• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this ? Row of Shops

No, not Aston, and I can see why Dek could think Gravelly Lane but it's not correct, and neither is Short Heath.

It looks like no2 on the tram and there appears to be a graveyard and church in the back ground is it the High St Erdington. Dek

Well done Dek - it is indeed the High Street Erdington, village green end. The row of shops was where Blockbuster currently stands, the church in the background is the top of the Abbey.

Is it The Green Erdington Village

Phil

Sorry must have been answering the same time as Dek

Thanks Ian although i,ve got to admit it was pure luck i was thinking the other way round and the church was St Barnabos, stated with no confidence as it felt all wrong.Dek

Well done Dek - it is indeed the High Street Erdington, village green end. The row of shops was where Blockbuster currently stands, the church in the background is the top of the Abbey.

No, the church is St Barnabus, the Abbey is well past where the tram terminus was (at Broadfields Road). The corner shop visible is at Mason Rd junction.

I stand corrected Lloyd - I was told ( and believed ) that the shops were the corner of Wilton Road / High Street - as seen on the right of this postcard.

Ian this one has got me puzzled from your photo in post#13 that looks to me to be the same shop as in photo #1 however the church is not the Abbey as it has a Steeple and also the wall is much higher (we have a family plot there)and the road there is on a slope there is no sign of the Cross Guns so i am not sure its even a church.Dek

Those shops are exactly where you say they are Ian, on the corner of Wilton road and High st.
Your original picture is a view looking towards the Abbey, with the railings around the Green to the right.
In that view you would have your back to St Barnabas church as your last picture shows, also in that picture Mason road is on the left.

My apologies, of course you are right. I have long held the (erroneous) belief that the sharp apex of the green triangle faced Sutton, but of course it faces Erdington village and St Barnabus' church. I was confusing the angle of High St / Orphanage Rd with that of High St and the much later Sutton New Rd.
And of course the trams passed the Abbey, a few doors up from the Cross Keys - why I thought it was the other side of the city boundary I have no idea.
An extreme senior moment, I suppose.

The shape of the green still exists, as seen on this aerial view.

Back