parliament and banker, of the Wergs, Tettenhall, Staffordshire, and Mary Fleeming or Fleming.

My father has a very strong memory of acceding to his mother’s request to "wheel (push) (your) granny Flem(m)ing across Aston Park".

Given the Irish birth of Thomas Fryer, what all this says about my more distant ancestors is still speculative.

Robert’s wife was, most probably, Elizabeth Robbins, Assistant Hatter, whose surname, according to inferences from 1861 Census information, could also have been Pemberton or Stubbs.

I did not have the street names for the Fryer residences, the Dorrington birthplace references for Mary Fryer and James Fryer, and the reference to Michael Byrne.

I had two additional references to Wellington, rather than Dorrington.

Again, thank you for making me very happy by supplying some of the missing information.

Regards, R. Paul R.

Last edited:
Robert Fryer married Elizabeth Pemberton in March quarter 1857
The transcript on Free BMD has

Robert Fryer marriage March 1857 ref. 6d 115

Elizabeth Pemberton marriage March 1857 ref. 6d 11

but if you view the original you can just make out the 5 at the end where the ink has faded.

1851 census Upper Marshall Street Birmingham
Charles Pemberton age 35 Glass cutter
Mary age 33
children Sarah 15,Elizabeth 10,Catherine 8.John 3,Mary 1.

Charles Pemberton married Mary Henn,12th March 1835, Edgbaston

Mary Henn born Walsall Staffs 1816
parents Thomas and Catherine(both names used by Mary for her children)

1861 census
Scholefield Street
Charles Pemberton age 45 Glass cutter b. birmingham
Mary age 42 b. Walsall
Thomas 16
John 13
mary 11
Kate 18

Kate (Catherine) appears to have been put on as an afterthought
the census relates to who sleeps in the house on that date and Catherine had obviously stayed at her sisters.
Perhaps the parents thought they had top include her in whoever lived at the house
These duplications of entries when children are away from home are found quite often.

Just noticed Robert Fryer also had the names Thomas and Catherine in his family also.

Alberta,

Thank you, very much, for the information regarding the connection of the Pemberton and Henn families to my branch of the Fryer family.

I missed the implication of the young age of Catherine Pemberton when inferring the surname of Robert Fryer’s wife.

It is always gratifying to learn more information about one’s family members, as not only can one understand and appreciate them, and their physical and temporal environment, more, but such knowledge supports one’s efforts to determine one’s family history back further in time, the "river" in which we are all "immersed".

My need for emotional and project completeness is balanced by the realisation that such a project will never be complete.

Apparently, Thomas Fryer became an excise officer in 1838, as supported by the information associated with his entry papers for service as an Excise man at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-5413397&j=1.

My uncle, Harry Victor Fryer, married Jessie Leah Mortiboy.

They were both born in Aston, Warwickshire.

She was probably related to Private Alfred Mortiboy, 1st Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, whose death is mentioned at https://www.mortiboy.co.uk/mort/gwar1d.htm.

His parents were Joseph Mortiboy and Susan (Mortiboy) of Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

Richard Fryer and the Mortiboy surname are linked at https://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/articles/OldCorners/Exchange.htm.

Although it may be just a surname coincidence, this is further circumstantial evidence that Thomas Fryer was related to Richard Fryer.

Did you mean that Thomas and Catherine were names used in Robert's paternal family or his own?

Regards, R. Paul R.

Last edited:
Hi there

13 Nelson road was my greatgrandparents home and then my grandparents home.
If you are still interested in any information my brother has been tracing the family tree of the Hickmans and he will pass on any information that will help. It is my aunt who lives in Bevington road.

Regards Mollymo

Hi Mollymo.
Mrs Janet Pierce still lives in Bevington Rd, the daughter still lives with her, her name is Janet. The brother is called Billy, same as his dad, and left to live in Walsall.Whenever my wife goes through Aston she knocks on her door but no one answers!
Good luck with your search!
Pete

Mollymo,

I was very happy to read your Friday, March 13, 2009 post about your relationship to the 13 Nelson Road, Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire Hickmans.

It is an interesting numerical coincidence, and proof that not all Friday the thirteenths are unlucky!

As I consider myself to be an "infovore", rather than an "ignotarian", I am always interested in learning more information about "my" Hickmans, especially after having learned only one new piece of information about them for the last eleven and one half months.

That information is that the parents of Frances Ellen Hickman, my great great grandparents, were William Hickman and Ann Clark.

Please feel free to tell me all about "your" Hickmans.

I am hoping that we have relatives in common.

Victoria, the capital of the province of British Columbia

There was a Harry Fryer was foreman in the garge at Bywaters which was on Coventry rd just prior to green lane my brother worked for him. Cant remember what year they closed, but I,m sure my brother would have that info unless anyone else on here has it.

Jean,

Thank you, very much, for the information about Harry Fryer.

My uncle, Harry Victor Fryer, was born during the December Quarter of 1903.

He married Jessie Leah Mortiboy.

He showed a talent for drawing.

He died, after June, 1971, when he was struck, by a vehicle, outside the gates of the General Electric Company, where his wife, and possibly he, worked.

His father, Harry Victor Reginald Fryer, was a carriage builder and, later, a metal worker at Kynoch, which later became Nobel Industries, then Imperial Chemical Industries Metals Division.

As these facts are most of what I know about him, I can neither confirm nor deny that "my" Harry Fryer is the same individual as "your" Harry Fryer.

Also, there are a great many branches of the Fryer family in the Midlands, which has made the search for "my" Fryers and related families quite difficult.

However, I am very interested in eventually linking these two Harry Fryers, and I will always be interested in learning any additional information.

Hi Paul

I was having a chat with my aunt Ellen who was born 1919 at 13 Nelson road and she was a very good friend of Barbara Fryer 43 Nelson road and I was wondering if Barbara is your mother.

Regards Mollymo

rprfryer

I have hickmans born in Birmingham in my family.Wonder if they are the same family as yours.
Pam

hi, john talbot hickman 1842 to 1895 was my 2nd great grandfather anything on him has been difficult to find he ended up in aston and had a daughter mary ann 1875 who married james willmore

Back