• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elkington St. School photo

500miles

This is my Mom's old school photo taken at Elkington St. Infants in 1939. She is the second girl in from the left on the front row. We'd love to hear from anyone who recognises themselves or someone they know.

Great photo my Dad went to school there 1920s.

Why 500 miles?

Ah well, my married surname is Miles and it's after the song, 'I would walk 500 miles' etc.

Yes, I love the photo too. Mom was evacuated not long after and she looks so young. It's sad that some of the children look so poor though.

My dad - Les Linnecor - went to that school in the late 20's early 30's and then attended Leigh Road School, Washwood Heath. He lived in Miller Street, Aston and then later in Malthouse Lane, Washwood Heath. I wonder if anyone out there remembers him.

Thank you 500 just for you

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZojpl-p_5A"]YouTube - i would walk 500 miles[/ame]

My mother also went to Elkington Street School, starting in 1905. The Horton family lived just round the corner in New John Street.

Does your mum remember either Ken Hulls or his younger sister Barbara (my mum)?

I can't recognise my mum in the photo but some of the hats are very fetching! Mum would have been 5 going onto 6 in 1939.

Regards
Avril

My Mother, Margaret Newton - born 1928 - was born in New John Street & attended Elkington Street School, as did her older brothers & sisters.

Our family lived in New John Street until 1967 & my sister & brother & I attended Elkington Street too.

Sylvia Sayers - How long did your family live in New John Street ?

My mum, Elsie Ada Owen went to Elkington St School in the late 20's
When I got a job in 1987 at Studio Press in Lower Tower St. she said what a coincidence it was as she lived there as a child.

My mother's family lived in the Bracebridge St and Elkington Street areas between mid 1930's and 1970's.

Are your Newton family any relation to John Alfred Newton who married Lilliam Ridley in 1910.

Their children were Charles, John (known as Sonny), Lily, Albert, Arthur, Leonard and Hilda. The children were born between 1911 and 1922?

Regards
Avril

Hi Avril
There's a possibility that John Alfred Newton is related to ours. Do you know the year he was born & who his father was & I'll check what info I have on my Newton's.

Best wishes - Janet

Janet

I don't know any more about John Newton other than what's in the post unfortunately.

Regards
Avril

My relative, Philip Henry Cooper attended the school in 1886. We have a copy of the book presented to him for passing the 11 Standard. I treied to find out if there were old records from the school but I hear it has been demolished.

ellie, the central library in Birmingham has the old Elkington Street School records, I have seen them as my mother and her siblings attended the school from about 1905, not much use to you I know as you live in Australia.

My mom went to Elkington St. school,and when she was older went to Dartmouth St.school,of which I have a photo.c 1930.
Will try to add photo. as attachment.

I don't know if there is any connection but here is a phoyograph of Elkington FC taken in 1911/12? My grand father is standing middle row right. mabz

lovely pic mabz..you are lucky to have it..ive just started to try and find any pics of our moms dad....not one in the family as far as i know...

lyn...

Re: Elkington St. School photo
12months to early for me ,1940was my starting time my sister who was 6yrs older than me also went there ,we were both evacuated to Ashby dela Zouch .I was left on the railway station and finished up with some London families evacuees for 4days before my sister found me .we used to live at no 36 Miller st we left 1941is and moved to Dyas rd regards Tom

To

Back