• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

workhouse records no joy at Central Library

annaj

proper brummie kid
Hi - I went in to Central Library in Birmingham on Saturday to see if any records from Aston Union workhouse were there, but apparently there are none. However, I seem to remember somebody on an older forum saying some admissions records existed but were going to be restored. Does anyone know where I may access these records as I am looking for an adult admission around 1818/9?

However, I'm also searching for two children admissions and even though their mother may have been in the workhouse with them, I am told they would still have been housed in the cottages in 1818/9. were children housed separately to their parents?

I have been pointed in the direction of somebody who deals with adoption records from that time as she can trace the cottages records. even though the children in question were not orphans will i still need to contact this person?

I would be grateful for any help re workhouse records as it was very hard to extract any information form the library. many thanks:)

Please note that Union Workhouses did not start until 1834 poor law act before that it was the parish workhouse

Back