• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

I've got a problem with Win 10 not showing thumbnail images on all my photo's on desktop and in numerous folders.

I've tried all the checks reccommended on the net including "Make sure to Show thumbnails instead of icons" option is checked. but nothing works, I think this might have occurred since a recent windows update.
I use Photoscape to open and edit photo's, most but not all images show it's icon, a few other photo's have the Windows photo viewer icon and a very few show the image thumbnail
Has anyone got any ideas of how to fix it?

I've got a problem with Win 10 not showing thumbnail images on all my photo's on desktop and in numerous folders.

I've tried all the checks reccommended on the net including "Make sure to Show thumbnails instead of icons" option is checked. but nothing works, I think this might have occurred since a recent windows update.
I use Photoscape to open and edit photo's, most but not all images show it's icon, a few other photo's have the Windows photo viewer icon and a very few show the image thumbnail
Has anyone got any ideas of how to fix it?
Have a look at File Association, an update or a newly installed programmer may have changed it.

i dread the win 10 updates every time they install some on my pc and load a load of crp on it i dont want games installed i spend ages uninstalling there rubbish...its a pity we cant put win to read only like there crp is

Have a look at File Association, an update or a newly installed programmer may have changed it.

I just noticed that if I put an image in the recycle bin the thumbnail photo appears, I put it back on the desktop and the icon appears o_O

I checked in File Association that Jpegs are set to open with Photoscape as well

Another thing I notice today is that my regular used forums like this one are asking for me to log in whereas normally it's saved by my browser.
I use Google Chrome and I just had an email from another forum and clicked it and noticed that it loaded on to Microsoft Edge browser. So it appears that windows update has over written my default browser.

Just discovered that if I open a photo and save it again (without altering anything ) it then appears correctly as a thumbnail, how weird is that?
But I have hundreds of photo's in folders :cold_sweat:

I've solved it for now by selecting a whole folder full of photo's and selecting "copy" then put them in an empty folder where the images appear, then put them back and select overwrite. If I try to copy, cut and paste into the empty folder and then back again it doesn't work and the icons are still there. So apart from ending up with a overflowing recycle bin and emptying it, all is well, I think :eek:

I've solved it for now by selecting a whole folder full of photo's and selecting "copy" then put them in an empty folder where the images appear, then put them back and select overwrite. If I try to copy, cut and paste into the empty folder and then back again it doesn't work and the icons are still there. So apart from ending up with a overflowing recycle bin and emptying it, all is well, I think :eek:
It sounds like you had a corrupt "icon cache" - This is a particular file on the computer that can get easily corrupted. One way of fixing it is to do precisely what you've done and recreate the files and folders concerned. There is another way of fixing it, but it's a bit complicated, involving running commands at the command prompt. I have the same problem and it always comes back after running a bit of third-party software I use for a particular task, so obviously whoever designed that bit of software did a bad job of coding it, resulting in corrupting the icon cache file. If you get the issue come back, google "rebuild icon cache file Windows 10" and follow the instructions. - Make sure it's the instructions for Windows 10 - The instructions for earlier versions of Windows won't work.

It sounds like you had a corrupt "icon cache" - This is a particular file on the computer that can get easily corrupted. One way of fixing it is to do precisely what you've done and recreate the files and folders concerned. There is another way of fixing it, but it's a bit complicated, involving running commands at the command prompt. I have the same problem and it always comes back after running a bit of third-party software I use for a particular task, so obviously whoever designed that bit of software did a bad job of coding it, resulting in corrupting the icon cache file. If you get the issue come back, google "rebuild icon cache file Windows 10" and follow the instructions. - Make sure it's the instructions for Windows 10 - The instructions for earlier versions of Windows won't work.

Thanks Dinger, if it does it again I'll try your suggestion with the icon cache

Does anyone have any experience of Norton 360 Premium? Have used Eset for many years but contract finished Saturday. I have the opportunity of having Norton for £19.99 for up to 10 devices, [The offer IS genuine]. Would be pleased of any comments. Thanks in advance

i never had any luck with norton it caused me too much aggro so i stopped using it. now i only use windows defender and avg vpn never had any prob. . you can NORTON 360 10 devices on ebay for £16 NO CONTRACT it is entirely up to you do whatever you think

Windows already has anti malware built in with Windows defender. Its as good as anything out there. Its free and not intrusive either.

You can also type Windows logo+R then type mrt. This will run the windows malware removal too. this tools is regularly updated by Microsoft.

Thank you for that Windows reminder, Mort. I had forgotten about that. Windows Defender runs automatically on my W10. As you may remember I use my principal pc and laptop on Linux Cinnamon , so the W10 pc only is used for a couple of Ham programmes and Live U tube cameras.

Does anyone have any experience of Norton 360 Premium? Have used Eset for many years but contract finished Saturday. I have the opportunity of having Norton for £19.99 for up to 10 devices, [The offer IS genuine]. Would be pleased of any comments. Thanks in advance
I run it on 5 devices, never had any problems.

my hp wont let me use none hp black ink it stops working. so i remove the empty cartridge and just use a color cartridge then it works just fine and is cheaper

Thank you for that Windows reminder, Mort. I had forgotten about that. Windows Defender runs automatically on my W10. As you may remember I use my principal pc and laptop on Linux Cinnamon , so the W10 pc only is used for a couple of Ham programmes and Live U tube cameras.
my Kenwood TS-570Dge wont work with win 10

my Kenwood TS-570Dge wont work with win 10
The only Ham programmes I use on Windows are Echolink and Wires X. Echolink will work on Linux Cinnamon using QTel.
Cinnamon users do not require security programmes, they are advised not to. Cinnamon has no registry, where the problems with Windows usually occur.

Serial port issue, have you installed W10 drivers, what cable are you using? are the FTDI drivers up to date?

Norton and McAfee are much easier to install than they are to remove when you realise just how resource hungry they are and don't perform better than the free Windows Defender.

ta richardinwales for reply and link. i have all the right drivers. my cable is a usb to rs232 the program rcp2 run ok in xp win 8 but a no no in win10.
its like most software uninstaling them is a nightmare. i try'd to uninstall nero what a fuss and polava.

Chrome is by a mile my favorite browser all down to the level of integration on different machines I run and its superb search engine. This computer is my 'posh' one, i9 based used for photo/video editing, two PC's in the radio shack, one in the kitchen and another plugged into the main TV and one in the bedroom TV plus a couple of laptops. They can all access my home NAS network so I can watch one of the hundreds of films stored...they all use Chrome as primary browser and whichever machine I log on to Google with all my favorites are there, my recent search history is there, gmail is there.

I use Opera browser for video searches and Torch browser has a very good torrent downloader built in. I've got installed Brave, Tor and Firefox but Firefox is just too clunky for me with seemingly constant updating needed.

I would have thought the snip tool would be ok for copying web images
It will but you'd be opening it up all the time, easier all round to add the google add on which sets the default download format.

Chrome is by a mile my favorite browser all down to the level of integration on different machines I run and its superb search engine. This computer is my 'posh' one, i9 based used for photo/video editing, two PC's in the radio shack, one in the kitchen and another plugged into the main TV and one in the bedroom TV plus a couple of laptops. They can all access my home NAS network so I can watch one of the hundreds of films stored...they all use Chrome as primary browser and whichever machine I log on to Google with all my favorites are there, my recent search history is there, gmail is there.

I use Opera browser for video searches and Torch browser has a very good torrent downloader built in. I've got installed Brave, Tor and Firefox but Firefox is just too clunky for me with seemingly constant updating needed.

It will but you'd be opening it up all the time, easier all round to add the google add on which sets the default download format.
Chrome is my preferred choice too.

Back