• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

W

Wendy

I was chatting to a lady in her 80's yesterday who lived in a back to back in Farm Street. Her name is Edna Pursehouse she was head of the wages department at Lucas's. Her best friend was the daughter of the family who had Cowdrills Bike Shop, she is still in contact with her. Does anyone remember the shop or my friend.

Wendy this lady may very well be related to me, would you be so kind as to send me her address so that i may call and see her or contact her. I would be very grateful...Cat

Wendy, If she prefers i will send a list of connecting names, she is of course older in years than myself. Thanking you in anticipation...Cat

Wendy , I used to take care of one of Cowdrills sons little boy Albert, his moms name was Florry. and they lived over the shop in Farm St , Tthe other shop was in Wheeler St.My parents had a fish & chip shop Bramwells in Farm St near Lennox St.

Jean.

Catkin I have sent you an IM.

Bramwell I will ask Edna. I am sure she will know who you are talking about as she went to all family get togethers and holidays with the family. I will ask her about your shop also. I will let you know what she remembers.

hello wendy

clareharvey800 has a thread asking for help about ancestors the evans family who lived in farm st. perhaps your friend could remember the family and help her.

chris

Hello Shera, Farm Street was a long street and the time frame would be quite different. I had ancestors in Farm Street but they would be long gone when Edna lived there. I will ask her about the Evans family just in case.

hi cat. as promised here are the pics of farm st. lyn

Moderator note. The following images have been lost from this thread. If anyone has these or remembers the images please let the admin them know. Many thanks.
Pic 2
Pic 3
Farm st at the corner of Guildford street
This is the corner of farm st and lennox st. ive got one of the white swan pub somewhere cat. forgot where it is lol will post it later. hope these are ok anyway. lyn

Thank you for that my little peep Lyn, they are lovely, I could spend a week in that shop having a look around. On the shop front facade it says Royal Club do you or any-one else know what it means.? Or was it a cigarette advert.

Please forgive me for not doing what i promised i would, but i will get it sorted at the weekend, hectic morning and we had a power cut to boot...Cat
I hope Roger is well and that he did not leave his post. errrrrrrrrrrrrr roger

hi cat. i will have a look at that royal club thingy. dont worry about putting your pics on. in your own time no probs. sorry about yer power cut bet i can guess who caused that lol roger was still stationed at 6 this morning. gave him the day off but hes just sauntered up the garden for his dinner. ttfn lyn

Oh my goodness Lyn picture no 3 states no 237 Farm Street my grandfather's brother David Jennings had a Bakers shop there from around 1871 untill around 1891. He died at no 229 in 1901. The photo must show his shop. So it must be the one on the corner.My gt gt grandparents died at 231 Farm Street in 1866 and 1867. My great grandfathers sister Ann Wilks died at back of 275 Farm Street. I think my gt grandfather owned some of these houses.
This is fantastic to see a photo of his shop! thank you so much for posting it. Wendy.

wicked wendy. what a result. you see this is why i love posting pictures. although as yet farm st is of no ancestral interest to me i did grow up around there. i am so pleased it means a lot to you. jean are you on about the same pic as wendy or the older shop. if its wendys shop i can maybe track back the numbers from me kellys to see if it would have been opp burbery school lyn

wicked wendy. what a result. you see this is why i love posting pictures. although as yet farm st is of no ancestral interest to me i did grow up around there. i am so pleased it means a lot to you. jean are you on about the same pic as wendy or the older shop. if its wendys shop i can maybe track back the numbers from me kellys to see if it would have been opp burbery school lyn

Lyn - if memory serves me well, the shop in question was on the same side as Harry Lucas and Farm Street school. It was just before Farm Street school in between Wellesley Street and Villa Street?

Mabz

hi mabz. if you are on about the old shop think you are right. my neighbour can confirm that he lived next door to it. i will ask him. lyn

I have attached the 1881 census for David's shop it seems to be on the corner of Guilford Street.........thats if I am reading it right.

hi wend. youve got the hat trick. work back from the pic of the cafe and you can see numbs 229 and 231 lyn ps the cafe is num 235

Last edited:
thats correct wendy. you have your shop on the one corner of farm st and guildford and the pic of the cafe is on the other corner of farm st and guildford. lyn

I used to go in that shop on the way to school each morning and ask for the 'Penny Tray'. It was amazing what a penny would buy you off that old tray of assorted sweets. Do you remember the 'penny and halfpenny trays'?

This is just amazing! I am so thrilled. I am in touch with Davids gt granddaughter I know she will be so pleased. Lyn I owe you a large whatever you want on the 60's night! You are a star! many thanks Wendy

crikey keith. the penny tray i had forgotton all about that. wendy you owe me nothing. its my pleasure. this is what history is all about its made my night lyn

John, Thank you very much for that I can file it with the other info I have.
This is just wonderful for me as my main interest is my fathers family of Jennings.

Keith, I remember the penny and halfpenny trays well. It was such a thrill. I often think its such a shame todays children don't have that sort of excitement. Sweets now are so readily available.

Here is a photo of David Jennings in 1900 not long before he passed away.

Mayfield this is the best I could do tonight it as to be read via colums in numerical order

Just found this thread Wendy. I remember the Cowdrill's very well. My dad was a friend or Mr Cowdrill. (I don't know his first name - that's what I called him as a little boy). They had a factory in the old chapel at the bottom of Guildford Street where you could take your bike frame and get it chromium plated. There was the shop in question in Farm Street but also another one just around the corner from Farm Street in Wheeler Street. Here they sold radios as well as bikes and it was here that we would take our acumulator to get charged.
There was a third shop up at Villa Cross at the top of Barker Street. This was a large shop that sold bicycles. I would pass this on my way to work at Wolf Electric, where I worked before going to Art College. I would look longingly at the Dawes racers with double clangers. I was to get one later but from a shop in Cotteridge rather than Cowdrills.
As a little boy of five or six I would be with my mom when she visited an invalided old lady, or at least she was to me, who lived in a flat above another shop in Wheeler Street. I believe that whe was one of the Cowdrill family.
Some fifty years later, when I was teaching in Cambridgeshire, I taught a boy called Cowdrill. He turned out to be the grandson of the Mr Cowdrill I had known.

Back