• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Communication Row 1854

jjuj

master brummie
Have birth cert - think it says 14 communication Row [1854]. Home of Green family. Am I reading the street name correctly?

Jean

yes there is definitely a communication row in birmingham at that time. (never heard of it before!)

Thanks Shera, the writing was so small had difficulty reading it. Plus it was a new address for the family, which is why I questioned it. Can you tell which part of birmingham it was in please?

yes there is definitely a communication row in birmingham at that time. (never heard of it before!)

It's been redeveloped, but I think that I have a picture of it before that happened. I'll have a look through my books....

Thank you. that would be lovely.[

QUOTE=les
lam;372709]It's been redeveloped, but I think that I have a picture of it before that happened. I'll have a look through my books....[/QUOTE]

It's right near where i was born in sherborne street. they still have not sold the land where all the old houses stood!!!

My late sister Lily lived in a back to back house in Communicaton Row in the late 50's. I loved staying there as a kid. Such a happy house.
There was a railway line behind a high wall by the house. Could'nt see the trains but the smoke and steam covered the houses. I can still smell it.:)

I also had rellies living in Communication Row 1841 - 1851. Thanks for the link to the the photo leslam. I did take a walk along there a while ago, but it's good to see how it used to look.
Most of my maternal ancestors were in Bishopsgate Street area in the early 19thc.

It's lovely to see both pics - but I prefer the first as the street looked as if it had a heart back them :)

In the 1861 Census, my gg grandparents, Benjamin and Martha Jones were living at 14 communication Row. They have 3 children of their own, a 1 year old border, whom they later adopt, and also Joseph Green (49) and Mary Green ( 55) as lodgers. Both Benjamin and Joseph are coopers. On old maps I have researched , there appears to be a pub next door. The ideal job - no commuting. Is this your Greens ? If so I have further stories about the Greens which I have still to verify. However they involve a family in Pershore, another in Edgbaston and the San Francisco earthquake of 1906.

Thank you for contacting me, sorry to say the Green's you mention are not my Greens. Good luck with your research.

In the 1861 Census, my gg grandparents, Benjamin and Martha Jones were living at 14 communication Row. They have 3 children of their own, a 1 year old border, whom they later adopt, and also Joseph Green (49) and Mary Green ( 55) as lodgers. Both Benjamin and Joseph are coopers. On old maps I have researched , there appears to be a pub next door. The ideal job - no commuting. Is this your Greens ? If so I have further stories about the Greens which I have still to verify. However they involve a family in Pershore, another in Edgbaston and the San Francisco earthquake of 1906.

Hello,

Was 55 Communication Row part of the back to back houses? I was born at this address in 1957 but have been told that is was not a part of the back to backs. Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Sheena - here's a bit more mapping of 1889 to go with Mike's. No. 55 looks to be a terraced house of some sort - the back to back houses are lined up in court 7/8 and court 9/10 and must have been demolished to create the playground? My ancestors (Burtons) were at No. 40 in 1861 with some of the older "children" overflowing, as boarders, into No.39 next door.

Communication Row 1889.jpg

My gt grandfather lived 9/45 Communication Row 1871 census. 1598290357215.png

Attachments

• Communication row 16.jpg
    Communication row 16.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Communication Row Biddulph.JPG
    Communication Row Biddulph.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Lucy, Mrs Malvernian, reminds me that my grandmother's sister Eliza Ann Benton (nee Bodfish) also gets a mention on the forum in 2011 when Dib44 was looking for Thomas Benton also in Communication Row in 1935 at 4 back of 48. The Bentons were in Nately Grove, Selly Oak by 1939 so must have moved out of Communication Row just before that.

Thank you all so much, the information is brilliant.

Although I was only four years old when we left 55 Communication Row, and moved to Erdington, I still have memories of the communal backyard. I also remember the sweet shop where the door was on the corner of the road.

If anyone has more information on people who lived in Communication Row around that time, I would be really interested.

Thank you,
Sheena

Thank you all so much, the information is brilliant.

Although I was only four years old when we left 55 Communication Row, and moved to Erdington, I still have memories of the communal backyard. I also remember the sweet shop where the door was on the corner of the road.

If anyone has more information on people who lived in Communication Row around that time, I would be really interested.

Thank you,
Sheena
Hi Sheena,
I appreciate this is an old thread on the forum. I had relatives who lived at 57 Communication Row between 1918 and 1931 (possibly a couple of years before that and after). They were Joshua and Alice Nicholas.

I just wondered did you ever manage to find photos of the houses on Communication Row?

Regards,
Jonathan

Communication Row started at Bath Row and ended at the junction of Holliday St. and William St. It had a 90 degree bend in it and no. 55 was the first house around that bend opposite the old peck which was on Holliday St. My friend lived next to the playground. The Tysalls and Bickerstaffs were names I remember from the 'row'. I moved away in 1956.

My late sister Lily lived in a back to back house in Communicaton Row in the late 50's. I loved staying there as a kid. Such a happy house.
There was a railway line behind a high wall by the house. Could'nt see the trains but the smoke and steam covered the houses. I can still smell it.:)
Did you ever play in the recreation ground roundabout witche's hat see saw and a couple of swings I think , great times

Communication Row started at Bath Row and ended at the junction of Holliday St. and William St. It had a 90 degree bend in it and no. 55 was the first house around that bend opposite the old peck which was on Holliday St. My friend lived next to the playground. The Tysalls and Bickerstaffs were names I remember from the 'row'. I moved away in 1956.
I lived around there in the 50's

Back