• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW2 Bombed Buildings Where new BCFC stadium is to be Built.

ALH

Does anyone know the reason or the significance of the buildings for the bombing of the area bordered by Bordesley Park Rd, Arden Rd and Garrison Lane near Tilton Rd. school? I was born in 1947 and all the area in Bordesley/Bordesley Green and Saltley was a wasteland tip or bombsite.
Was it bombed and reduced to rubble? What sort of buildings originally stood There? I would be grateful for any information.

hope someone can help you...i have also moved this thread from "using this forum" to the correct section of the forum which is WW2 discussion

• Appreciate
Reactions: ALH
I am not sure of the answer but this 1938 map of the area might help. Seem to be a lot of "motor" factories in the area were they involved in aircraft parts?

The site where the new BCFC is to be built originally had several brick works there, plus of course part of the Morris Commercial works, and Milliner's coachbuilders who did a lot of military vehicles during the war was close by, plus of course the main railway line between Birmingham and London.
Another prime target at Adderley Park was the SU Carburettor Company where the huge carburettors were made for the Merlin engines used in the Spitfires.
In the 1950's/60's there was a big Ready Mix Concrete works on that site.
PA739

• Appreciate
Reactions: ALH
Back