• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woodfield brick Wall locating the link St philips

Fiona-h1973

Hi my name is Fiona and I have this brick wall for the 15 years and I am on a mission to get through as at the moment it my last one

My 4 g grandmother was Mary Woodfield born between 1802 and 1806 that's all I know on her start of life she married a Thomas Potter in Wentnor Shropshire 1830 she is on the 1841 census which confirms she was not bornin Shropshire.She died 1850 in child birth and is buried with her son Thomas at Shelve Shropshire

I have and searched and there is no parentage in Shropshire

Why did she end up.in Shropshire?

I have now found a Francis Woodfield with wife Mary baptising 3 girls Ann Cornelia twice as one died and is buried at Wentnor he baptised them between 1829 and 1833

Can not locate this family on.census returns after this

I have found Francis baptism born 1803 baptised St Philip.Birmingham to Richard and Susanna at St Philip Birmingham no baptism for Mary

So are they cousins?

I have a marriage at Wentnor for Maria Woodfield to.Edward Thomas 1843, I think this could be.a sister
To Mary but she died I.think.1847 not 100% sure

But I.think.this is Marias baptism 27 Sept 1816 Daughter of Wiliam and Sarah St Michael Conventry Warwickshire

But.I can see anything for Mary

I.think William.and Richard where brothers and possibly Mary is daughter to.William or another brother

There is also a Jonathan Woodfield baptising a Edwin Woodfield at Wentnor in 1849 with Elizabeth

Richard married Susanna Moseley St philips in 1788

I.think.and believe they linked and any help.would honestly be appreciated

Fiona

As I see Mary was born in Kings Bromley Staffordshire there is a possible baptism in 1804. Mary born 1st January 1804 and baptised 27th January at St Mary's Stafford with parents Charles and Penelope. I can't access any more as it is an "index only record".

Janice

Sorry _ I am not sure why I thought this was right except it was early in the morning - please ignore.

Very frustrating. I'd caution on making connections on tenuous evidence, there are always records that aren't available yet unfortunately.

Do you know for certain that her name was Woodfield? Have you seen the marriage record, was she a spinster or widow? Were there any other clues - witnesses or different parish?

Have you seen the birth certificate for one of her children? Is mother's maiden name Woodfield?

Have you traced any of the other Woodfields, to see if you can find a connection later on?

Fiona, if you follow the advice of MWS it may give you a lead especially marriage witnesses.

It may be a long search because i have found 5 Mary Woodfield between 1802 -1806
in Staffs(accounted for,Alvaston Derby, Warwick, hertford and London.
and those are only ones that have been recorded there may be many more.
If you do not have the marriage record you will find parish records at the County records office.

I checked the Mary Woodfield born Kings Bromley she was unmarried in 1841 working at Bromley Hall.

Last edited:
Back