• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

calling all office girls.

thank god for that jules another girl. alfs joining in again (just pretend we cant see them) lol what nice memories you have. also you are another who trod the path to key hill po. i used a pbmx switchboard the one with the little flashing eye lids. when one flashed we would put the plug in answer it then put the corasponding plug in the appropriate extension number. when the call had finished take out both plugs. sometimes i would have to be answering as many as 20 or 30 calls at a time. imagine the chaos with all the plugs. lol bet this has got the lads totally confused lyn ps you watch mabel mention the flashing eye lids.

Jules welcome to the office, you are joining at the top with the top job

Hi Lyn

Yes that's the type of switchboard I mean. I think we had 6 incoming lines and 50 extensions. Sometimes you would get a mild electric shock off the plugs. One of the directors used to get impatient sometimes and tap on his phone and his golf ball would jump up and down. He would then bark out the name of the company he wanted and hang up. It really used to scare me back then and I could never remember who he had asked for! Luckily for me I only used to be the relief and another girl did it full time.

I also remember using my first electric typewriter. I was taught on a manual. I would sit in this little office with windows all round and instead of hitting the return key would still try and use the carriage return leaver, which obviously wasn't there!
Oh and having to do about 3 carbon copies of everything and having to use scraps of paper inbetween the carbon whilst rubbing out on the top copy - no tippex then! Then having to line up exactly in the right place to type over the mistake and carry on. No spell checkers then either. My dictionary was well thumbed. Even now if I am unsure how to spell a word, I type it in my head and its usually right.

They might notice that Frothy, that new office Girl didn't notice the Top job I gave her,on the Stick up section.

if the Brawimin have got a new meeting room who is going to clean the snug and make the tea?

Hi All,

I knew my pay was low, now you are all confirming it - my first office job was in 1980 an I earnt about £20 a week, the bosses thought they were doing me a favour! mass unemployment at that time.

I too learnt on a 'sit and beg' type writer, my first electric typewrite was an IBM golfball, if you wanted to change the font - you changed the golfball! and then word processors! starting small, where you had 1 line of type actually coming up on the typewriter, moving on to 'Wordstar'. I had a break from work when I had my children and went back to these strange things called computers with 'mice'! what on earth were you supposed to do with a mouse!? I love it now, when I can tell people all the keyboard shortcuts and they haven't a clue!

I was a temp at Lucas Gt King Street in 1990, they still had a massive 'plug in' switchboard, it was amazing to watch the women there - how they kept up with it, i'll never know. Oh and microfiche! with a massive reader - like the ones in Birmingham Library. I could go on!

Mand x

hi jules. your last post made me laugh. welcome mand it seems most of us learnt on those great big heavies lol with regards to the switchboards there was many a time i put the wrong person through to the wrong extension and they would end up talking at cross purposes lol lyn

I decided to go to night school when my daughter was born to do RSA II typing, but when I got there,they had manual typewriters (this was the early '90's') I had been using an electric machine for many years and found I was unable to get the keys to print on the paper!

Anyone remember the old Gesteners? I went to the Jewellry 1/4 museum last weekend and the office there had one, brought memories flooding back.

Anyone remember the old Gesteners? I went to the Jewellry 1/4 museum last weekend and the office there had one, brought memories flooding back.

I used to use my school one, ah, the smell of meths and purple ink-stained fingers!

lol i bet Lloyd and mabel really feel part of us girls now as they remember the gesteners ha ha. not good engough lads you need to to better than that. i keep meaning to go to the the jewellery quarter museum really must make the effort. lyn

Hi Lyn,
Its worth going. They kept everything, they even found a receipt for milk from 1860. We arrived just in time for a guided tour which was fascinating. I have gold cutters, gold chain makers amongst other trades amongst my ancestors - it was good to see what they did - gold cutter was not what I thought at all!

Thanks lads...completely forgot about the smells, was thinking more about typing on the chalk paper and not making a mistake and then turning the handle over and over and over again! probably good for the bingo wings! ha ha!

Hi Jules - Another one making the trek up to the post office at the top of Hockley Hill eh! I used the pbmx when the girl who regularly used it wasn't there! I also remember the trunk and toll calls when you used to have to get the operator to make calls that were a distance away or abroad. You asked them to get the number and they rang you back when they had it for you. You girls may be too young to remember those!

I used to use Banda's - anyone remember those. They used them a lot at GKN in the days before photocopiers, and they were (I think) either pre Gestetner or ran alongside them. You typed on a waxed sheet that imprinted on to a bottom sheet which was then put on a drum to print off. I can't remember how we corrected mistakes, but think you had to put a piece of waxed paper between the two sheets and type over it.

The Gestetner was easier as you only had to paint across the mistake and retype over it. And yes, how I remember the carbon paper copies when a mistake was made and you used to have to put bits of paper inside the copies, rub them out, and then retype them. It's so much easier today with the photocopies that will do everything, even staple the copies together!

I think we had a Banda at school for 'training' purposes. Did you have to put the was paper on, type the letter you typed in error, then remove it and type what you wanted to say in the first place??

We did CSE and RSA1 office practice at school, but i think the equipment dated back to when te school was extended probably in the 40's.

Yes Mand, I think that was how the Banda worked. I remember it was a messy process. I took the RSA as well but I can't remember what in now! Here is a copy of an old Pitman's Office Training magazine that I put on another thread. Each girl used to have a copy weekly at school and have to do exercises out of it.

Apart from this little snippet from the other thread:
I worked as Telephonist/ Receptionist at A.D.Hayes 18/19 Caroline St
(They are still working out of a factory in Stourbridge).
I hated those letter heads from other firms, because if my colleague and I we were not too busy, we had to file them all into those big black ring binding filing books.
I found it so boring, we would have page after page to file and they all had to be in Alphabetical and Date order.
That was so they could also be used as reference books for other orders that the firms may have required.
The firm I worked for made and supplied nuts, bolts, washers and all that sort of thing all around the country, there were thousands and thousands of the items down in the Warehouse under our office.
So you can just imagine how much paper we would have to file in a day never mind a week.
I was doing a volunteer job as part of my paid job at the Hospital the other day. This included putting sticker on gift bags for the Kid's day ward. One of the girls helping me remarked about how neat and straight I was putting them on without even looking while I was doing it.
"It's like this, practice makes perfect" I said, "When I first started work part of my job as a Telephonist/ Receptionist was to stick address labels on all the mail that was to be sent out that evening and put them through the Franking machine. They all had to be put on dead straight and there were always 40 or more to do every day of the week". She laughed and said "Why straight and who would have known if they'd not been anyway" I told her "Back then we did as we were asked without question and if the head of the typing-pool didn't check them all before 'Her Girls' letters were put in them the Boss would make sure he did it himself".

Pom

Hi all, this is a great post and has brought back many memories.

Another thing about working in an office, was having to make the coffee! I used to work in an office which was above the wood store. Anytime anyone wanted a drink I used to have to walk down some wooden stairs, across the yard and into the back door of the main building. Once there, it was up the stairs, and along the corridor to the kitchen. Washing up 6 to 8 mugs, hooking them all on my fingers and back across to my own little demise. Where we kept a kettle and some coffeemate.

Once I'd progressed up the ladder a bit, I had to make coffee for the board meetings. Carrying a tray, full of china and a coffee pot - having to open doors (how my hands used to shake).

Before I started work I never had a hot drink. Always used to drink pop. Now I think I'm addicted!! Same with chocolate but I cannot blame work for that!

One of the ladies in our offices used to operate a comptometer (I think that's what it was called) This was used as a calculator and she used it for pricing up Bills of Quantities in order to quote for jobs. She always maintained it was much faster than a calculator. I suppose it would all be done on computer now.

Sorry to all the men out there that are feeling left out! If its any consolation I have always worked in offices that have been male dominated. Suppose working in a builders had a lot to do with that! lol.

Jules

And what about the 'post book'?
Not only did you have typle the letters, put a copy on the file, walk up the road to get the stamps, you than had to write every letter posted in he post book, date, who to, company name, and cost of postage! then struggle to the post box.
I was in trouble one for leaving the office at 5.25 to catch the 5.30 post - it was alright to leave a couple of minutes early but not 5! even though I started before 9 and worked part of my lunchhour. Not after that - not for that company!

In my first job I had to make the tea. I worked in an Electrical Engineers in Hockley. The entrance had polished wood panelling, and there was a little kitchenette off this. Upstairs were the offices where about 5 people worked - one main office and three smaller ones off this. At the rear was a small workshop where 3/4 men worked. My job was to make tea for them all. The metal teapot was huge!! It was so big that I could hardly lift it and my hands used to tremble trying to pour the tea out. I used to then have to take the cups round to everyone.

Later on in the 60's I was working in London (also as a temp working for the Alfred Marks Bureau). One fortnight I was sent to Lyons in Earls Court, and it was great - at mid-morning someone used to bring in a tray to your office with coffee and a selection of cakes that were being made that morning, then in the afternoon you would get tea, and more cake - great!!

Hi Mand.

Oh my god.........I'd forgotten the post book. And you had to make it balance at the end of the day or week I've forgotten which.

Jules

see girls. its all coming back to you now. its just bought to mind when as office junior i had to make all the teas. the manager there suffered from arthritis and swore by lemon tea. dont know how true that was but thats all he drank anyway. lyn

With the amount of chat on here, (BRAwimin) its a wonder any work got done in those days.

Also these days

Just thoughtI'd add my little bit to this thread!!!!
When I was first married I worked for several years in the main office of Wesleyan and General next to the Gaumont. We had a great time us girls and I've often wondered what happened to them all, and our Boss Mr Baggott.
Later on I went to EH Holden, a factory I think in Deritend. Another great job with great friends too.
We moved from Brum in 1971 and what with having four children, I didn't really settle for too long anywhere else.
Great to read all the banter.
Lynda

Hi gang, I was one of those at the other end of your telephone lines.

"Number Please"
"Your three minutes are up...do you wish to pay for more?"

"You are through caller" "Please press button B caller"

I worked at Telephone House in Newhall Street after traing at the GPO training school in Bearwood. My wage was just over £2.00. To be able to afford to go out on Saturday nights I did overtime and I always worked on Christmas Day.

My next job was on a PBX at Henry Corbetts in Newtown Row where Iwas the Telephonist/Receiptionist.

I really did love my job as a telephonist especially at Telephone House as i got to speak to people all over the country..........I even meet my first husband through the job as he was on the switchboard at RAF WYTHALL!!

Ahh those were the days.........

lynda isnt is lovely that we all seem to have nice memories of our days at the office. rowan i trained to use a pbmx at the gpo city centre and i just loved the challege of not letting it beat me when the calls got chaotic lol the leads used to fly everywhere. not to sure but was henry corbetts on the corner of tower st and newtown row. i think it was a decorating place. when on holiday in portsmouth this year i went to a living museum and part of it was dedicated to past communications. anyway i was walking round and then i spotted it made a bee line and just had to have a go. does this ring any bells girls. lyn

That's right Lyn, Corbetts were a decorating company and they were on the corner of Tower Street and Newtown Row. I was only there for about less than 2 years as I had married and left to have my first baby.

The fun we had at Telephone House was great. On a Sunday we all tuned into the RAF Wythall or Castle Bromwich to listern to Family Favorites and have a natter with the boys, but woh betide anyone who was caught!!

I used to love being on the trunk exchange where we connected to places around the world.....Australia being the most booked place for calls. I got to know a girl on Gloucester Exchange and we had a great friendship for years and I would go down to her house for a weekend and we would go to dances at Cheltenham Town Hall.

Cheltenham became my home for many yearsafter my falling in love with the place through those dances :eek:)

If I had to do it again, I would be a GPO trained telephonist again.

thank you for starting this thread.......it's great.

Back