• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Becoming a chemist 1895 to 1900?

JaneOz

Brummie babby
Any ideas as to how and where a poor boy could study science and become a manufacturing chemist between 1895 and 1900? My grandfather's entire family (i.e. both parents plus all six male siblings) worked at 'hard' labour trades (e.g. glass blowing, iron foundry work, etc.) but somehow he alone managed to get an education and eventually became a chemist. (Unfortunately, he is not listed as a graduate of Birmingham University so where would he have gone to get this education). Thanks

Jane
Probably at a technical college . At that time manufacturing would have probably recruited from there rather than a more academic institution. I would have thought it was possible (unless you know differently) that he never gained any academic qualifications, but was trained "on the job". Depending on which firm he worked for, the job of a works chemist, while requiring accuracy, delicacy, a reasonable mathematical ability and intelligence would likely not have required professional qualifications.
In the 1897 Kellys directory there is listed the municipal technical school in Suffolk St and the Aston Manor Technical School in Ettingham Road. also listed is the Handsworth Technical School, Soho Road, but this, in the directory, does not list a chemistry department, and the Kings Norton Technical Institute and the Northfield Technical Institute, neither of which list any departments.

Jane
Probably at a technical college . At that time manufacturing would have probably recruited from there rather than a more academic institution. I would have thought it was possible (unless you know differently) that he never gained any academic qualifications, but was trained "on the job". Depending on which firm he worked for, the job of a works chemist, while requiring accuracy, delicacy, a reasonable mathematical ability and intelligence would likely not have required professional qualifications.
In the 1897 Kellys directory there is listed the municipal technical school in Suffolk St and the Aston Manor Technical School in Ettingham Road. also listed is the Handsworth Technical School, Soho Road, but this, in the directory, does not list a chemistry department, and the Kings Norton Technical Institute and the Northfield Technical Institute, neither of which list any departments.
Thanks very much Mikejee. My grandfather's name was Ernest Bruce Free (1878-1929) and I've always wondered how he did it? He was the 5th of six children and the only one not engaged in a hard manual trade by age 14. (He had one sister named Florence.) The census for 1901 shows my grandfather as a 'student' but, I know that between about 1892 and 1920, he was working for a chemical company called, Southall Bros and Barclay in Birmingham. Do you know if any of the technical schools you have listed publish the names of graduates going back to the turn of the 1900s? Best wishes, Jane

Back