• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walter H Middleton daughter info

The Annie Chadwick who marries Alfred Jones in 1958 (Coventry) listed both as Chadwick and Gratrix, was an Annie Budgen who married a John Chadwick (1920) and then a Frank Gratrix (1947).

She is on the 1939 register living in Salford with John Chadwick with the names Chadwick, Gratrix and Jones b1898. So any Jones/Chadwick children are not hers.

I was about to say if Annie was born in 1906 it was not very likely that she had any chidren after 1958.

The Annie Chadwick who marries Alfred Jones in 1958 (Coventry) listed both as Chadwick and Gratrix, was an Annie Budgen who married a John Chadwick (1920) and then a Frank Gratrix (1947).

She is on the 1939 register living in Salford with John Chadwick with the names Chadwick, Gratrix and Jones b1898. So any Jones/Chadwick children are not hers.
As a chadwick. The boys were born 1944 and 1947.

Ok, Harriet 'married' Alfred Jones and had 2 children. There is a death for Harriet Ann Jones 1974 Bham. Dob 23 Aug 1906 which matches that of Annie H Middleton on the 1939 register.

The 1958 marriage isn't theirs though.

Ok, Harriet 'married' Alfred Jones and had 2 children. There is a death for Harriet Ann Jones 1974 Bham. Dob 23 Aug 1906 which matches that of Annie H Middleton on the 1939 register.

Maybe the 1958 marriage was the child Alfred jones?

Ok got part of it.

Harriet A Chadwick married Joseph Gavin, registered Mar qtr 1925, Brkenhead.

Harriet A Gavin married Alfred B Jones, registered Sep qtr 1947, Birmingham.

In between the 2 she was with Walter H Middleton who had left his first wife Ethel Amy Morrell and had 4 children.

The 2 Jones children are listed under Gavin as well.

There are no 'real' children from the Gavin/Chadwick marriage so my money it still on Ethel as Ettie.

Okay so i found a walter h Middleton born in brum in 1895, which was the date i had previously. Father walter middleton and mother elizabeth.

No, Walter Henry Middleton was born 26 Dec 1901 as mentioned by Alberta. 1939 register ties in with Harriet Chadwick.

He was the son of Charles Middleton and Rosa Blanche Brown.

Have you a reason to disregard him?

Ethel Middleton, daughter of Walter Henry, was known as Ettie in our family

Last edited:
No, Walter Henry Middleton was born 26 Dec 1901 as mentioned by Alberta. 1939 register ties in with Harriet Chadwick.

He was the son of Charles Middleton and Rosa Blanche Brown.

Have you a reason to disregard him?
No reason, just thought i'd mention it.

It would seem then that with Grea's post the original question about Ettie, half sister of Doreen, is answered.

She being Ethel M Middleton, the daughter of Walter Henry Middleton and his 'first' wife Ethel Amy Morrell.

And some other interesting info uncovered along the way.

The Walter Henry Middleton in our family tree didn’t show he married again after his wife’s early death, however, he did live with someone, taking his daughter with him.

There doesn't appear to be any marriage between Walter and Harriet, and when Harriet did re-marry she was listed as Gavin, her name from her first marriage and not Middleton which would tally with what you know.

Why did he take only 1 daughter I wonder.

I’m not sure why he only took one child. My gran would often find Walters wife trying to sleep in the toilet at the bottom of her yard in Sherlock street, she had her kids with her. She ended up in an asylum in Wilson Green then transferred to Rubery where she died

It would seem then that with Grea's post the original question about Ettie, half sister of Doreen, is answered.

She being Ethel M Middleton, the daughter of Walter Henry Middleton and his 'first' wife Ethel Amy Morrell.

And some other interesting info uncovered along the way.
You have all been amazing and such a help, couldn't have done this without you. It's been so fascinating, thank you all very very much.

So it was Ethel that Walter took with him when he went to live with Harriet?

And if so it is probably Ethel who is one of the blacked out entries on the 1939 register?

There is a marriage for an Ethel M Middleton to a Reggie C Ward, Bham 1945. Reggie Cecil Ward seems to have been in Hampshire and there are a number of Ward/Middleton children registered in Hampshire 1948-1956.

Reggie Cecil Ward died 2006 Hampshire and there is a death for an Ethel May Ward registered Southampton 1987. Her dob is listed as 10 Jul 1923 which tallies with the birth registration of Ethel M Middleton.

So if that's her, then she shouldn't be blacked out and it should be possible to have her entry revealed.

How interesting that Ethel May Middleton married Reggie C Ward
because a Rosie Middleton b 1926 mother Morrell married Albert C Ward in 1949 New Forest.
Reggie C Ward born 1923 Lymington mother Skew and Albert C Ward b 1921 Lymington mother Skew.
They are both on 1939 register in New Forest with their parents William and Lily Louisa who married in 1905 and had quite a big family

I couldn't find Rosie's marriage and I was obviously looking in the wrong place.

So 2 of the sisters married 2 brothers then.

It shows that even if Walter only took one daughter the sisters kept in touch with each other.

I’m not sure why he only took one child. My gran would often find Walters wife trying to sleep in the toilet at the bottom of her yard in Sherlock street, she had her kids with her. She ended up in an asylum in Wilson Green then transferred to Rubery where she died
Grea i Don't suppose you have any pictures of the Morrell family?

Back