• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warstone Lane catacombs - Patrick/Kimberley family

leslam

Brummie by marriage
WL_patrick_kimberley_50pc.jpg

This plaque is situated at a catacomb entrance on the bottom tier, left-hand side. It commemorates the following:

James Patrick , born January 20th 1860, died June 19th 1934
Emily Charlotte Patrick (wife) born July 5th 1859, died. Jun 2nd 1935
Louisa Jane Kimberley (wife’s sister) born Feb 4th 1857, died Jan 8th 1947
Sarah Elizabeth Salt (maid), born Sept 1888, d July 23rd 1945

If you know more about this family, please add it to this thread to help as gain more understanding about the people who are commenrated on the plaques at the catacombs.

Last edited:
James Patrick of 51 Belgrave Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, died 19 June 1934 at the General Hospital Birmingham, Probate Birmingham 21 August to Emily Charlotte Patrick Widow. Effects £3359 15s 4d.

Death registration gives age as 74 so possibly born 1860?
In 1901 he living at 120 Princess Rd, Edgbaston and occupation is Managing Director of Pressing Works - Litho and Letter press.
In 1911 he is at the same address - Letter press printer - employer.

Suzanne

I've re-loaded the image and decided to see if I could find a birth, based on the date that Suzanne suggested.
Typically, there were two possible candidates for James Patrick in 1860! Both the following are Q1 1860. No other Birmingham entries bewteen 1858 and 1862

Patrick James Birmingham 6d 94
Patrick James Benjamin Birmingham 6d 176

As James Patrick was a printer in 1891 and Managing director of Printing works in 1901 I think the likeliest candidate
would be the one in Coneybere Street 1881.
It is a really wonderful entry, what a mixed family.

68 & 69 Coneybere street, all occupants born in Birmingham

James Patrick age 45 Draper
Susannah 44
Susannah 22 Assistant to father
James 21 General printer letterpress
Jane 18
Rosina 15
Francis 13
William 3
Arthur 6 months
Jacob Wilson 81 wifes father Retired Town Crier
Julia S Wilson 34 Attendant on Father J Wilson.

Interestingly,
James patrick is listed in the Burial Register with no Grave Number
Emily is LT4 catacomb
Louisa is R Circle (Catacomb)
Sarah salt L4 catacomb
!?!

Well I must say a huge Thank You to Leslam for posting this photo!
I should have spent more time wandering about the graves when I visited Warstone. James is, as you have rightly discovered Jacob Wilson's Grandson. Jacob being the last Town Crier of Birmingham.

Jacob's Grave is actually on the top level of the Cemetery as you stand in the bottom of the horseshoe of the catacoombs looking into it, it's at the top right side. Like James' tomb stone it's in a very sad state of repair now. I've posted a photo in the thread Town Crier of Birmingham.

xxx Sioux

Welcome Sioux!
I'm so pleased that you found the picture and thread useful :)

Thank you for adding the picture into the other thread; it's lovely to have links to people in Warstone Lane. The appearnce of the catacombs has changed over the last year or so, with a concerted effort from the Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane to clear the ivy that was engulfing everything. As you may have seen from other threads, we even found doors that hadn't seen the light of day for years!

Back