• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Austin

lynne webb

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I'm trying to find a brother and sister named Alice Adelaide Austin b 1902 and her brother George Thomas b 1904. By the 1911 census their mother had died but they are not living with their father. I cant find them or a death for them. Can anyone point me in the right direction to go now. Thanks in advance.
Lynne.

cant find alice but there is a death that could be george.

george thomas austin 1905 apr-jun birmingham aged 0. so it could have been before his first birthday

Thanks Shera, I thought maybe both of them had died but nothing came up on the freebmd. Thanks again for all the help you give me..
Lynne.

lynne looking again i have found a death for alice

alice adelaide austin 1902 jul-sep birmingham aged 0. how sad!

Thanks again Shera, it is so sad. I seem to have such a lot of these children that never reach their first birthday.
Thanks again for taking the time to look for me.
Lynne.

Well at least the mystery is solved but it is very sad.:( So many babies and children died in those times, I don't know how the parents coped.

Thats so true Polly, my dad thought he was one of 5 but I've found his mother had 9,but four had died.

My mother told me that she was one of seven. Only three girls survived to adult age though and she was the youngest. The others had died from Kidney problems with what was then referred to as Bright's Disease. I think she said she was about twelve when she was diagnosed. It seems she was not expected to live either. She told me how she walked home with her mother who never said a word to her. I must have only been a kid when she told me the story but I think she said her mother had tears streaming down her face. I get the feeling her mother was probably emotionally spent after the deaths of four daughters and an adopted son but it just wasn't spoken about. I suppose that there was always an expectation of high child mortality but of course the British way is to put on a front.

When our son Andrew was little and being young his autism was far more of a nightmare I decided that I could not do the stiff upper lip thing. I don't mean I went about saying how hard life was but nor did I lie and I think people were better for it. I'd smile and say I was struggling but getting there. I found some lovely people who were full of love and support because I didn't push them away. People, I decided, need to know the truth about differences of all types.

The people who have gone before us never spoke of many things. Perhaps if they had, they would have been happier people.

Jill

My mom was one of 13 children only 7 survived to adulthood,as a little girl she was pallbearer to her brother Ronnie,she also did it for other children and was paid 3p.for each one.
There used to be a board which hung outside the pawnshop in Summer Lane,for the purpose.
The photo.is Ronnie just before he died.

Lord Austin with a six-light fixed head saloon of the new Austin " Eight."
(February 1939, Birmingham Mail)

IMG_8045.jpeg

Back