• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

miffyarcturus

Does anyone have any information in regards to the canal houses. Address 36 and 97 canal house, winson green, Birmingham, UK
36 & 97 Cottages at Winson Green junction 1975.jpgmine 12 - 2014.jpgc0a31d6120233ed920c7e8f65d3b0ff1-437422071.jpgmine 4 -  2014.jpgtoll house.jpgsoho01_sm.jpgWinson Green Toll office Joe Taylor No.2 1938-39.jpg
These canal houses on the winson green junction on the corner of the New BCN line and the old soho loop. I want to know who built it and when it was built. who were the occupants through out history. late 1970's till present i now the details of.

Kinsella Family Listed in 1939 Registry- House 1
Element Family Listed in 1939 Registry- House 2

Attachments

• ELEMENTS.jpg
    ELEMENTS.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The provision of canal houses for Birmingham Canal Workers may be traceable through canal records, but it is a complex trawl through records in different location. The cottage numbering scheme was introduced by the canal company in the second half of the nineteenth century. No 36 was built earlier than 97. Later cottages might be let out to non canal workers.

The Elements were a family of canal carriers, and later road carriers

Does anyone have any information in regards to the canal houses. Address 36 and 97 canal house, winson green, Birmingham, UK
View attachment 186248View attachment 186249View attachment 186250View attachment 186251View attachment 186252View attachment 186253View attachment 186254
These canal houses on the winson green junction on the corner of the New BCN line and the old soho loop. I want to know who built it and when it was built. who were the occupants through out history. late 1970's till present i now the details of.

Kinsella Family Listed in 1939 Registry- House 1
Element Family Listed in 1939 Registry- House 2

miffyarcturus, these are great pictures thank you for posting and I hope you get at least some of your questions answered. Welcome to the Forum, a very good place, enjoy!​

One wonders how the cyclist crossed the plank without falling in the canal. There seems room for the bicycle or rider, but not both.

As to dating the houses, I note on checking the ordnance survey that the first two show a single house on the Winson Green site, that is up to 1902 survey, on the third survey of 1912 there are two new houses side by side.

So the inference is that the original number was retained for one of the new houses and another last in the list at that time given to the other.

Back