• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What details needed to supply for a will?

ellie

master brummie
My Richard Samuel Cooper died in 1908, Vol 69, page 162 Birmingham. I am told there was a will. I would like to obtain a copy of the will. How do I access this info from Australia so I can apply for a search?

don't know if this will help.

The City Archives on the 6th floor of Birmingham Central Library holds copies of wills proved in Birmingham from 1858 - 1941. These are available to view by visiting the City Archives. Please check our our webpage for our opening hours and reader’s ticket requirements. The wills are bound in very large volumes and so it is not possible to take photocopies. However you are welcome to bring in a camera to take a photograph of the relevant pages in the volume. (although note that we do not allow flash photography).

Alternatively it is possible to obtain copies of wills proved after 1858 by writing to:
The Postal Searches and Copies Department
The Probate Registry
1st Floor
Castle Chambers
Clifford Street
York YO1 9RG
Tel: +44 (1904) 666777
Fax: +44 (1904) 666776

Ellie. If you send for the death certificate this will give the exact date of death. Then contact the library and ask if they will look for you there may be a small charge. This will give you all the info needed to apply for the will. I think you have to send to York for the will but that may have changed since I sent for mine. Someone will put us right.

Thanks to all. I will follow all advice because all other hints, clues and info provided by forum members have proved to be exact. You are all a clever bunch.

hi Ellie

you do not need to send for information relating to Richard's will. here is all the information I expect you want.

he died 24/3/1908
his address was 14 barn Street Birmingham
he left all of his estate to his wife Alice Frances Cooper £456 pound 11 shillings
the will was proved 5/5/1908

I have more information relating to richard and will send it to you either my pm or email if you want.

Sue

Just for inforamtion, deatils of wills are available on probate quarters register. This shows wills and administrations(for those who did not leave a will) until 1943 it shows the basic details although you may have to send to York, see above, for full transcripts.

Sue

Back