• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Any information welcomed

The only clues I really have from her record of events/write-up is where she mentions:
  • the show as being "Earl Williams-Tower Room?", and
  • the bomb which caught her and her friend was somewhere close to Coventry Road.
When I first read this I wondered if the "tower room" was actually somewhere in the hospital where they showed films for the entertainment of the staff.
The current hospital has a "tower block" which made me wonder.
Then you suggested they were catching a bus back to the hospital so I wasn't sure.

It's been a while so I thought it time for an update. I managed to get to Birmingham in very late April (attending a conference at the NEC for a couple of days) and stayed in Birmingham for about a week. During that time, and based on some excellent input from some members of this forum, I did manage to track down some of the places that my mother would have been or had lived during the time she lived there (mid-1938 to late 1940). Couldn't figure out everything but was quite happy to make some of the linkages/connections.

And speaking of good experiences, both my wife and I were fascinated by Birmingham. We stayed in a hotel on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter and spent a fair bit of time exploring that area and others. Birmingham has an awful lot to offer and we only just scratched the surface but are very glad to have spent time there. Hopefully we'll get back there again and see more.

Thanks to everyone!

It's been a while so I thought it time for an update. I managed to get to Birmingham in very late April (attending a conference at the NEC for a couple of days) and stayed in Birmingham for about a week. During that time, and based on some excellent input from some members of this forum, I did manage to track down some of the places that my mother would have been or had lived during the time she lived there (mid-1938 to late 1940). Couldn't figure out everything but was quite happy to make some of the linkages/connections.

And speaking of good experiences, both my wife and I were fascinated by Birmingham. We stayed in a hotel on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter and spent a fair bit of time exploring that area and others. Birmingham has an awful lot to offer and we only just scratched the surface but are very glad to have spent time there. Hopefully we'll get back there again and see more.

Thanks to everyone!

hi david thanks for letting us know how your trip went...pleased you enjoyed it

lyn

The hospital went right through to Hobmoor Road, I used to live there and could walk to Coventry Road in 15 minutes was always going to the Adelphi cinema.

Back