• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Articles: The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries. Recent Articles

“Keep it local, and community. May is Local and Community History Month and what better way to celebrate than to highlight some of the local history groups in Birmingham.”

John Smeaton.
“In Birmingham, he is best remembered for his Report to the Committee of the Birmingham Canal, 1782 [L/acc./593899] and his planning of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal (1782-89).”

John Smeaton.
“In Birmingham, he is best remembered for his Report to the Committee of the Birmingham Canal, 1782 [L/acc./593899] and his planning of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal (1782-89).”

Very very interesting! Are there any books on the life of John Smearton? I have tried to subscribe to the Iron Room but my subscription is still pending. I think it is because my location. Thanks,

John Smeaton.

There is also an article on Historic England Blog…

There is also an article on Historic England Blog…

Thank you Pedro, there are a number of books about him on Amazon. I am so surprised that in retrospect that the likes of Smeaton, Watt, Boulton, Murdoch, Brunel and many others are not recognized in retrospect for their contributions. It seems (getting off topic) that only those that deal with what I call “soft stuff” for the most part are recognized.

Back