• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wrensons, Geo Masons or Badgerys

Bluebird

Hello everyone. I have a photo I'd like to share with you of my mom in a store that I always thought was in Erdington as she lived there in the early 50's. Some people have said it might be a Wrenson's or a Mason's but having just read one of the threads on here, I found out there was a Wrenson's and a George Mason's at Tile Cross where my mom moved to some time in the 50's. It's probably a long shot but does anyone recognise it or have an idea which store it might be? It would be lovely to know.:)

Attachments

• 20170611_192536.jpg
    20170611_192536.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
Its a typical grocer shop, but very much like Badgerys on the corner of Station Road and Johnson Road, Erdington.

The girls in the photo seem to have a colour on their collar and I have a vague recollection that Wrensons were cream and blue but I may be wrong. However, as Morturn says it is typical of shops of that period.

Well most certainly the layout, with the Berkel Bacon slicer on the right and the white lab coats is just as Badgerys was in the late 70's. I do recall the chap saying that once they had five people working in the shop. It was still doing delivery's by bike till quite late

There's no visible Wrenson's logo on the uniform, nor are there any Wrenson's own brand products in the photo. (That doesn't necessarily mean to say it isn't a Wrenson's shop, but there's nothing to confirm it either). I also suspect some of the people in the photo are related. Viv.

Well most certainly the layout, with the Berkel Bacon slicer on the right and the white lab coats is just as Badgerys was in the late 70's. I do recall the chap saying that once they had five people working in the shop. It was still doing delivery's by bike till quite late

Oh that bacon slicer. There was one of those in the Co-op where I worked as a Bacon Hand in the 50s, I still have the scar ! That gadget on the top was a sharpening device.

There's an image posted on the thread link provided by Radiorails above which shows Wrenson's staff outside a Wrenson's shop. It's in post #142. Their uniform is all-white, no coloured collars etc. Viv.

Its a typical grocer shop, but very much like Badgerys on the corner of Station Road and Johnson Road, Erdington.
Thanks for all the comments, I love reading about everyones memories and experiences. I've read the whole thread on Wrensons unfortunately I can't see any images, not sure why, I'll have to investigate. Badgery's is a new one on me, I've not heard of that one before. Forgot to say in my original post that the lady on the left is my mom!

Badgery's is the shop on the corner, right where the little cart is. In the second picture it the shop on the corner of Johnson Road

Attachments

• 14610894_10209421636291268_5355249605045185564_n.jpg
    14610894_10209421636291268_5355249605045185564_n.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Station Road Erdington c1914.jpg
    Station Road Erdington c1914.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 24
Badgery's is the shop on the corner, right where the little cart is. In the second picture it the shop on the corner of Johnson Road
Oh wow, great photo's, thank you. I do find it so interesting to see how everything looked for my parents and how they lived.

Hello everyone. I have a photo I'd like to share with you of my mom in a store that I always thought was in Erdington as she lived there in the early 50's. Some people have said it might be a Wrenson's or a Mason's but having just read one of the threads on here, I found out there was a Wrenson's and a George Mason's at Tile Cross where my mom moved to some time in the 50's. It's probably a long shot but does anyone recognise it or have an idea which store it might be? It would be lovely to know.:)
My brother worked at Wrenson's on Kingstanding Road by Hawthorn Road. Looking at this photograph the layout was almost identical. His shop may have been wider. On the left were tins of biscuits at ground level, the coffee grinder was red as I remember, bacon slicer the same as this photo. He then moved to George Mason's on Hawthorn Road as Asst Manager.

Back