• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Allcock Street, Deritend

does anyone have a photo of the gt western pub on the corner of allcock and hack st please..also posting map showing where no 50 was for frothy

allcock st no 50.jpg

Your wish is my command Lyn.

Attachments

• The Great Western Inn hack st deritend.jpg
    The Great Western Inn hack st deritend.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 56
wow great photo terry many thanks:)

lyn

Hello, the photograph is one of mine and I can only assume terryb18 found it somewhere else on the web. Anyway I am pleased you have got it. It shows my Great Uncle, Harry Hayward and his son, Harry Hayward jnr. I have other pictures should you be interested.

Stumbled across this forum by chance after reading Carl Chinn's book about the real Peaky Blinders in which Allcock Street and the Great Western were mentioned. My Dad and Mum, Ray and Edna Jones, took over the running of the Great Western around about 1960 when I was 8. They only stayed a couple of years as the brewery sacked them when they were caught providing lodgings to workmen! They employed a cleaner who us kids used to call Winnie with a hole in her pinny. Don't know if Winnie was her real name but perhaps someone out there might? Dad had a motorbike and sidecar. My sister Angela and I went to the Infant's & Junior school in Ada Road which backed into the Blues ground if I recall correctly. Over the road from the pub there was a bakery run by a Jewish man - can't recall his name but I do know that his family ran a baker's shop on the Pershore Road near the cricket ground. I loved to go there to fetch fresh bread and he always gave me a cake. I had some friends who lived in the back-to-back's that still stood across the road towards Heath Mill Lane.

That is a very very kind offer, Mike but I cannot prove the connection. George Milner married Ann Partridge, a widow at St Martins 27.12.1825. I am currently trawling through St Martins registers, a slow job, to see if I can find the burial of a Partridge prior to 1825 with a spouse called Ann. I do not even know if Partridge was Ann's maiden name or married name. The reason I suspect there is a link is because both Milners & Partridges had West Bromwich & Aston connections and Ann's sons became a retail brewer in William St & a publican in Blews St. My thinking is that as so many Partridges were publicans they may have passed the expertise to the Milners.
My research starting point is the St Martins registers. I spent 5 hours on them yesterday and barely scratched the surface. West Bromwich transcripts gave no clues at all even though their eldest son was born & baptised there 15.10.1826.
I have to accept I may never find the Milner & Partridge roots and never discover the social links between the 2 families, but I am not giving up yet.
Once again, thank you. If I ever do find the link I would like to get back to you.
Shirley

Hi Shirley,

Ann Partridge was my great x5 grandmother. I have tried researching the same link myself. I have found a possible maiden name of Groves. As Ann listed her birthplace on all 4 census returns (1841-1871) as West Bromwich in 1786 and later going on to marry a Joseph Partridge who died in the early 1820's before she married my great x5 grandfather George Milner.
On the 1851 census for her son George Milner (1826-1907) His wife Hannah (Maiden name of Garner) is listed as a Licensed Victualler, which is 9 years before I have found evidence he entered the pub trade himself. The link could be from Hannah Garner later Milner?

Jordan

Jordan
Bordesley Exile does not seem to have been on the forum for 10 years, so do not know if she will see your post. Hopefully she will get an email message that someone has answered the thread and will reply

Hello, the photograph is one of mine and I can only assume terryb18 found it somewhere else on the web. Anyway I am pleased you have got it. It shows my Great Uncle, Harry Hayward and his son, Harry Hayward jnr. I have other pictures should you be interested.
Hi Winterbrun
I just found your comment about the Great Western Inn I would love to see any more photographs you have. I lived there in the late sixties my stepfather was the manager.

Back