• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

York Street 1841.

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
I have a burial record at St Philips in 1841 which states the abode as York St. Does anyone know where this might have been. I have scanned maps of the period to no avail and the only one on google today is Harborne, which I do not think is the one. Can anyone help. Clarkie

There was a York St in Harborne, but i do not know if it was there in 1840s as Birmingham directories did not include it in Birmingham. The road is almost certainly off Lancaster St. As shown on the c 1890 OS map below, it changed to Lawson St between 1897 & 1899

map_c_1890_showing_York_st.jpg

Thanks Mike, with your help I have been able to place it on my Birmingham East map of 1841, it's not too clear so you need to know where to look. Regards Clarkie

Back