• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William BLACKHAM, Born 30/10/1842, Birmingham

TC3

proper brummie kid
This gentleman's parents were Joseph BLACKHAM, a Fishmonger, and his wife Elizabeth Kidd (nee ROWLEY)........the father died in 1850 and mother re-married a William JACKSON in 1855. He had four siblings, Elizabeth born 1845, Alfred 1847, Bertha 1856 and Harry 1860.
He spent a short time in Parkhurst Prison between 1859-1862.
And that is the extent of my knowledge!! Can anyone help with details post-1862 please? There are several William BLACKHAM's, some with a Derbyshire connection, but they are "red herrings".
Thank You,
TC3

His father is listed as a nailer so possibly a different one.

Can't see anything else for him. Emigration maybe?

Thank you for the research........there is one possibility in the 1881 Census (RG11/3018/68, p.28) countering emigration or early death.

TC3

There is only one birth of a William Blackham in Birmingham in 1842,(no others for 5years either side)
In 1851 age 8 living with his widowed mother Elizabeth and brother alfred age 3.
The head of the house, in Dale end, is Elizabeth Rowley, his grandmother , a fishmonger

Birth 30th oct 1842 baptised St Phillips Birmingham 21st November 1842 parents Joseph and Elizabeth

Alberta - can you find him after his prison sentence?
His mother remarried in 1855 and his stepfather (William Jackson) is named on the criminal register. Then our William vanishes.

If he was in prison in 1861 he should be on the census. However I haven't found Parkhurst prison never mind him. I have located the deputy governor so will have another search tomorrow.

silly question but i take it we can get the census for the isle of wight

be nice to find out if things turned out ok for him after a bad start in life

Last edited:
Yes but I struggled to find it.
I thought the prison would have its own book but I haven't found it yet.

parkhurst prison register of prisoners is on ancestry jan.. is this what you are looking for

Wm Blackham
Criminal Admission Age16
Record TypeRegister
Birth Dateabt 1843
Birth PlaceBirmingham, England
OccupationButton Turner
Criminal ChargeLarceny
Criminal Admission Date17 Feb 1859
Criminal Admission PlaceEngland
JailParkhurst Prison
Source DescriptionParkhurst Prison, Isle of Wight: Register of Prisoners

Is that the 1861 census or register of prisoners? I had seen the register but was looking for the census. Perhaps there is only one record.
Thanks Lyn. Will look later.

Good Morning,

Thank you everyone for your efforts. I'm resigned to the thought that William BLACKHAM does not want to be found!!!!

TC3

Back