• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Happened To The Lake House In Boldmere

Janice - I thought it said 'Annuitant' but I'll have another look.
Shame the marriage took place in West Brom - I could have nipped up and had a look if it had been at St Michael's!

Janice - I thought it said 'Annuitant' but I'll have another look.
Shame the marriage took place in West Brom - I could have nipped up and had a look if it had been at St Michael's!
annuitant
əˈnjuːɪt(ə)nt/
noun
formal
  1. a person who receives an annuity

Janice - I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on a census for my 4 x g.grandmother. I think it was the 1861. My 4 x ggf sold some land and bought it for her together with one for their daughter. I can understand that as he was 40 years older. I find the whole of this thread fascinating but frustrating!

You live and learn. One side of my family were all "ag labourers" - no need to look that up! I agree - you think you are making progress and then stop again.

Not sure if this was already known but according to the 1911 census The Lake House had 9 rooms and the Randles had 2 live-in servants (a cook and a domestic).

I 'did' William Randle some time ago Janice as there is a window in St Michael's dedicated to his first wife. Unfortunately it's now mostly obscured by the mezzanine floor put in during the 1970's. It's good to bring it up though because there don't appear to be any live-in servants in the Holloway's time.

Peter, those are really great cuttings! I note that it mentions Benjamin and his 'family' not just his wife - interesting. Sad to read the last line and hear that six children died on the voyage. Wonder what sort of ship it was, must have been fairly new to be called Salamanca do you think? That's the problem, I start going off at a tangent!

I wondered about children as well but he seems to have left everything to his daughter by Rebecca - hope his weren't children who died on the voyage.

Not sure if this is the right place but carrying on the theme of 'What Happened ......' I'm trying to find out what happened to the lake itself. There are various schools of thought about its position and even whether it actually existed at all. In 1841 there was a hamlet called 'Baldmore Lake' and as the title of this thread suggests, there was a lake there at some point. I have a map from about 1800 which shows the lake with the Chester Road running through it. I wondered if anyone had a map of the area which shows the contours? Maybe this would give some indication of where it would have formed.

I'm also working on the possibility that it may have been formed from streams which came down from the Sutton Park pools but I'm not having much luck proving this one way or another. One thought is that these pools were altered and the flow of water diverted. Hawthorn Brook appears behind the College and provided a swimming bath for the students. It then carried on down to Witton Lakes. Did the Lakehouse stream follow the same pattern but end in Baldmore Lake?

A point of interest is that some of the residents in Sycamore Road (parallel to Lakehouse Road) had to have their properties rebuilt due to subsidence which may have been caused by underground streams.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

These are the maps, which are more sketches really. The first one is conjectural and I don't know where the original information it's based on came from.
The second one is to do with the boundary and the Erdington enclosures.
The third one is 'after Tomlinson' - the original was drawn in 1760 presumably concerned with the turnpike road .
Sorry about the condition, they've had a lot of wear!

Attachments

• Sketch Conjectural.jpg
    Sketch Conjectural.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Pre 1801 .jpg
    Pre 1801 .jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 22
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 24
Amazing what Peter and Janice have done! Thank you both. I'm going to spend a while looking at everything.

(The above sentence was typed some time ago - I forgot to post it. Oh dear!)

I see what you mean. The top part of the blue "loop" seems to match. I am at an exam meeting all day tomorrow but when i am back I will try to enlarge my map and see where that line goes to.

Found a reference to "Boldmere Lake Cottage"- maybe it was connected with the Lake House. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 18
Thank you Janice - I'm going cross-eyed looking at everything. I have to compile the parish magazine today but then I'll get back to the lake.

Viv, love the advert - you don't see many ads for goats in Sutton now. Do you think it was a child's cart? I can't see a goat pulling much can you? I haven't heard of Boldmere Lake Cottage before. Another bit to add to the argument. There's a small building on a map on an earlier post just about where The Lake House later appears on the 1871 census so it may have been that.

On the 1841 census there is a small hamlet called 'Baldmore Lake' but this disappears by the next census. As I've said before, the original road followed the boundary so I'm not sure where the hamlet was. I've tried tracing all the people but they have dispersed by the 1851 census.

Viv, Just had a thought and looked at the 1871 census but Benjamin and his neighbours are listed as living at 'New Oscott' - no individual house names.

Can anyone tell me what was at 78 Lichfield Street, presumably in Birmingham, at that time (probably the newspaper office, knowing my luck!).

The following are listed at 78 Lichfield St in the 1872 Post Office directory, which should refer to 1871:

78 Buckley James, glass cutter
78 Evans & Little, screw manufacturers
78 Peakman Joseph, gun barrel borer
78 Darby Thomas, gun. polisher •
78 Haines John, metal spinner
78 Wood William, gun polisher
78 Finch George, #lass cutter

Back