• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Juxta Lookups

Hello Babs...The GRO Certificate is a written copy of the original certificate, so the original copy will NOT have the additional info that you are hoping for regarding second names or different witnesses...you can certainly see the original certificates on micro fiche in B'ham library. Happy hunting...

Margaret.

Hi Margaret,

Thankyou for replying.

So a GRO certificate is actual just a copy of the church record that is just sent along to the government to register the marriage?...is that right? I thought it would be different...alas any additional clues to deciphering the family tree is welcome.

Barb

The marriage certificates have not changed in format since 1837 when they were first issued. I would always recommend applying for BMD certificates relating to B'ham from BIRMINGHAM REGISTER OFFICE , as all certificates from them are ACTUAL photo copies of the originals, so you get to see the handwriting of your relatives. Certainly the early certificates were hand copied by the GRO.

You could always ask on a new thread for help trying to find info relating to Alice Morgan & her family...there are some great detectives on this site who love a challenge....

Margaret.

:stupid: Excuse me not wanting to be a know all but i have noticed a few requests about aston juxta, my knowledge of these things is limited but my interpretation of JUXTA means between or close by and it's not the name of a place i.e aston juxta birmingham but if i have got it wrong there are people on this wonderful site who will correct me!

phil :encouragement:

No I believe you to be correct. - [h=1]juxta-, juxt- +[/h][h=4](Latin: beside; close by, close to, near; adjoining; proximity; to come together, to meet)[/h]

You are correct. Aston juxta is just an abbreviation of "Aston juxta Birmingham". It refers to the whole old parish of Aston, which included a lot of land to the east of Birmingham, such as parts of Deritend , and all Saltley; not just what is now considered to be Aston

Aston probably means "East Farm" and therefore would be quite a common place name. Aston Juxta Birmingham (Aston next to Birmingham) is therefore a way of describing the place more exactly.

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to access records for Aston Juxta Church as far back as the 1600s and 1500s, and if so, where would I find them?

thanks.

Harborne

Sorry I forgot there is a Churches section, am re-posting this there.

Harborne

Hi,
I have tried & failed to find the details of this marriage (Banns are on Ancestry) but I wonder if anyone has access to St Peter St Paul, Aston, & would be able to look at the following marriage please?

21st May 1911.
WILLIAM GODDARD & FLORENCE JONES. (Father of William : JOHN GODDARD, Warehouse packer)

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you,

Skylark.

Thank you MWS...Not my William Goddard then ! Back to the search for me then...thank you for your help very much.

skylark.

hi skylark...are you looking for the marriage cert for william and florence ? if so i have an appointment for the library tomorrow...got a lot to get through but if i have time would you like me to try to find the marriage cert and get a copy of it for you..

lyn

Hello Lyn,
I think the information that MWS found on family search means that this is NOT the William Goddard in my tree...but many thanks for you kind offer.

regards,
skylark

ok skylark no problem...if you do find the correct one give me a shout as i am at the library quite often now...

lyn

Back