• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What has happened to our great statues ?

The Column of St George was erected as part of the 1937 celebrations for the coromation of George VI and then re-used for the Pageant of Birmingham in 1938 to celebrate the centenary of the Charter of Birmingham.

The sculptor was Alan Bridgwater (1903-1962) and it was made of wood and plaster. After the celebrations were over The Birmingham Civic Society suggested that the statue of Edward VII be removed from Victoria Sqaure and relocated to the top of Edmund Street at the junction with Easy Row. It further suggested that Queen Victoria be placed in a niche in the Council House and a permanent column of St George be erected from bronze and stone in the middle of the traffic island east of the Town Hall

Although the proposals were met with a positive reaction, the onset of the Second World War and the post war austerity meant that it would never come to pass. The plaster/wooden model was thereafter scrapped.

The Civic Society also suggested demolishing the nasty gothic Victorian Chamberlain Fountain and creating a wide tree lined boulevard focussing on the clock tower of the Art Gallery (Big Brum). This idea forms the basis of Argent plc's development plans for the Central Library today!

If anyone wants to know more about Alan Bridgewater, I can post a brief biography.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro Civitate,thanks for the information I knew if I aked you would have the answer...........Wendy

I recently discovered that although Montreal beat Birmingham as the first place in the world to erect a statue to the memory of Lord Nelson, Birmingham now has the oldest surviving statue in the world.

The Montreal statue was originally constructed using British Coade stone, a popular artificial stone in the 18th and early 19th century. In the 1980s, the statue was taken down and sprayed with a polyester resin to seal it (this "conservation" technique was thought to be an innovative solution at the time), but it actually kept the moisture in which was a disaster and and did not allow it to breathe, so it began to break up and explode.

In 1980, as a result of it becoming dangerous it was taken down and a new copy statue sculpted in Indianna limestone.

The statue was then placed back at the top of its 50 feet Neo-Classic monument in Cartier Square.

Birmingham's statue to Lord Nelson (choosing my words carefully) is the world's oldest!

Statue of Edward VII

The Birmingham Civic Society is to launch an appeal towards funds to restore the statue of Edward VII and is working with the owner (Birmingham City Council) to have the statue re-sited in the city centre.

It is hoped that the work will involve conservation to the statue, restoration of the broken orb and sceptre and the re-instatement of the three bronzes stolen in 1986.

The one bronze is symbolic of Peace – or the peacemaker – and the other represents Education and Progress. The figure of Peace is represented by a draped feminine figure encircling the globe with one arm and holding over it a spig of olive, whilst in her other hand she holds roses and other floral symbols to represent the harvest of peace.

The opposite group has a central figure instructing a child from a scroll and there were also tother symbols carved in rich detail.

On the front of the pedestal was an intricate and eloborate imperial crown surmounting a figure of St George slaying the dragon.

Attachments

• king edward statue in highgate park.jpg
    king edward statue in highgate park.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3
  • king edward VII.JPG
    king edward VII.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 3
The Edward VII statue looks wonderful. Lets hope it can be restored, thanks for the information.

According to the Birmingham Evening Mail today some of our statues of Birmingham past are to come out of moth balls, because of the big demand, people want to see the old statues instead of some of the modern stuff. They will be "Offered as works of public art to decorate new developments". :)

Hi Charlie, it didn't say in the paper when they were going to start coming out of mothballs, sooner then later hopefully :)

I came across an article in the London Illustrated News of 1888 stating that a marble statue had been erected in Birmingham's Art Gallery of John Bright MP for 25 years service in the House of Commons, the statue which was over 7 feet tall on its plinth was unveiled by Mr George Dixon MP on April 11th as Mr Jaffray who was president of the Statue Committee was prevented from attending due to illness...does anyone know if it is still in the Art Gallery or has it been moved?
Pic from article enclosed

bham statues

According to the Bham post today the planning application for the beach in Chamberlain square refers to the statue of J.B.PRIESTLEY !!!
I think this says it all about our present city rulers

I wonder what happened to this chap which once decorated the two Floral fountains in Broad Street (did he have a sword?)
He was made to represent a 'smith bestriding the city which is represented by a model of the council house

Sprit of Birmingham (1937-38)

Ahh, the Spirit of Birmingham. This was sculpted by William Bloye, Chairman of the Technical Committee of The Birmingham Civic Society.

Originally conceived in the early 1930's, it was sculpted for the Coronation of George VI in 1937 and commissioned by The Birmingham Civic Society at a cost of £1,500 (around £68,000 in today's value). The original concept being that he would stand high on a Doric column in the centre of what would be a grand civic square (what is now Centenary Square).

It was used in 1939 for the centenary of the Charter of Incoporation of the city, but it was only every crafted in plaster temporarily, with a view to it becoming a permanent feature.

The figure was called the "Spirit of Birmingham" and was wrought as a young male figure of a smith or metal worker (an alusion to our manufacturing prowess of the time) bestriding the city (in the form of the Council House). In his left arm he holds a wrought disc upon which is embossed a mother and child standing against an oak tree, to signify the birth of art in association with natural beauty.

Shame it was never made permanent...

Attachments

• City Broad St Fountain.jpg
    City Broad St Fountain.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 5
Pro Civitate, A nice bit of information thanks for that..............

Thanks for the information Pro Civitate as Cromwell says very interesting.

Moma P (Wendy)

Sprit of Birmingham (1937-38)

Sorry "It was used in 1939 for the centenary of the Charter of Incoporation of the city" should read 1938.

The Statue of Queen Victoria by Sir Thomas Brock (who drew Britannia on the pennies) made a simple error when he sculptured Victoria.....he forgot to give her a wedding ring and when noticed it was to late to put right
Three pic's
Joseph Priestley, Josiah Mason (sitting)
James Watt
Town Hall, Edward and Victoria

Attachments

• joseph priestly.jpg
    joseph priestly.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 3
  • james watt.jpg
    james watt.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Victoria-Square-in-June-1936[1].jpg
    Victoria-Square-in-June-1936[1].jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 4
Queen Victoria Statue

Great pics Cromwell. Of course when William Bloye cast the statue of Queen Victoria in bronze for the 1951 Festival of Britain, he gave her back her wedding ring.

That said, I'm not sure if the tale isn't apocryphal, since looking at any photos of Queen Victoria reveals that she had a number of rings on her hand and not just a wedding ring, so it may have been a stylistic intention by Sir Thomas.

The White Marble Statue by Peter Hollis to the Historian William Hutton, and below sculptured books, a quill pen and a bottle of ink is in Ward End Church as he is buried in the churchyard, he died in 1812 at the age of 93, the churchyard is badly neglected the church is all locked up ?.
There are two bells, one of 1714 which came from the Royal Hospital, Greenwich, and may have been presented or bequeathed to the church by William Hutton,
If a city wanted to put up a monument it ought to be to Brum's First Historian William Hutton but like all things Ward End Church will be demolished or vandalized and Hutton's Statue stolen or smashed and when its to late folk will say ....have we never had a Statue to Hutton....
I have tried on a number of occasions to have a look inside the church but its always locked and looks abandoned
Surley we..... or someone can find a way of getting a photo of the Statue.... before its to late
Old Print of William Hutton

Beyond Understanding

It's beyond me why weve left so many of these wonderful monuments to become vandalised and forgotten. I will make a new forum I think in the history section to focus on our monuments.

William Hutton I should have thought deserves some extra special attention ?

William Hutton Memorial

St. Margaret's (Ward End Church) was made redundant in 2005. The Diocese were considering demolishing it but I understand they are now looking for an altermative use. I do not know what the current situation of the Hutton monument, but I'll check with the Diocesan Secretary.

In One Thousand Years Of Brum by Carl Chinn he writes
Sixty-odd years after his passing R.K.Dent wrote another History of Birmingham and declared that the city had utterly forgotten or ignored her first Historian, and raised the question 'ought not this man to have a statue or other memorial in our midst ?'

Just changing the subject matter slightly
A nice pic of the statue of Queen Victoria which was unveiled 12 days before she died (the statue was unveiled on the 10th Jan. 1901) so was the wreath placed their on her death ? I think so....

Attachments

• Queen Victoria Statue 1901.jpg
    Queen Victoria Statue 1901.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1
Moma P ..I love history as do most folk on this forum..........but we do not seem to have a common aim ....
I wish all of us could get together and make our voices heard as one
And shout out loud ..........Why is our History being destroyed and Neglected.....I do not want glory I just want to save what little is left of our great past ....and molded the World...when it has gone...its to late

William Hutton Memorial

I've had a message from Tim Clayton, Assistant Diocesan Secretary about Mr H.

He tells me that there is a feasibility study of an architect currently working up options for proposed future community-cum-worship use.

The person who now holds keys locally is the Revd Simon Cartwright (curate, but with particular responsibility for the St Margaret's congregation). Simon and that architect are well aware of need for sensitivity to the fabric and that some contents and glass may be able to remain, depending on type of use eventually agreed upon.

There's been no sign of actual/attempted forced entry since the building was last in frequent use, and the crypt padlocks, anti-climb measures, and reinforced glazing protection have all helped.

There's been some tree-cutting and liaison with the City has helped bring CCTV surveillance to the churchyard which is beneficial to security.

What a shame that we have lost our way religiously, which means that beautiful Georgian churches are left locked up, unused and unloved.

photo included with message.

Attachments

• William-Hutton- St Margarets Church Ward End.jpg
    William-Hutton- St Margarets Church Ward End.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 0
Here is a nice pic for ya

Attachments

• City Victoria Square (2).jpg
    City Victoria Square (2).jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
Don't those statues look great outside the council house..........so regal!

Lovely photo Cromwell.

Wonderful building, I stood there waiting for a friend a couple of weeks ago and thought then how lucky for Brum 'they' didn't pul it down when they were having a clear out.:rolleyes:

Has anyone noticed looking at old photo's of Nelson everytime he was moved something went missing ...The bronze plaques around the base railings and drinking fountain ........
I suppose the railings considered dangerous but so are cars
and the drinking fountain I can understand ...but why replace the original base or was the furniture that was on it pinched

John Rogers was born in Deritend Birmingham, educated at Cambridge. For a time he served as a rector in a church in London. Later he became chaplain to merchants living in Antwerp, (in modern day Belgium). While there he met William Tyndale, a man who was busy translating the Old Testament into English. Through Tyndale, Rogers became convinced of the Reformed faith. Another scholar, Miles Coverdale, was helping Tyndale with the translation and John Rogers joined them in the work by providing marginal notes and prefaces for the translation, and in the smuggling of the forbidden Bibles back into England.
After serving for many years as a pastor in Wittenberg, Germany, John Rogers returned to England during the reign of the godly King Edward and served as a divinity lecturer at St Paul's.
When Mary took the throne and forbade gospel preaching, Rogers preached against Mary's proclamation. For a time he was put under house arrest. Though he had a wife and 11 children he would not abandon the work of proclaiming the gospel.
Eventually Bishop Bonner of London had Rogers locked up in the infamous Newgate Prison and condemned to death.
On the morning of February 4th 1555 he was awakened and told that he would be burnt at the stake that day. He met his wife and children on his way to Smithfield (the site of execution), but refused to recant his biblical beliefs. On his way to the stake he said, 'That which I have preached I will seal with my blood'. So John Rogers became the first of the 'Marian Martyrs'.
In 1863, Thomas Hope Aston addressed the Birmingham Protestant Association to appeal for a monument to John Rogers, a native of the City of Birmingham,
Aston noted that
Only last year I believe a monument was erected to the youthful martyr of Brentwood, William Hunter. Only last month a monument was unveiled, amongst assembled thousands at Gloucester, to the memory of Bishop Hooper, and it is not therefore too late to erect a monument in Birmingham to the first martyr, John Rogers.
Aston hoped for a publicly visible statue that would serve as a statement of Birmingham's adherence to Protestant values in the wake of perceived encroachment of Roman Catholicism,
When St Johns Church in Digbeth was demolished what happened to the Bust of John Rogers ?

Back