• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W H Smiths Wholesalers In 1950s

Elmdon Boy

master brummie
Back in the early 1950s my Mum and Dad ran a newsagents in Clements Road, Yardley. My Dad had to periodically travel to the W H Smiths wholesalers somewhere near the city centre, and sometimes as a small boy I would go with him, especially near to Christmas, to pick up ordered annuals and books. I loved it in there as all the new annuals for the coming year were stacked up, so I had a sneak preview. Very privileged as these premises were not open to the public.
I remember the premises had a roller shutter on the street front with a door in the shutters, can picture it now, but where about was it, anybody know.

Thanks for that mikejee. Didn't remember it being so close to New St Station, or so close to the old News Theatre picture house, but I would have only been 5 or 6. I do remember Dad taking me to see the cartoons at the News theatre Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and all the Looney Tunes characters. I seem to remember going in and staying as long as you like with a continuous loop of cartoons. He might have took me there after visiting the wholesalers.

Looking at the map, it looks like there was a goods entrance at the back in Hinkley St, so you may well have gone there

smashing childhood memories elmdon boy...i can still remember the thrill at christmas time to receive a new album...i know this may seem daft but the pages had a certain smell to them....i can still smell it now:D

lyn

Back