• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Visitors to our gardens

Oh dear Roger I was reffering to Baron photo above your 4 trees. His had a butterfly on. My dad had one in our garden when I was a child especially to attract butterflies. Jean.

i have a jackrussell and a golden retriver in my garden,need i say more
i do not why jean but every thing you posted today on this post i seem to no before hand the slowworm the mole the lion poo now the dog,it must be esp through the computor
pete

pete I do other things with Moles I won't show the photo unless you want me to.:rolleyes:
I do like me Grass snakes, Slow worms and my loads of Bats in the Loft and sometimes in the Bedrooms.:)

That massive fox came back tonight and just sat on the top of the waterfall stairing at us. Pete went to take a photo but his camera is playing up again. Try with mine Saturday. Our little dog slipped into the middle pool the other night and I had to stay up till late drying him off. Bye the way "do foxes eat or catch fish" Jean. The one in the picture does. I put it in the wrong place earlier. Sorry. He's on the tree at the bottom of a neighbours garden. Jean.

This butterfly landed on my kitchen curtain two weeks ago. These starlings came to visit this morning and they are supposed to be on the decline. It's so funny when they all have a bath in the small pond. Jean.

Astonite wonder if it is a young cockatiel. Our lemon one was like that as a youngster. There was one escaped round hear and lasted sometime then just disappeared. The one in your photo has rather large feet for a sparrow. Did he stay around?. Think if it was a sparrow he wouldn't have survived long but it's a tame bird that escaped.

Alf definately not a cockatoo but it lookes so like my cockatiel when she was younger before the tiel grew on her head. It's a lovely creature Astonite. It was just the thickness of your birds feet that gave me the dought as they are so thick. Jean.

Ta cocka [Alf] yes we have three of the little darlings that wake us up at six most mornings. They are photo's of adult ones and i do feel the one astonite had in is garden could very well be an albino sparrow. What a privilidge. It was just that one of ours looked like that one as a baby before her thingy grew on her head. The only thing albino we saw was a dear crossing the road on the way from Bewdley towards the Button Oak and guess what our camera was in it's case [again] Bye. Jean.

That massive fox just came back and he brought his mate with him. Didn't get the camera in time but i'm determined to snap him [them]. Jean.

one morning last spring as i opened the curtains to look up the garden,i noticed a goldcrest just sitting there on my patio, it was so still, i kept staring at it but it didnt move ,then i noticed another one further over to the left of the patio, i kept very still, then the first goldcrest moved over to the other one and started to dance and flitter about,and do his mating dance,then finally he trod his mate, then they both flew off together, how i wish i could have had my vidio camera ready, i thought it was beautuful

Just noticed the photo of the tree, was it a heron in the tree?
They will eat fish as I'm sure you know. They live in the marsh by use in the summer months, fly south for the winter. :)Mo
Bye the way "do foxes eat or catch fish" Jean. The one in the picture does.

Hey up all you ornifollowgists. Just happened to have my camera on hand with this landed on my dwarf apple tree. Difficult to identify head on but i reckon its a Flamingo...amazing a!

Hi. He was back again the other day in his usual spot only this time he was walking up and down our neighbours shed. When Pete opened the door he went off down the road. We know when he's around as all the birds go barmy. Jean.

Great Photos G G.

Hi Sakura, You’re very observant; I noticed too that this particular Phoenicopterus rubber clearly has a problem with its feet, probably: Unilateral or rather bilateral oedema of the lower extremity. I’m also not sure that the term Phoenicopterus rubber reveals its true nature because on closer inspection it appears more like felt or soft wool. More correctly it should be called Phoenicopterus Stuffeddollus.

Hows about common gout Beamish. Thanks for your comment there were two of them the other day and I thought they only came in one's. Still what do I know. Jean.

Well it's not really a garden, more of a yard, but here are some of our visitors.

OK the triffid is a vine pretending.
The mantis is a baby - I've seen some really big ones when I haven't had the camera to hand.
The lizard is a transparent orangey-pink. He only comes out at night and usually goes behind the light fitting. He's very fast, hence the lousy picture.

Stan

Stan the nearest thing I've had to that is a stick insect and they bred like crazy. Do you get geko's visiting at night. I love them. Jean.

Jean: we have the orangey-pink ones called Zaramanques and green-grey ones with barred tails called Lagartijas. When I hopefully said "geko" I just got a blank look (from the Spaniards, I mean, not the lizards lol)
Can't find a pic of the green one. Will have to wait till spring.
But here's one of a BIG mantis.
Stan

Jean - Your birds in the tree are Great Blue Herons aren't they? Is that in your garden or at the trailer? They are lovely birds. :) Mo

They are trees at the back of our garden. We have two little groves one to the left and one to the right and nothing behind us. That is what we look out onto. That tree is at the bottom of the first house in the grove. We get so many different birds at the van but many in our garden at home. Jean.

That's a lovely photo and I am not afraid of things like that as I have to feed Billy my bull frog on hoppers and locusts. Some have been known to escape as did the crickets last year. Good job Pete's hearing isn't so good as you know the noise they make. I just turned up the tele. Jean.

Very nice to have the Great Blue Herons visiting, you or someone must have a pool with fish or frogs. :) Mo

How did you guess Mo. Our neighbour has one too. Will sort a photo out for you. They have emptied our main pool in the past but Pete has netted it in such a way the fish can't swim over and the birds don't get stuck infact they feed off the net when the sticks don't go through. The middle pool is where the newts breed. We have had to net that too as the magpies feed from their when the spawn hatches. Jean.

This is a few years ago when we rescued a little wren from a cat thinking it would die from fright. She - he recovered started to feed and after a few days flew off. One did nest in the conifer by the van and who knows it may have been the same one. Unfortunately we went down the van the next week and cats had destroyed the nest. Jean.

Back