• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

Re: Canals of Brum

The old barge horse"Betty" pulling a barge through Bromford stop, note the wire mouth guards on the horse to stop him munching the grass as he walked along the towpath, good picture showing the bobbins to stop the rope chaffing

Once movement was initiated by the horse, the continuance of motion for boats carrying 11 or 12 TONS (EU), would require little expenditure of effort. I observed the horses that were working at this in the 50s walking the towpath alone with the bargeman/woman at the helm. I wonder what the protocol was when you met another horsedrawn boat coming the other way. The canals were wide enough for boats to pass. Anyone know how it was decided who unhitched? Or was that necessary. Maybe  the horses could pass and one towrope passed over.
  To stop a boat did the horse simply stop and take the braking load or did the boats have other means of dissipating momentum. A drag device maybe. At locks there were bollards to throw a couple of turns of rope around maybe to stop the boat but not out in the country. The relationship between a boat family and their hoss must have been a very special one. For the most part I am sure they must have realised that the horse was the means of their livelyhood and the animals care would be uppermost in their minds. At least, being the romantic that I am, I would like to think that this was the norm and not the exception. Perhaps occasionally mares would have had larger foals walking along behind.
  I am sure that non of us would choose this lifestyle but I wonder what it was like. The picture of the boats in winter puts a chill through you. The women hanging out washing and the kids playing on the ice. However the kids look happy enough and well fed and dressed. It looks like there were facilities along the way dedicated for boat people. When ice formed on the water business must have ground to a halt. It would have been impossible for the horse to overcome the ressisstance. I wonder if it was possible for the kids to receive any formal schooling.

If those last pics were taken in Brum it could only be on the Grand Union Canal, leading via Warwick to London, which was widened in the 1920s and 1930s to take boats up to 14 feet wide. Previously the locks only took boats under 7 feet wide, and this is still the standard everwhere else in Birmingham until then. Brindley built something on the cheap which had never been built before. His first involvement had been on the Bridgewater Canal, which was paid for by the Duke of Bridgewater, who had seen the massive military canals in France, and fancied something a bit cheaper to shift the coal from his mines to nearby Manchester.
Peter

The Old Wharf Canal office Paradise Street 1800 and below 1900

hmld in your reply27 I can now answer your question on how they worked in the river bed........
They split the River Rea in two..... right down the middle ......I got this faded image and tried to bring it back to life (not much success) it shows workmen (you can just about see one in the middle) deepening and constructing a new wall at Fazeley Street......they sank a wall in the middle of the Rea then pumped the water over the other side......easy when ya know how its done

I think there must have been much thought put into the width used. They would probably have preferred wider but if you think about it the logistics would have been much different. As mentioned the amount of dirt to move would have probably been prohibitive. The length of canal achieved in the time would have been far less. Manpower for construction alone may have been a factor. Number of locations serviced would have been fewer. Personally I think the configuration achieved was just right. The narrow boats could be handled by a single man with a horse carrying a payload of up to 12 tons I believe. Larger boats would have needed more manpower and horses. The system achieved was elegant in it's simplicity and the only way to go. The mind still boggles at the amount of dirt moved considering the distance achieved not to mention the tunnels that were excavated. Paying passengers also used this form of transportation rather than stagecoach over rough roads. A thought; were horses changed en-route like the old west stagecoaches, or would you make the whole trip with one horse. Distances travelled per day consistent with not wearing the animal out.

Rupert, My son has the canal at the bottom of his Garden and every other week if its nice I sit by the cut and watch the World go by.... and have always got my camera.........Barges cannot travel by night so the horse would walk in the morning have a break then carry on till nightfall...... then be rested overnight
Couple of pics I took last year.......outside the back gate

Cromwell, there must have been staging points for these operations. Support for the equipment and men in the field. Stalls and feed stations and a secondary industry along the way supplying boat people with the necessities of life. Village stores would have boat people as regulars. Not to mention the odd canal side pub on the way. The meeting of families along the route would be an occasion for kids to play, renew friendships. There is a posting above by Jake of a mission at Tipton. I wonder how boat people were regarded in the early days. Were they all regarded as vagabonds. I suspect not. They must have had to be reliable, carrying goods. I suspect it was an occupation like any other and had it's good and bad features. Schooling of children must have been a problem. But you know, once out of the city, gently winding your way through the countryside on a summers day, no boss to harass you, it's possible that the tough physical aspect might have been worth enduring. I wonder if there are any records of the life spans of boat people compared to other workers of the time.

Great pictures.

Rupert, I spent half my childhood on the cut, and have wonderful memories ......the boat folk were a special breed and I pity anyone doing family research and looking for places of birth etc.......the bargee always carried oats for the horse and knew where the feed was when he stopped for the night.....when I took a barge down to Oxford it took me a week to get their with all the pubs on the way (but ya cannot be done for drunken driving) I could have walked it in two days, it took a day to get down Hatton Locks, and now I know why there is a pub at the bottom. The Kids could go to school were they stopped for the winter if the cut was frozen over.....and got a reasonable education.....
If ya suffer with stress.........its the finest thing in the world...... a policeman friend came with me down to Oxford and the change in him was remarkable.......Mr PC Cool......I left him and bought the boat back on my own with just the wife driving and me doing all the graft......opening the locks etc.....and trying to find the best beer.......which was hard......cause there is a lot to try......

I may have posted this before but if you are tracing boatpeople on the Wolverhampton Canal System, try this link https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Names/WolvCanal.html

A full list of baptism and marriages of in the area have been deposited at
(1) Wolverhampton Archives and Local Studies
(2) L.D.S. Family History Centre, Linthouse Lane, Wednesfield. W.M.
(3) Ellesmere Port Boat Museum Telephone 0151 355 5017

We went to LDS Wednesfield, and found a lot of Ray's ancestors, some of the records even included the names of their barges.

Two coal barges docked at Adderley Street Gas Works, Retort House and plant, (Retort for heating coal to make gas) note the big steel barge on the right

THX KINDLY CROMWELL. OF COURSE IT NEVER OCCURED TO MYSELF THE REA WAS DIVERTED ALONGSIDE! SO MUCH HAS BEEN LOST WITH THE IMPOSITION OF AUTOMATED MASS PRODUCTION. PRESUMABLY THE BULK OF TRAFFIC WENT VIA WORCESTER (BAR).
I RECALL CADBURYS BOURNVILLE USING NARROW BOATS INTO THE LATTER 1960s. THE POUND AT STRATFORD UPON AVON IS BIG. MORE THAN GAS STREET. SO IT MUST HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY. THE 13ml LAPWORTH SuA CANAL WAS A MASSIVE INVESTMENT. ANOTHER SEARING INDICTMENT AS TO INCOMPETENCE AND OBTUSENESS TO THE EXTENT OF INCREDULITY THAT IT WAS LEFT TO CLOG AND DERELICTION. PRESUMABLY THERE WAS QUITE A LOT OF AGRICULTURAL STUFF TRANSITED. THERE'S A WEIR W OF THE RSC.
I HAVN'T GOT FULL BEARINGS. HOW WOULD THE NARROW BOATS HAVE NEGOTIATED THE AVON? I MEAN FROM PORTAL TO PORTAL.
GREAT IDEA:THE MAP. THX AGAIN.
THAT IS AN ALMOST HARROWING PROSPECT: THE WASHING ON THE LINE IN SNOW AND ICE! IT REMINDED ME OF FINDING CLOTHES FROZEN SOLID, WHICH AS A CHILD I FOUND SHOCKING AND AMUSING - AS CHILDREN DO.

BE A MIGHT INTERESTING TO GARNER SNAPS OF CANAL ACTIVITY AT STRATFORD u A.

EARLIER ON IN BIRMINGHAM WHEN THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION WAS FULL BELT THEN THE NARROW BOATS DID OPERATE AROUND THE CLOCK. THE LENGTH OF CANAL THROUGH THE CITY CENTER (WHAT EVER IT IS CALLED) BY THE SCIENCE MUSEUM AND THAT MONSTROSITY THE PO TOWER, WAS GAS LIT. THE REMAINS CAN STILL BE SEEN. THERE WAS AN INSPECTOR MORSE EPISODE WHICH FEATURED AN HISTORICAL PROFILE OF PAYING PASSENGERS BY CANAL. (A MURDER MYSTERY)
I HAVE YET TO ENJOY THAT CANAL BOAT JOB OF THE MAN TO FRANCE. A DANGEROUS OPERATION BECAUSE OF QUICK CHANGES ON THE SURFACE.
THERE USED BE AN ICEBREAKER MOORED AT THE JUNCTION OF WHATEVER IT IS CALLED NEAR GOSTA GREEN WHERE THERE IS A BRANCH TO THE MOTORWAY INTERSECTION BY BIRCHFIELD HARRIERS. IT WAS IN REGULAR USE FOR MAYHAP A COUPLE HUNDRED YEARS.
YANKED BY A HORSE MEN EITHER SIDE OF A CENTRAL BAR WOULD ROCK TOO AND FRO TO PLOUGH THROUGH ICE.
MARVELLOUS PHOTOS: thx a ml.. THE RIVER REA HAS ALWAYS STRUCK ME AS A STUPENDOUS FEAT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING: AND ALL BY HAND AND HOOF...

hmld, I have found another photo of the Work being done on the Rea.......and it adds to the Puzzle and I will post it in a few days ( Scanner is up the chute)......I go to Stratford upon Avon once a week and I will get some shots of the cut and the bridge built by prisoners......
As the thread grows I will show you the Severn link into our canal system and any other snaps I can get
I have a pic of a canal icebreaker at work as well as taking the milk to Cadburys.......
The French canal system is a lot bigger than ours and the boats are triple our size as is their canal (the width) which I have explored a lot around Givinchy area( Battle of Mons)
What gets you if ya take a barge down to Oxford is the different bridges you encounter, swing, lift, counterbalance etc. Fascinating subject..........

Crom, isn't the reason the steel barge on the right of your pic looked big that it was empty, unlike the others, and therefore rode two or three feet higher in the water. It couldn't be wider or longer.
Peter

I was reading on the web about canal boats in the Midlands and apparently there were several types of boat. One such iteration was the Fly Boat which was a lighter shallower draft boat that was operated by single men. These boats would operate continuously day and night with relays of horses. The horses would work as a team of two or more at the gallop at about ten miles per hour (hope you people understand these units). These boats were for bringing perishable goods to market.

Wonder what happened if you had to stop these things in a hurry.

yes, there's a wealth of stuff on the internet on canals. Some of it is mainly concerned with modern touring possibilities, but there's a terrific lot of historical material. Some of it is a bit anorak-oriented, but they tend to get things right but boring, whereas 'broad-brush' enthusiasts may get carried away with their exciting ideas.
The most reliable source is probably the Victoria County History, but it's a bit dry, unlike the canal itself.
Peter

A couple of years ago when I was in Birmingham for a few weeks my brother and I had
a great time visiting some local canals in Birmingham and surrounding areas. It all got started when we went in search of the stately home Coughton Court for a tour of the house and grounds. We chose the wrong day for opening and so drove around the area having a good nose around. We ended up in Stratford on Avon and found one of the long boat tie up places and spent a couple of hours talking to the people who owned the boats.

It was a fascinating day altogether. There were boats tied up two abreast. A lady who was painting a lot of items in the old fashioned "canal" craft designs. Buckets, watering cans, various wooden items for use on the boats. We spoke to a man and his wife who had rented out their house, bought a bare bones boat and had spent a fortune on it. It had every mod con imagineable. They were canal gypsies in the true sense of the word.
The man had given up his well paid Managing Director's job to sail the canals. In the winter they would choose a spot to tie up in on the system of their choice and his wife would work temporary as a Secretary to keep her hand in and her husband would work on the boat. They had no regrets and had been living this way for five years. They were in their early 50's.

This place were they were tied up had it's own park, barbecue area and small Canal shop. I went in to the shop which was very tiny but sold all the major items to get you through the locks if you had a problem plus grocery necessitiesif you needed them. I bought some unusal post cards and had a chat with the chap who ran the shop. There were fishing platforms in this area, hot showers were available. It was a side of life I hadn't thought
much about for years and to see inside a boat was very interesting.

I remember the towpath at Salford Bridge as a child and watched as the large horses pulling along the barges and and disappearing down the towpath in the direction of Fort Dunlop. A sight a child's eye would be drawn to and missed when everything was changed in that area.

I had gone to some pubs over the years situated near the canals and I have known people who have told me that even in this day and age by going on a long boat on most
Canals in England you can see the "real" England even to this day. Virtually unchanged. The photos you put on Cromwell of the canal at the bottom of your son's garden are so lovely.

After this day out my brother and I visited the Hatton flight of locks, 21 in all and saw the Study Centres built there and strolled along. There was no one there except ourselves as it was late in the afternoon. It was so natural and all you hear at the top end of the flight was the sound of bird songs and birds taking off. It really was magical. A hidden world of beauty in a way. We visited the canal at Perry Barr off Aldridge Road and there
were workmen there bringing out all kinds of rubbish that had been dumped into the canal. The foreman told us it was a constant problem keeping the canal debris free and that it cost the City of Birmingham a lot of money for his services.

Towards the end of my holiday I found a book in a Sutton thrift shop called the "Towpaths of England" by Brian Bearshaw with illustrations by David Chesworth written in l985. The author had walked 1,000 miles of English canal waterways and describes his walks along the towpaths in several canal systems. He remarks on the beautiful Cathedral cities along the canals, Gloucester, Worcester and Ripon. The book is special because it contained a letter found loose between the pages dated 2000 from a grandson to his grandfather to whom he had given the book as a present. I had to dig this out and will now read much more of it spurred on by this great thread.

This is a pic I took from Salford Bridge over the canal looking at the Power Station before it was nomore.

That's in my minds eye of seeing the barges and the horses just beyond Salford Bridge.
Just wondering about the Power Station...When was it built and when was it demolished? Can't seem to find any info on it. I remember it and my father used to call there.

Nechells Power Station the only dates I can find are 1917- 84 .Can any one confirm?

The Birmingham,Fazeley canal which passes the site of the old power station,   still goes past a substation from the time of that  long gone Station.
There is now a new buzz on site with the various coloured lights of the new STAR CITY that replaced the Power Station,this complex of restaurants, cinima & bowling alley is a far cry from the work a day life of power generation that was Nechells.

Aston in your photo Reply 63 ......here is the Bridge with the motorway directly over it... note how they had to make a dog leg on the approach leading to the bridge so the motorway support column could be put in

Yes Cromwell, I remember my teenage pal Bruce Smith and I walking to Tamworth along that canal inorder to swim in the open air pool, if my memory serves me correct there was a very long and dark tunnel just up from that pic?

This photo was taken to the right of the above photo looking down the cut (B'ham Warwick Junction)
Nechells Gas Works on the right ( Photo took from the motoway before it opened  June 1971)

If a boat being towed by a horse met another one coming in the opposite direction the towing horse took the inside of the towpath and stopped so that the towing line fell flat and did not hinder the straining animal of the laden boat and to save being bitten all tow horses had to be muzzled, as who stopped first the boatmen had their own rules......arguments would develop at a lock between crews of boats going opposite ways and some companies put distance posts up so the first boat past the post used the lock first (like railway signals)......Lock keepers had to report drunken boatmen (especially  if they were carrying wine or spirits) and it was illegal to trade with them.
James Brindley invented the ice breaking boat in 1766 pulled by half a dozen horses and rocked by a gang of men back and forth.......but if the locks froze everything stopped and the boats were frozen in....but the canal side pubs did a roaring trade
When entering long tunnels one way working was enforced at Lappal tunnel you could only enter it from the West end at 4am, 10am, 4pm, and 10pm and from the East end at 1am, 7am, 1pm, and 7pm. All tunnels had their own timetables and in 1840 canal working on Sundays was abolished due to the efforts of the Vicar of Stourbridge in 1839 and Boatmen's Chapels sprang up to stop the men from swearing drinking and fighting as well as spreading the word of God and gave the passing boatmen a bible and testament.....Floating Chapels also appeared on the canals from 1841 and canal companies paid for parsons, singers cleaners and hymn books and set up schools for the children.....theft on the canals was rife as most boats had open holds so closed boats started to appear with padlocked hatchways with keys sewn in canvas bags to make them less accessible, that's why bathing in the canal was prohibited because bathers could swim to boats and steal from them. Chains were put across the canal at night to prevent boats moving and locks were padlocked............
Photo shows an Icebreaker on the frozen canal

Jennyann, I did a short history of Birmingham's electric supply which you can find on the main site. The first stage of the Nechells generating station was opened in 1923, and it was completed in 1923. I cannot say when it was closed down.
Peter

Back