• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Computer Help Please.

Don't know if any of the wonderful Wiz Kids can help with two irritating problems I have on my desk top at the moment
I keep getting two pop up boxes coming up. For the last few weeks while I am searching for something, or even scrolling down a page like this one , a box comes up saying "Page unresponsive" , Wait/Exit. The other one I have had for last two weeks is "Direct access to Chrome" - Add to Chrome.
Can it be anything to do with fact the computer has slowed down recently and I get a lot of buffering on videos or live programmes. At 92 I certainly need everything in the most simple of terms please.
Thanks in advance

Don't know if any of the wonderful Wiz Kids can help with two irritating problems I have on my desk top at the moment
I keep getting two pop up boxes coming up. For the last few weeks while I am searching for something, or even scrolling down a page like this one , a box comes up saying "Page unresponsive" , Wait/Exit. The other one I have had for last two weeks is "Direct access to Chrome" - Add to Chrome.
Can it be anything to do with fact the computer has slowed down recently and I get a lot of buffering on videos or live programmes. At 92 I certainly need everything in the most simple of terms please.
Thanks in advance
You may have a computer nasty on your machine.

Type into the search box bottom left corner “MRT” you will see a box with mrt Run command. Click run as administrator if that option shows or just click mrt if not. This will activate the Microsoft malicious removal tool. Do a full scan and see how you go.

Come back to me if you need any further help.

Thanks in advance
johnny, congratulations on being 92!

Thanks for advice Morturn. Started the MRT at 12.30 and when I went to bed at 11.30 it was still going. It had scanned over two million by that time. When I looked this morning it said no infection had been found at all. Whilst problems remain it has not been as bad so far this morning

A few more things to try if you haven't already:

Right click on the taskbar and select 'Startup'. All items can normally be disabled except anything relating to antivirus/security.

Then look in the Processes tab and check that none of the items on the top line are running near 100%. Memory would usually be under 50%; other items much lower but give it a few minutes to settle down after opening the tab.

You could also try downloading and running adwcleaner - this is a Microsoft/'Malwarebytes product so quite safe but works slightly differently from MRT.

Hope this helps.

Almost everything described could also be down to a fault with the internet connection. If that's the problem check that the relevant plugs haven't come loose and if you have a powered box that everything comes through, you might want to try switching it off, waiting a minute, and switching it back on.
The other possibility is that you've been downloading a lot of stuff and you're low on storage space. If all the stuff you've been watching has been online and streaming, that shouldn't have happened.

Back