• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer help please.

Richard - I've had a look at the following site and it seems either ending can be used but I suppose one or the other comes into general use ... I think ... maybe ... :)
Cor blimey mate, it`s like being back in school! Nouns, verbs, adjectives, i think i`ll have to stand in the corner facing the wall for this one.;)

thanks phil i looked and have orderd one of them.
I have a Sony Vaio 15“ that I have as a back up. A couple of years ago I purchased a new Lenovo computer, really good unit. The Sony had 4 USB port, the Lenovo has one. The Sony has a built in receptacle for a projector. You can buy adapters but it seem they are making them lighter and lighter and taking away external feature! Depends of course what you are using it for but it was something I assumed as I focused on memory and speed!
[/QUOTE]
thanks

Compared to earlier years I've noticed there are considerably fewer requests for computer help these days. Our devices are more reliable. Most of us are probably using Win10 but some maybe still on Win7 and a few using WinXP. Some using iPads, iMacs and even Linux - no wonder we all see things slightly differently on our screens.

Win 10 runs in different ways. The desktop/taskbar view, or Start Screen/tiles, and more.
Apple iPads/iPhones and Android devices now easily interface with Win10 - it has all become easier.

We have favourite browsers - Chrome, Internet Explorer, and now Edge. I wonder which one is most popular.

And then there is Google ... we probably all use it in some form of other ...
:)

I read this on a Linux Forum. I rcently started using Firefox due to Opera having problems making video available. I no longer have Opera although I have used it for many years. Vivaldi is my secondary browser, however, I am going to look at a couple of less well known browsers just in case the FFox report becomes a reality.

If you can connect the hard drive to an existing PC (as a secondary drive) Ccleaner is the safest option as it won't let you wipe the drive which contains the operating system. DBAN is fine but needs care; if the drive you want to erase is the only one in the PC, OK, but if it is an extra drive to an existing system be very careful and don't select 'autonuke' as it may wipe your operating system (I talk from experience:(!)

If you can connect the hard drive to an existing PC (as a secondary drive) Ccleaner is the safest option as it won't let you wipe the drive which contains the operating system. DBAN is fine but needs care; if the drive you want to erase is the only one in the PC, OK, but if it is an extra drive to an existing system be very careful and don't select 'autonuke' as it may wipe your operating system (I talk from experience:(!)
thanks for the warning.

The last time I attempted to use CCleaner to securely wipe a drive it wanted about 5 hours to do it's work. If Pete is going to use the drive only in his own computers then a long format should be satisfactory.

Last night the lightning took out most of my electronics items. my laptop was one of them.

mw0njm - I'm a bit puzzled as to why your laptop got fried! I presume it was connected to something as I would assume if it was free standing it would be immune from lightning (unless it received a direct hit!).

mw0njm - I'm a bit puzzled as to why your laptop got fried! I presume it was connected to something as I would assume if it was free standing it would be immune from lightning (unless it received a direct hit!).
it was connected to the mains charger, everything that was plugged in blew.inc the router

The last time I attempted to use CCleaner to securely wipe a drive it wanted about 5 hours to do it's work. If Pete is going to use the drive only in his own computers then a long format should be satisfactory.
thanks for help
i have replaced the h/drive in the desktop and managed to reload win 10 formated it .it should be done next year.:grinning:this laptop i am using is a old samsung it had win 8 its slower than the hp but excepted win 10. it does the job that all that matters.

Pete. Ok. As had been already said, if it for your own computer just format it and it will be fine.

OUTLOOK PROBLEM.

I had a problem with Outlook dropping out. MS recommended uninstalling office 2013 which I did. I reinstalled and everything is fine except cant receive emails without doing it manually!!

Any ideas would e appreciated!
Well, I see not takers..............You are the smart ones! After almost 6 hours on line with Best Buy (who were trying hard) except when I am consulting, trying does not get paid! They got everything going except I lost my address book! Even tough I have my computer backed :) up the latest address they could pull was 2018. I go to the store tomorrow at 10am US with all my fingers crossed!
I am a degreed engineer, ME/IE & Industrial, I was always taught that engineering was a science built on fact, I guess that was before software!

Just love this site, thank you EVERYONE!

Well, I see no takers..............You are the smart ones!
I think the problem is that everyone has different methods of using email. You would have to go into more detail than you probably want to for us to offer suggestions.

The only email system that I have never had a problem with is Gmail. It is plain and simple and not tied to Office or any other software. It uses two factor authentication if I open it on computers other than my own.

I have five different emails and four of them auto forward to my main Gmail which dings my iPad/iPhone to tell me I have received an email. I have sometimes been unable to open an email on my ISP's system but I could read the auto forward in Gmail.
:cool: :)

I have noticed that ISP mail addresses can be delayed, whereas other mail seems more reliable.
Over the years I have had many addresses, some necessary such as one for Microsoft - Skype use only, GMail for You Tube and maps only. I have a couple of my ISP addresses, not used. Most of my mail now is in a secure place specific for mail.

I think the problem is that everyone has different methods of using email. You would have to go into more detail than you probably want to for us to offer suggestions.

The only email system that I have never had a problem with is Gmail. It is plain and simple and not tied to Office or any other software. It uses two factor authentication if I open it on computers other than my own.

I have five different emails and four of them auto forward to my main Gmail which dings my iPad/iPhone to tell me I have received an email. I have sometimes been unable to open an email on my ISP's system but I could read the auto forward in Gmail.
:cool: :)
oldMohawk, thank you I think . I have no issues doing anything on my iPad and iPhone everything gets forwarded without issue, the issue zone is Outlook. Everything works fine on the the other two devices. I have been running Outlook for over 25 years and I guess have grown too comfortable with it. The problem is those devices do not contain the same features. I have a good friend that has a version of outlook on his iPhone and has problems from time to time.

Back