• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W J Harris (Birmingham) Ltd, Mathematical Instrument Maker

PAUL.ENGLAND

Brummie babby
Hi Can anyone shed any light on the firm of
W J Harris (Birmingham) Ltd, who were Mathematical Instrument Makers around 1900-1940
I have an address of 63 Hockley Hill

Any info would be helpful a photo of their works or map would be excellent

Thanks in anticipation

EDITED: Map was incorrect I didn't realise 111/112 was around the corner from the bus depot. Map also shows 63 Hockley Hill.

Attachments

• whitmore-st-hockley-hill.jpg
    whitmore-st-hockley-hill.jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
He is listed as an optician at 91 Shadwell St in the 1892 Kellys directory. By the 1895 and 1896 editions he is listed as "Mathematical Instrument maker and optician: drawing pins" at the same address, but by the 1897 edition he has moved to the Hockley Hill address. and is still there (though seems to have dropped the optician ) in the 195 edition. By 1921 he is at 111,112 Whitmore St. where they remain till at least 1950, but by 1955 they are at Chase Road, Brownhills and were still there in 1973 Note that dates of directory are publication dates and probably refer to year before

hi john is your map meant to show no 63

lyn
Hi Lyn, I couldn't find the company at 63 Hockley Hill (although Mike has found reference in the 1897 Kelly's) only at 111&112 Whitmore Street, I can only assume those premises were where the bus depot appeared in the 50s.

Hi Lyn, I couldn't find the company at 63 Hockley Hill (although Mike has found reference in the 1897 Kelly's) only at 111&112 Whitmore Street, I can only assume those premises were where the bus depot appeared in the 50s.
ahh got you...thank you

lyn

Thankyou all for your replies
Does anyone know whereabouts number 63 is on Hockley Hill or 111-112 is on Whitmore St, Actual position map would be superb

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul, the maps from the 50s (with property numbers) used to be on old-maps but are no longer available. The nls (National Library of Scotland) should have them later this year.

Aerial view from 1948.

Attachments

• whitmore-st-aerial-1948.jpg
    whitmore-st-aerial-1948.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
at a rough guess i think no 63 would have been round about here on google st view

Back