• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wills & Probate - Another Source

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I think that many of us are aware of the Find-A-Will probate source here:-

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

But not everyone may be aware that there are also over half a million Wills & Probate Notices on the London Gazette site here:-

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/wills-and-probate

Not very easy to search unless you are looking for a not so common name or if you are looking for the older stuff, but another resource nevertheless. I hope that someone will find this of help.

Maurice

No, Lyn, completely free, though if you want a lot more detail and a copy of the Will, you will, of course, have to.

Maurice

Thank you for the link to The Gazette Maurice. I've just found details of bankruptcy for one ancestor and liquidation for another!! (1858 and 1875).
It confirmed so many things including his last six addresses. What a result!
rosie.

Hi Rosie,

I'm so glad it gave you some success. Where defunct or suspected defunct businesses are concerned, the Gazette and the British Newspaper Library are generally my first ports of call after Google. Companies House is not now the great source it once was as they dispose of all records once a business has been ceased trading for 20 years. Sadly I wish more old employee records managed to find their way into the various archives.

Maurice

thanks maurice i must have a look at that after dinner...great result for you rosie...:)

Back