• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vine Inn Lichfield Road Aston

Rather peculiar that the turnpike is labelled as Birmingham to Watford Gap, when, as far as I know, Watford Gap is down towards London

Hi Mike, there is a Watford Gap on the Lichfield Road just before Shenstone going from Mere Green , if I remember correctly.

An aerial view from 1952 shows that some back windows (ref #142) were bricked up then.
Vine_1952.jpg
image from 'britainfromabove'

been told that the vine is now up for let so it could be the owner has run out of money to fully refurbish ..still needs a lot of work doing to it...sad to say i cant see it re opening as a pub

lyn

we need to read from post 12 of this thread...info about the gardens and maps showing they were situated at the back of the vine..must have been very impressive and so sad to see the pub still languishing

lyn

I suppose the platform was the 19thC equivalent to decking. He was ahead of his time! I love that the the assembly rooms would be 'thrown open' so much more impressive than 'opened'.

Yes LadyP, “thrown open” much more dramatic and enthusiastic. It’s almost implying that “even in bad weather, we can guarantee a dance floor and entertainment” !
Viv.

this will need confirming as ive only just been told that this pub dating from at least 1866 has burnt down...if it is true it was only a matter of time :mad: :(...we have done quite a bit of research on this pub with many photos old and new posted from post 1...

lyn

thanks john..not quite burnt to the ground but it may as well have been...no doubt it will become a demo job...so much history behind it as well

lyn

Back