• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What do these letters mean?

Hi Wendy

First time using the Forum but HAD to get in contact. I am researching Oliver Baker so am really excited you have found the grave of his father and that it has an inscription to Oliver. Don't know whether you know but as well as being a talented artist exhibiting at the Royal Academy, and designing jewellery for Libertys, he was also an important antiquarian. Baker was a very active member of the the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, he also owned an antiques shop in Stratford-upon-Avon. Baker sold mostly 16th and 17th century furniture to amongst others Graham Baron Ash at Packwood House and the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust to furnish what was then known as Mary Arden's House. My personal interst is in his links to Selly Manor in Bournville, which is where I work. Baker advised Laurence Cadbury on what furniture to collect for the manor in the 1910s, 1920s and early 1930s, and sold him quite a bit too.

Anyway, do you have a photograph or the Baker grave or a location so I can go and find it myself? Many thanks, Dan

Hello Dan and thanks for the extra information. I have mainly concentrated on the people actually buried in Key Hil cemetery but as he was mentioned on the family grave I decided to delve deeper and am so glad I did. Now we have even more information about Oliver. I have put all the information in a folder which is kept at the Pen Room so it can be accessed by anyone.. I am away at the moment but when I am home I will send you the inscription grave number and hopefully a photo. I can always take another if I can't find it. How lucky you are to work in such a lovely building.

The grave is in section N number 289.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Dan :)
I am so glad that you found the information you were looking for on our forum. Well done Wendy for finding the grave inscription to Oliver Baker - it has turned out to be very interesting!

Dan - there is an open day at Warstone Lane Cemetery on Saturday 10th September
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32787&p=410406#post410406
See post #20.
It is just a few minutes walk away form key Hill Cemetery and people who help at both Cemeteries will be there.

Thanks Polly - couldn't make it on Saturday as Selly Manor was open for Heritage Open Days too. The forum is such a useful tool! Dan

Here is the inscription Dan.

Grave N 289

In memory of George son of Samuel Henry and Charlotte Baker who died November 7th 1856 aged 2 years. Also Alice daughter of the above who died December 14th 1858 aged 14 days. Also Alfred Baker son of the above who died December 1st 1872 aged 21 years. Also of Harry Baker who died at Bournemouth March 16th 1875 age 25 years. Also of Basil son of Harry Baker who died May 13th 1876 age 1 year and 8 months. Also Charlotte Baker the beloved wife of Samuel Henry Baker who died October the 26th 1892 aged 68 years. Also Samuel Henry Baker who died December 22nd 1909 aged 85 years. Also Oliver R.E., R.C.A. born 30th March 1856 died 8th April 1939. Buried at Brearley. Also Frank Baker died August 30th 1943 aged 90 years. The memorial is a flat slab sadly broken.

It makes sad reading but hope the information is of some help:) Wendy.

Thank you so so much Wendy. Reading that information is quite shocking at how much tragedy there must have been in their family. The info is incredibly helpful for my research and confirms where Oliver Baker himself is buried. Thank you for giving me a grave reference, how would I go about finding it at Key Hill, is there a plan somewhere? Thank you again. Dan

Key_Hill_map_edit.jpg
Here is a map of Key Hill Cemetery. As you can see section N is in front of the catacombs just off the main path in from Ickneild Street

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos Brian.
What an interesting thread this has turned out to be (as always!) :):)
I love it when the research done at Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries helps people with their own research and also brings new members to the forum.

Me too Polly I have learned something here as well which I hope will help others. A lot of schools and university students use the forum for research so as you say makes for interesting reading.

Back