• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Manton, Saltley Hairdresser 1861-91.

shavedfish49

master brummie
My g/g/grandfather WILLIAM MANTON was a hairdresser on the census for 1861 and 1871 at High Street, Saltley, and Alum Rock Road in 1881 and 1891.
Can anyone confirm these details for me as I have no access to trade directories. Was he still there in 1895? Many thanks.

1861 Mill Lane Saltley
1878 High Street Saltley also 1879 and 1880
1883 41 Adderley Road Saltley
1885 7 Alum Rock Road
above dates are the only ones I can find mentioning him he was all ways an hairdresser

Many thanks John. On the 1861 census aged 24 he was a hairdresser and in 1891 he was still doing the job. Only info I have is from the censuses. So in 1861 and 1871 his address was High Street, Saltley. 1881 is 3 Alum Rock Road and 1891 it's 7 Alum Rock Rd. In 1901 he and his wife are living with relatives in Cromwell St and his employment is a Journeyman.

There used to be a barber called Jack. It was more or less opposite S tSaviours School. I used to go there as a child. I remember a preliminary search for nits (Dicks). although he had electric clippers he used hand clippers for kids.
The problem was he moved them quicker than they could cut and so pulled out some of your hair. Happy days.

Shavedfish, William Manton was a Journeyman Painter in 1901.
To be a journeyman you had to have served an apprenticeship and be able to work on your own as an employee as opposed to having your own business(Master painter).
What a change in career over a space of 10 years,hairdresser to journeyman painter.

Back