• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wills

Hughes

master brummie
Having obtained a copy of Probate,is it possible to find what actual money was distributed to
those mentioned in the will?
Regards
John Hughes

Please tell me if i,m wrong but i thought probate was related to people who had not made a will.Dek

From dictionary of genealogy
Probate - This term means Approval by a competent court that an instrument puporting to be the testiment of the deceased person was indeed his lawful act, together with authority to the exector (s) to carry out its terms.

Hang on to your hats, have actually done just that 'Hughes,'

What you get from most sites is a copy of the index entry, pretty much like the births index - is just a little snapshot. If you go on to the Probate website it has a little form that you can fill out and request a copy of the will and OR letters of administration (official thingy done by relatives when someone dies, in order to manage the deceased's property and money) = £5 per simple 4 year search (is extra for each 4 year slot that you request) . Will try to attach link to all the advice and info. you need here https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm Yipee! it worked.

Important to note that not all persons on the probate register made a will, some will only be brief descriptions of which relatives took out the 'letters of administration.' Also, key thing is time they take to arrive. Mine are + 3 weeks and still waiting and that was with all the info. on dates of death/probate (nb aren't always the same dates) and with last know addresses. Patience is definitely required. Poor postie, I keep accosting him at the door.

Hope that helps, Sarah.

Careful Sarah. If you keep accosting our forum owner at the door you might get yourself banned - or of course it might have the opposite effect
Mike

Ha! Think we might both find it entertaining! Poor Postie got soaked yesterday and still no wills to make it worth his while.

If someone has died within the last 5 years is it possible on line to find out whether they left a will, or what happened to their estate?

From what I can remember Carolynn, the Index to Wills at the library finish about 20 years ago, so I suspect the answer is no, unless you apply to the Probate Office in York. That costs £5. I would suggest you ring the 6th floor at the library and ask when the Index to Wills goes up to. The phone number used to be 0121 303 4220, but it may have changed.

Shortie

Why bother with York.Try your very own probate office Priory Courts.Bull St.012 681 3400
John Hughes

The bound Probate index volumes at Birmingham Library only go up to 1971.
For more recent records visit any Probate office and use their computer terminal to search the 'HMCS Willfinder'; you can search up to and including 2010.
I have done this at Birmingham on many occasions and find the service very useful; no booking necessary. The terminal at Birmingham is in the probate office waiting area on the third floor.
Andy Parkes

Hi

I have several wills that I want to get from 1872, 1905, and 1877, I have seen the probate index and the 1905 will was proved at Birmingham, although the other two were proved at Worcester. How do I go about getting copies of the Wills please? Where do I have to apply to? Does the Birmingham probate office hold wills as far back as 1905. Actually I need 1944 and 1953 also, I presume that they would be there? Where would Worcestershire wills be from this time period.

I would be grateful for some advice. I find it very frustrating as I have obtained wills in the past but so long ago now that I just cant remember where from!

Thanks
Helen

I have no idea what are available in Birmingham, however, I have sent for several Wills from the Probate Office in Leeds. Via this web-site:

https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk

Selects Forms and Guidance (top left menu)
Under work type select Probate

This will show a list of formes, Pa1S is the application for a probate search. The second page has some instructions, cost, method of payment, etc.

The last time I sent for a Will is cost £5 for the first copy, and £1 for each subsequent copy. This cost also included the Letters of Adminstration.

It did take about a month or five weeks though.

Shortie

Go to the Priory Probate Office in Bull St,3 rd floor or give them a ring on 0121 681 3400
Regards
John Hughes

You can apply to Birmingham to get the wills back to mid 19th century. The wills don't have to be proved in Birmingham. I have ordered two or three from there recently that were proved in London and found the service to be excellent. Cost is £5 and turn around time is about a week, but you will need to provide probate date and location to avoid an additional search fee. If you can't get to Bham Probate Reg, include all the information in a letter to the address in #12, together with payment that should suffice.

You can apply to Birmingham to get the wills back to mid 19th century. The wills don't have to be proved in Birmingham. I have ordered two or three from there recently that were proved in London and found the service to be excellent. Cost is £5 and turn around time is about a week, but you will need to provide probate date and location to avoid an additional search fee. If you can't get to Bham Probate Reg, include all the information in a letter to the address in #12, together with payment that should suffice.
I remember many years ago people used to say"Where theres a will theres a way", I think this has been changed to "Where theres a a will theres relations", Bernard

Back